Register now to get rid of these ads!

To seal or not to seal? - New Bob Drake tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grf-x, May 18, 2012.

1. grf-x

grf-x

I gotta new bob drake tank for the 51 ford shoebox. My question is... do i need to seal or not. I couldn't find any definitive answer when I search here, shoboxford or google. Anyone have any exp with these tanks? I did call and talk to some one over at bob drakes. He said it would be easier to by ethanol free gas. Not sure where the hell i am gunna find ethanol free gas in the suburbs of detroit. If need to seal, what should i use that will take the abuse of ethanol. A lot of what I have read so far, states they have had problems with the sealers breaking down and gumming things up.

My other question, what is a good 5 or 6 screw/hole sending unit to use with my stock gauge?

2. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I can't speak on sealing. It seems funny to seal a new tank, but it could very well add years and years of life to the tank. As for the sending unit, I got mine at Mac's (99A-9275, $37.50). It is 6-bolt like the original. My new tank was setup for a 5-bolt. I just drilled the new pattern in the sending unit.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Sealer is great unless it starts to come off, then it's your worst nightmare. I would not seal it if it was mine

4. TV

TV

I think it all depends on how often you drive your car? If its a only drive every so often and sits a lot, then by all means coat it. It will prevent it from rusting.--TV

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Did you buy a stainless one, or regulation steel?

6. I would not seal it. New should not have leaks and will take many years for any real corrosion problems. But the new fuels with the alcohol and other junk could create a really big problem if it attacks the sealer.

7. Model T1

Model T1

The original was in there over 60 years. Most likely 50 before it rusted. If you don't plan on driving the car at least 50 years, don't worry about it!
    I see all these guys buying stainless tanks and lines then selling the car in a year .

As for fuel, buy Marine fuel if you are concerned about crappy corn fuel.

8. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

The only tank (motorcycle) I ever sealed ended up being a disaster several years later. Shouldn't have to seal a new tank. Don't do it.

9. grf-x

grf-x

Thanks for all the response. I plan on it being a daily driver (until they start laying down massive amounts of salt), so i can park my off topic safe ride (2004 volvo S80). It is a regular steel tank. I wish it was stainless :)

I plan on painting the tank (guz I am off my rocker and like to hide creative work where people least expect to find it).

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Seal a new tank ? I never would.......... That's why we buy 'em new in the first place,....or so I thought......

4TTRUK

11. Sealing a new gas tank is asking for trouble. HRP

12. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If it's a true reproduction of the stock tank it should be mfd from "Terne Plate"; a lead coated steel which resists rust and is non-reactive. All O.E.M tanks were made of it. You can tell by scraping it with a knife-the coating will turn shiny. The original tanks resisted rust for decades.

13. grf-x

grf-x

Dale, I have yet to see a tank that fits the description you gave. Not even from Tanks inc. But you did describe my filler tube. But, i do regret to say the bottom portion of that filler tube (the port that fits into the rubber hose that connects it to the tank) is rusted. Rusted even in side of the large tube and the small diameter tub ins tide that one. How the hell am I going to get that rust out of all that? Better yet, how the hell am I gonna find a replacement. I have yet to see one repopped. Thanks all for the replies. Definitely help be decide.

14. grf-x

grf-x

Thanks 40FordGuy. I only asked because I fairly new to car maintenance. I didn't grow up learning this. I grew up a nerd. So I am still learning. :)

15. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I wouldn't seal it. If you park it for any length of time add some stabil and fill the tank.

16. leave it alone.It should be made with a zinc coated steel.