Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just another 50 Shoebox project off in the corner.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Mar 2, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Updates! We demand updates! And those.measurements too if you get a moment. :D

2. Lono

Lono

hah! its really been off in the corner lately. Been focused on shaving down the honey do list so I can have June-August off.

3. Lono

Lono

Okay, the driveshaft sits approx 10 inches off the ground
    The scrub line is the rear shock mount at 4.5 inches off ground on 205 15's. . If I blow a rear they're about 3/8" lower than the rim. so they'll be digging in.
    A three inch block would have given me full clearance to the rim.

4. Lono

Lono

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm liking them. kinda different than the usual.

5. Car is looking great. You sure move right along. A question about your scrub line thou. I'm using 3 inch blocks and had to flip my shock plates to clear the scrub line and added air shocks to bump up the rear if i need to while driving on our cow path roads. Your springs must have a healthier arch than mine. I've have 225's on all 4 corners.

6. skoh73

skoh73

Looking slick!

7. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

On the spring pad/shock mount plate. If you look you will notice a curled lip on the ends of that plate. I very conservatively cut off the curled lip material do the plate is now level all the way across. I then traded them side to side and flipped them upside down. That slightly moves the shock mount location BUT it puts the whole thing above the scrub line. You have to cut the spring u bolts CLOSE though.

Some kind of plate with recessed spring bolt holes (think "U" shaped) would move the spring bolts up above the scrub line and wouldn't be that hard to fab.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the measurements Lono, and I dig the caps!

9. Lono

Lono

Mr.Coker got a hold of my visa card today.
    Being the steering has been all rebuilt I chose to go for the glamor look of bias over the smooth, comfortable ride of radials. The alliance membership save me 10%.

10. Lono

Lono

Time to fill the empty bay with a chebby. Needing to do the brake system on his build.

[​IMG]

11. Lono

Lono

A perfect day for a car meet.
    Sunny, hot and nothing else to do.
    Done mowing...

[​IMG]

Did the Bodwell quarter mile and back for fun, a little hill climb up the driveway and took it to the side for a wash before the meet.

[​IMG]

Only one other car showed up. Maybe next year I'll have to advertise it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think Corky has the right Idea, find a corner in the sun and enjoy.

[​IMG]

I'm liking the new ride height.

[​IMG]

In a couple weeks, the chop begins!
    Confessions of a madman: No, I wont be doing it myself. Anyone can cut off a roof, its putting back together that takes some skills that I know I dont have. If I could have found a basket case to try it out on first, maybe then i would have but I'm not going to risk it on this one, the car is too clean to gamble over delusions of grandeur.

Hire experience = an excellent job, Do it myself = another half finished shoebox chop on craigslist.

12. daddio211

daddio211

You need to move closer to me. We never have only two cars show up for a cruise, even if its raining!

Can't wait to see the chop in progress. How deep are you cutting her?

13. Lono

Lono

Chuckle, just a giggle. I did the brake system on the chev, the owner hasnt picked it up yet.
    Tyler is going to do 4.5 in front, 9 in the back. I gave him Chris Canseys car as one to go by.

14. Lono

Lono

I think i need to hunt down a new carb. this one is pretty much pooched. the casting is pretty pitted and the base is worn out. Time to call in Uncle Max me thinkst.

15. skoh73

skoh73

I love the way the car looks now, but a tasteful chop would look good. I hope you're kidding about the chop dimensions- I think that is way too much and would look out of proportion. Just my 2 cents.

16. Lono

Lono

Here's one Tyler is doing now with those dimentions. Maybe it sounds worst than it is. To me any less isnt worth doing. Tyler Selzler is truly a master craftsman.
    [​IMG]

17. Lono

Lono

The Big day tomorrow.
    In the morning, load up the 50 and take it to Tyler ( http://www.liquidsteelhotrods.com ) for its haircut. Just a little off the top.
    That's his light blue one in the foreground and the one he just chopped beside it.
    [​IMG]

Then, while the trailer is still hooked up, its off to the coast to pick up my barn find...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was scanning craigslist when I noticed a 50 ford that caught my eye. Off in the distance dark barn all I could see was the grill and the shine of the bumper. I called right away, talked about the 50 for a moment then asked about the old one in the barn. Yep, he'd sell that one too. I told him I would be down there in the morning ( 250 miles away).
    When I got there, I was horrified that he had asked a friend to pull it out and he stuck a for sale sign on it just in case there was any other interest. The pressure was on to do a deal pretty darn quick. So after having it for a little over 30 years, he let it go.

Should get home tomorrow night around midnight, then I'll give it a wash, cut polish it and take it for a short toot around. I have tires coming for it.

Then this winter: chop, lower and repaint.
    Tomorrow will be gooder day.

18. skoh73

skoh73

Now that I see the dimensions of the chop I like it more. His work looks really nice. Oh man, what a find- I love it!

19. Lono

Lono

After rebuilding the door hinges, Tyler got out the axe!

[​IMG]

No turning back now!

20. daddio211

daddio211

21. Lono

Lono

more on the chop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agreed to go without Vent windows... much cleaner and I can use the extra arm room.

The final cut 4.5 up front... 9 in the back.

22. Lono

Lono

23. Lono

Lono

24. Lono

Lono

Stopped in to see Tyler today... walked out with a wet spot.

[​IMG]

Tyler's happy to be getting ahead of the game. Taking less time to get further. I really like the sounds of that.

[​IMG]

and now... the glamor shot......

[​IMG]

25. daddio211

daddio211

Damn he works fast!

26. Lono

Lono

Not so much fast but accurate. He's done enough of them that there's no time needed for head scratching, wondering and second guessing. I feel totally comfortable with what he's doing. If god had only granted me a 10th of the skill he has I would be blessed.

27. daddio211

daddio211

I know guys like that, you just have to stand back, watch and smile. Gimme a call when you have some time.

28. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

build is coming along nicely.

29. EBW

EBW

That has to be good when you see someone getting on it and knowing what they are doing ! Can't wait to see the rest.

30. Great build and it is moving fast! Subscribed.