Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Pink described Mulligans fire/accident in American Nitro.

And for Mike Sorokin,Don Prudhomme was suited up ready to run but couldn't really see the whole thing...just a noisy flash & a bunch of sparks & stuff when it happened.
    Prudhomme freaked out & tried to get out of the car & a crewguy or someone grabbed him & said "you dont want to see any of this"---really sad deal.

2. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Were were at OCIR that night in 67 with our 67 Blue Hell vette and were the first to run down the track after the accident. People became motionless and the air was silent. Although the announcer Paul Culley said Mike was Ok and was just being taken to El Toro Marine Base, we all knew. It was like the crashes of Harrell, Scott Kalitta and many more. He ran in the spectators lane and when iyt came apart it was like nothing I had ever or since withnessed. When the engine departed, it sailed at full throttle over the dirt embankment and explooded at its peak. I had heard that many drivers thought about hanging it up. These guys and more have made the sport safer. God Bless them.

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's one of the views I had on Flickr to break the ice. Willy Redford was a NHRA Div 4 tech guy and he'd get me press passes if I mowed his lawn-no fun task in the blazing Texas sun. Anyway, a pass got me trackside at Amarillo for this run by Leroy Goldstein at Amarillo Texas in 1967.

Attached Files:

4. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Drag racing to me has always seemed like a very close knit group. When someone dies in the sport it affects all of the sport. A local racer was killed recently and while looking for information on what caused his accident I stumbled on this site, www.dragstripdeaths.webs.com
    It is not distasteful and it is respectfully put together to remeber most of the people who have lost their lives at the dragstip. In some cases it also includes some insight of their personnal lives. It is a humbling reminder of how dangerous dragracing can be.
    Bob

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

You'll re-think your priorities........ or should.
    Looking back, it hurts thinking about the guys who survived being blown up in SE Asia who came home and got killed in a car or on a bike.
    Tom S. in Tn.

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Thanks for posting the link, but i'm not sure why we need such a site or why the site exists?

At the very least they should get into more detail about the actual accident; For example there seem to be many rollovers----was there a rollbar/cage installed?

7. WCD

WCD

I have ventured to the site on occassion. In so doing I was suprised to learn that so many fatalities occurred in the early days of stock class racing. Poor seat belts or none at all attributed to a lot of drivers being flung from their vehicles in much the same fashion as one would find on public highways. Suprisingly not as many fatalities resulted from fire. In the hotter classes (basically anything that required a parachute, say 140 MPH and up) again loss of control was the culprit. Early jet cars were notorias for this.

8. WCD

WCD

Texas had its own pro-fuel circuit and one for jr fuelers too. Some excellent cars emanated from my birth state.

9. 296ardun

296ardun

I am a member of drag racing deaths...it is just a memorialization of those who perished ... with as much information as is available...the reason that there are so few details is that many early accidents were not reported to the press because bad publicity could and did shut down drag strips...I have researched some of the deaths I knew about and it is very hard to find reliable information...the site does a great job doing its mission

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

I have a number of pictures to post of the Div 4 fuel cars from the '60's. I was going to do them as attachments like the Goldstein view but I see a lot of larger views loaded right into the thread. How's that work? Thanks in advance.

11. WCD

WCD

Got any of Floyd Heads 1970 entry? The cowl art work was simply gorgeous. Right up there with Jesse Perkins Cow Palace Shell of the same year.

12. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's some more Div 4 action at Tulsa. No idea who these guys are. Maybe John Wiebe on the far side? If anyone recognizes these guys sing out. Bob Gibson has my original Kodachrome so I guess I need to borrow them back to make better scans. Gotta love the action tho.

Attached Files:

13. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

What year in the shot above? ^^^^^
    Great ! Tom S.

14. partsrivet

partsrivet

I don't have the original Kodachromes at the moment so can't answer with absolute certainty. The tag in my file says 4-1967. Could be a Div 4 points race or a fuel car meet - just don't remember. I do have more views of this particular race so maybe somebody can ID this stuff for us.

Chuck

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

I see.

After reading the site myself, it seems alot(vast majority) of the bad accidents involve hitting the guardrail/barriers and/or striking concrete/trees/objects at the end of the strip. Could better design help remedy this situation? We should probably start a new thread if we want to continue this discussion.

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Think Drag Racing is dangerous? Go to an air show.
    I'll let Reno 11' speak for itself. 70 injured plus 9 deaths.

This I can tell you from my own personal observations, spectators and people were the major victims of drag racing accidents prior to the institution of guard rails and barriers.
    I see final settlements beginning to appear in the media from the Selmer Tn. tragedy that occurred in 07'.
    See also: Yellow River Ga., Dallas Ga. & 43 jr.

Yes, since the sanctioning bodies are not going to maintain records, the site Drag Racing Deaths is a very important site.

I so enjoy the amateur candid photo's of drag racing that post here. It brings back such positive and pleasant memories for me as a way to recall it. Tom S. in Tn.

17. Falconred

Falconred

Yellow River was not a sight I will ever forget, I was right across the track from where the car went into the crowd. Rough to stand there and see something like that and nothing you can do.

18. Sometimes even guard rails aren't enough. Ask the guy who got his arm sawed off in the tower side stands at LIONS when Garlits clutch exploded in '72.

19. It was March 8, 1970 at Lions and it was the Transmission that exploded when the sprag failed and spun the drum up over 25,000 r.pm., not the clutch. The kid's arm was successfully reattached and he later worked for Big Daddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1a8ZQxq8EE

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here's the reunion of Larry Sutton, on the left, and Tim Ditt just a few years ago. Ditt was the 16 year-old who was injured in the Lions accident. Sutton, the Lions starter, is credited with saving Ditt's life, applying pressure to Ditt's artery until he got to the hospital. The same hospital that Garlits went to that day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  21. I had the year wrong. Still a tough way to get a job.

22. partsrivet

partsrivet

This is my first try at linking photos so I hope it works. This shot is of Don Prudhomme making a time trial run at the '67 Nationals. Hope you enjoy it. [​IMG]

23. partsrivet

partsrivet

Uh oh. Technical difficulties. Will try again later.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hang in there, we all went through the same thing at one time

[​IMG]

25. partsrivet

partsrivet

[​IMG]

Keep your fingers crossed!

A few seconds later-damn!

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

27. partsrivet

partsrivet

OK, been researching this and hope I have it now. Here goes.

[​IMG]

Well if you click on the small icon, and open as a seperate tab it works. Still not clear how others images seen here are downloaded. Any ideas appreciated. Hope you enjoy the view.

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have been slacking I will try to find some photos to post this weekend. Rev it up and burn some rubber guys.

29. partsrivet

partsrivet

Some early funny car action at Tulsa in 1966. [​IMG]

30. partsrivet

partsrivet

This view of Tom Hoover is no prize winner but I though somebody might be intersted. [​IMG]