Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 21 stud flatty, desirable? or?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazlobassett, May 22, 2012.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I've come across a fine running 21 stud flatty, believe it to be 1937. I think it can be had for $400 -500. I don't need it but I like flatties just don't know about the earlier ones. Is this a motor to avoid or a good one?

Thanks!

Matt
    Peoples Republic of New Jersey

2. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

21 Stud motors are not a bad thing for sure especially if it's runnin........... Nothing like purrrrin flatmotor throw on some smittys or porters and go cruise

3. I would buy it! Mine is a 21 stud 33 block. What do you think? I am in CT. Let me know if you do not want it:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. Yep !!

5. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

$400.00? What are you waiting for?

6. 510madmav

510madmav

If it has water pumps in the block and has 21 studs it's a 37. I wish there was more speed equipment made for these. I have a 35 and love the way it looks.

7. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a rebuilt one in 1958, .030" over, everything new. It went in my roadster for awhile, just to get it running. When I finished my 5/16" X 1/4, out came the sweet 21 stud.
    My bud blew up the 59 AB in his Model A Coupe, so in went the little 21 stud. Installed a 2-jugger, (94s) and went from San Jose to L.A. 5 or 6 times...would do 70 with ease, just purr. Never a problem.
    I sold the engine to finish another big flattie, later regretted it.

I have one I need to tear down, first I'm going to soak it in some diesel for a week. It's been outside 'forever'...

510MadMav:
    Right on about the scarcity of speed parts for these, Red's Headers still has bearings, and I think some regrind cams...but heads were being re-popped by a gent from Livermore, Sharp I think. Not cheap. ($800 or so)

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

You can also use the earlier heads and use water pump blockoff plates, if one desired to do so.

or mill the stock head.

10. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Guess I'll have to go have a look. Picked up a '30/1 roadster a little bit ago, it was a rod back in the day, wish it could talk.... might be an easy thing to set in there. It would be ugly but I am more comfortable in ugly... I'll go see whats what with it and let you all know with some pix. Thanks!

11. Jim

Jim

Ugly?

Attached Files:

12. It is a good engine. Put block off plates where the water pumps go and bolt on '32-'36 stuff to run in an earlier car. Has insert bearings. If you want to hop it up the speed equipment is scarce and expensive compared to the 24 studs.

Charlie Stephens

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Ugly!
    [​IMG]

Bored .020" over (for now), dual 94 carbs on an offy intake, shaved NOS aluminum heads! ~Love it!:D

14. rld14

rld14

Good running flathead for $4-500? Damn, you suck!

If you don't want it.. I'm in Jersey too :D

15. olie olssen

olie olssen
    from Seattle Wa

Got a fresh rebuilt one in my garage out of a 41. Bought one back in high school and put it in a 1951 Vickey. Paid 15.00 dollars for it and drove it to Mexico for a tuck in roll at 65 mph. It never missed a beat and ran as smooth as a old Singer. What a great motor. Buy it Olie Olssen

16. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

To clarify, my roadster is UGLY. Fits in here real well....

17. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Er, no, I don't suck either, sorry. used to date a go-go dancer, she would give bj's to my friends if I asked her to. Special girl there.

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

$400 , and it runs great ? And you didn't grab it in an instant ?????? Go get that critter ..........

4TTRUK

19. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

wel, the guy is asking 650 but I figgure cash talks, right? and he is taking a '35 pick up and rodding it, or something, seems to me like it allready had what a good rod needs.... anyway it's takng up space in his shop and has to go. I'll get over there in the next day or so and see whats what. Will post pix and maybe utube a video of it, if I can work that out.

Cheers!

20. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

21. I really doubt that you have a 21 stud flatty from a 41,,,
    go out and count your head bolts again.

22. zgears

zgears

23. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Wow, that's Cool!

24. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Here's a couple of pix of the Ugly Roadster. It has a old drop axle, split bones, and some old weird aluminium finned steering box. man if this thing could talk!

Attached Files:

25. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well, tomorrow is the day. I bought the motor, radiator and 4 artillery wheels with tires, gave 800. for the lot. Pics tomorrow. Thinkin it'll all go into the ugly roadster, which will be slightly less ugly when it hits the streets, I hope...

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

21stud, here on the Hamb, runs one in his '34 Coupe. I was following him in my '31 A running a 283, my was he flying.

27. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well, Its home. Got pix. Motor is complete, carby starter all set. Nice radiator, needs a new neck, the guy cut it off thinking he was gonna use it for something?

Came with 4 '36? steelies with tires and trim rings, see pix. I put the tires on my A with the trim rings, ran a fwe miles then it broke the crank. happy days turned to total crap, but that in another thing entirely. Might post pix & thread about that but... well... that is a tender thing for me right now.

Attached Files: