Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar torque converter questions.going from 318 to 360

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, May 12, 2012.

1. Not a dodge guy so help! Car had a 318 and im putting in a 360 was told to use the 360 converter but the torque converter hun is way bigger as well as the ring gear on it.the one in the car is smaller.

I take it the smaller is a 904..okay so both converters have tiney little weights...so cant i just use the 318 converter since the 360 wont fit the trans and it doesnt look like its weighted any different

2. p15-1948

p15-1948

The guys at Gearstar transmission indicated you had to use a 360 convertor with a 360 when I inquired about rebuilding my 727A.

For whatever that's worth.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The 318 is internally balanced where the 360 is externally balanced. The torque converters are matched to the engine balance. It sounds as though you have a 904 trans, and the correct converter is for a 727. They did put the 904 behing the 360, so there should be a converter out there that will work. Also, Mopar performance used to offer a weight kit wht placement templates to convert the 318 converter over to 360 balance specs, but it always seemed risky to me.

4. Louvers! Yeah i wondered how to do the balancing myself.so options are,change the trans and shorten driveline,new converter or weight the 318 one..

And i need louvers on my A hood

5. squirrel

squirrel

The 360 converter should have a big weight on it. 727 has a bigger hub than a 904.

Also they started using lockup converters on some Mopar transmissions starting around 1977, you need to make sure what you have....

6. Theres no big weights on either converter.

And yes the one from the 360 has a bigger hub.i think we are going to try and get a 360 converter for 904. I notice a small electrical plug on the 727 and the 904 has a sensor or something in the same spot.the 904 worked so ill try to use that

7. squirrel

squirrel

If there isn't a big weight, it's not for a 360? This is what they look like

[​IMG]

8. TheShop

TheShop
    from Lodi Ca

9. No theres no weight like that but it DID come frome the 360 i take it that summit part bolts to the crank and you cut off the one on the converter

10. George

George

I'd call B&M and ask them what you need.....

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Geezzzz man....you don't start cutting on things till you KNOW exactly what you're doing!:eek:
    At least put up a few pics of the parts in question here so the experts can give you some advice!

12. dlmann

dlmann
    from az

like was said by [need louvers] the 360 is externaly balanced--you can find the correct converter with wieghts on -or add wieghts to your 318 converter[easy with welder] or use a later magnum style flex plate with the wieghts on it----mopar performance used to make a wieght kit---i will try to find the part # and see if it still available--dave

13. dlmann

dlmann
    from az

wieghts available on ebay #220949036109--dave

14. dartracer

dartracer

The B&M flex plate lets you use the converter from the 318 behind the 360. This will also give a little more stall in the converter.

15. Dartracer,yhats what im thinkin but im sure id have to cut off the ring gear on the 318 converter to use a new one.

Dlmann,ill look into that.

Hackerbuilt....uh kinda figured out what the parts are.we all understand im putting a 360 that was from a 727 and going to a904 from a 318. Just confused about the ring gear being one peace with the converter so the speacial ring gear would be used with the stock one without cutting it off.prett y sure you dont use both!!

16. squirrel

squirrel

The flexplate from Summit does not have a ring gear. The picture is confusing, because they show a couple different flexplates in one picture, the one with a ring gear is for a GM

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

When you completely understand your situation you don't use those phrases...

...and this would be why.

Seriously man...don't cut ANYTHING until you're totally on top of the parts requirements/fitment issues.
    I'm just saying this to save YOU a lot of trouble...so no need to belittle my post!!! :confused:

18. Hackerbuilt,thats kinda the reason for the hamb and my thread.

Squirrel,thats exactly what i needed to know.thank you.im building this for my uncle and am new to mopar,only worked on gm and ford.now i know what we need to order

19. And hacker i didnt belittle your post.were all just hotrodders here.but i didnt say i was going to do it,was just asking if thats what you do since the sunmit pic is confusing

20. HRSPWR

HRSPWR
    from Olympia WA

I've done that swap before, the B&M 10239 flexplate is the one you need. You can use the 318 convertor too. I had to buy an adapter for the smaller snout on my convertor to fit the 360 from Wildcat Auto Wrecking in Sandy Oregon to fix that. Make sure to use the harmonic balancer from the 360 too. The motor mount castings on the 360 are different too. The 318 mounts can be modified to work. PM me if you need pictures.

21. 1930 A

1930 A

Some early 360 convertors came with two small weights, one either side of the drain plug. Later ones came with the one large weight but no drain plug.