Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc Brakes and Wheel adapters????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, May 20, 2012.

1. Has anyone ever used wheel adapters on Disc Brakes?

On the 40 Coupe, I have a dropped axle w/DB and 5 x 4 1/2 pattern. I have a chance to pick up a set of American 5-spokes with a 5 x 5" pattern.

So, my first thought was the 4.5 to 5 adapters? then I thought of re-drilling the rotors or finding some 5 x 5" car/truck rotors. I like the latter if I can get them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Murph

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

As long as you can deal with the increased track width you'll get from adapters, they're probably the cheapest/easiest/quickest solution. Finding a 5X5 rotor would be my first choice, but finding one with the correct offset, thickness, and bearing sizes to fit your existing spindles/caliper/brackets may be problematic.

Bob

3. Yea...that's what I'm thinking, but they gotta be out there. Thanks

Murph

4. fordor41

fordor41

Check the lug nuts often on adapters. They tend to loosen up

5. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

A lot of dirt modified race cars use a 5 x 5 bolt pattern rotor and they use a pinto type spindle. Speedway or someone like that may be able to help you out without having to run the adapters.

6. Great idea....Thanks

7. Overall....with what I'm hearing...It may be best to start with the right wheels/pattern in the first place. The 5 x 5 5-spokes are available from a friend at a good $$, but adding up all the required parts etc. it would be more of a hassle than its worth.:eek:

Thanks all for the comments.

Murph
    :cool:

8. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Someone sells the rotors with a 5x5 pattern at pretty much the same price as the 5x4.5 and 5x4.75. Saw them advertised a few weeks ago but can't remember whose ad I was looking at.

9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

You mentioned that you had Disc brakes already, I would have your rotors redrilled to the 5x5 pattern, unless there is some reason that they cannot be redrilled. To me that would be the cheapest I would think.

Depending on what disc brake kit you have you might be able to use the early 70's style big Impala/chevy wagon rotors they have a 5x5 bolt pattern.

Someone on here was advertising for the DO-IT Yourselfer to redrill your
    own rotors if you cannot find someone locally.

Super Bell has the information on their website(see link below) I believe and if not call them they should be able to give you the info you need.
    http://www.peteandjakes.com/TechTips2.aspx

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. Someone sells the rotors with a 5x5 pattern at pretty much the same price as the 5x4.5 and 5x4.75. Saw them advertised a few weeks ago but can't remember whose ad I was looking at.

Thanks for the info guys...looks like we're zeroing in on the solution.

Murph

11. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia