Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 camaro trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckboz, May 11, 2012.

1. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Has anyone used a T-5 out of an mid 80's Z-28 behind a flathead? Is there something different with the mount? Searching on my iPhone is pain in the ass. This is for a model a on a 32 ford chassis. Thanks guys for any info.

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Can't help ya on the particulars but my friend Hank's hiboy has a T5 behind his blown flattie.

[​IMG]

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

the big difference is the tail shaft housing and shifter location.

for starters, the s-10 t-5 from '83-'86 is the one to have behind a flathead.

the camaro came with a 305 and a v-6. the v-8 trans has a 1 1/8"-26 spline input shaft. the v-6 was smaller and less splines. both were tilted 18* to the drivers side on the bell housing, which makes for a strange trans mount when mounted straight up on and adapter.

also, the shifter on a camaro trans would be under the front of the seat in a '32, because the shifter is so far back on the tail shaft housing.

other than this, it is a great transmission.

hope all this helps.

-danny

4. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Danny, you're the man! Thanks, what I was looking for.

5. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

glad i could help.

-danny

6. harley rider

harley rider

what do you mean it is tilted 18* .what is tilted?

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Instead of the tranny flange bolt pattern being square with earth, they rotated it to get the shifter where they wanted it.

8. I'm no expert.... don't play one on TV either!

But didn't these trannys have shitty gear issues???

I use to own an '87 Pontiac Formula Firebird back then and remember that it shifted like crap if you horsed it the slightest.

9. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I drive one every day in my OT S10,I can't even dream of trying to bang a gear with it.I'm not sure how much better they were when new.

10. bigdav160

bigdav160

I stole this picture from another forum. A saginaw, Camaro T5 and a S10 T-5

Attached Files:

11. bobscogin

bobscogin

I've got a V8 Camaro T5 behind my flathead. Once you convert to the S10 tailshaft housing, the Camaro's angled mount issue goes away.

Bob

12. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

Not a 32 Flatty but some trans info..........The boxes mount like any other, just switch out the tailshaft for a T-10 and your good to go !!

Here' a pic of my Camaro box with an S-10 tailshaft to position the stick ahead of the bench seat..........

[​IMG]

and the old 3 spd it replaced..........bolted right up to the stock 55 Bell

[​IMG]

Installed, Not a real strong box but shifts fine with the Pro-5 shifter and has much better ratios than an S-10 box............. It's behind a mild small block and has held up well so far although I don't beat on it much. Makes for a very nice cruiser with the O.D. though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  13. harley rider

harley rider

ok rotated is diferent than tilted.that makes since now.

14. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

They ROTATED the trans to effectively TILT the shifter toward the driver. DD

15. I'm having a much hard time finding the 80s camaro V8 T5s. The S10s are a dime a dozen and the newer camaro ones aren't hard to find. Everyone tells me that the V8 camaro was rare! But that's what I'm looking for to put behind my 235 I6.

16. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

And here's the t5 hybrid that I plan running in my coupe. It is a V8 Camaro/Firebird gearbox with an S10 tailshaft/housing/top and shift rails and a mechanical speedo connection. The gear ratio's in this box are: 2.95:1,1.99:1,1.34:1,1.00:1, and an 0.68:1 fifth. I plan on running a 4.11 diffy and turning about 2000 rpm at 70 mph on the freeway.

Attached Files:

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The T 5 camaro have all been bought up by big repair shops, and rodders. There are specific S10's that are the same. Look for a World Class which is the second gen and was picked up by tremec, and are still the same. An S10 WC stock from a V6 will work fine behind an I6 . Infact the S10 NWO are way better then the top loader4 speeds behind the early GT mustangs, and camaro's...

There is a small number of years that are WC and mechanical speedo, I think 1987 and 88 or there abouts, however most have electric speedos with the change to the OBDII onboard computer systems. ( The whole speed sensor era)

Its the Non- World Class ones that werent as strong

http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  18. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I can't find any s-10 trans around here. Would like to find just a tail housing for this t-5 I have. Seems this V-8 T-5 I have will work, once the S-10 tail housing is on.

19. I like the camaro T5 for the .63 overdrive and the closer ratios.

20. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

chopt top kid, could please tell us what Vendor/Price for that Trans. ?

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It depends...it's probably the easiest to install, but has poor ratios and is the weakest of the bunch...so, it depends. ;)

A simple wedge shim fixes it easily. It's not complex at all.

And this is why you swap out the tailhousing & top cover for an S10 one. It also fixes the mount 'issue'

It depends. There are so many different ratios for T5 it's hard to keep track of them all. Most parts are interchangeable between families (WC & NWC), so there are plenty of options for ratios if you need something specific.

Your trans was dying. It likely had excessive end play and a sloppy stock shifter. These trannys shift like a swiss watch when built right and with a decent shifter.

Uhhh...not even close. The T&C Toploaders are arguably the strongest passenger car transmissions ever installed by OEMs. They were the standard transmission in NASCAR until the Jericho (derived from the Toploader).

The WC from an S10 will have a Ford pattern case and be difficult to adapt w/o rare bellhousing from AMC Eagle or Astrovan.

Not for S10. There were no WC and mechanical speedo combos in the S10. WC was only 94-95 (late 93?) and definitely electronic speedo after '90/91 (some as early as '89)

Thanks for the link - should jive with what I've posted.

The Camaro T5 is a great tranny and under-utilized because it usually needs the S10 tailhousing conversion for most hot rod applications...

22. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Anyone out there with the right s-10 parts to convert this t-5 I have? Hit me up with a pm.

23. fonti

fonti

I bought my T5 with the "right" shifter position AND camaro gears right hear:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/
    not the cheapest way to do it but what other possibilities do you have living in the hot rod desert called Switzerland???

24. Truckedup

Truckedup

I had one from a 87 Camaro V-8 ,all was fine when bolted to an old Chevy truck bellhousing, no wedge adapter..Was this a tilted tranny? Putting on the S10 rear extension was easy for anyone with hobbyist tranny experience.
    I noticed there were two fill bungs,the lower one being used. I figured this was because the tranny was tilted.So I drilled and tapped the upper hole for use with the tranny straight up.If it wasn't a tilt tranny ,it's gone 70,000 miles being overfilled :D

25. I pay $95.00 plus $40.00 core for both Camaro and S10 T5s at my local pick n pull, if anyone needs a price comparison.

26. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I've got 7.50X16 bias ply's for the rear of my coupe so it should be pretty close...

27. designs that work

designs that work

I have what I believe to be a 83 Camaro/ Firebird behind my stock flathead. Either I misread or have dementia. Only the tail housing is tilted the 18 degrees, not the whole trans. Just made the mount to fit the trans and notched the seat for the shifter.

28. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just to clarify - Camaro/Firebird T5 are NOT titlted if installed on any bellhousing OTHER than original Camaro/Firebird bellhousing. The rear trans mount (where the pad goes) is angled based on this mounting scheme (twisted bellhousing). You can fabricate a very simple wedge to mount between a Camaro/Firebird tailhousing mount and a crossmember...

29. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

What Ernie said.
    I am running a 1983 T-5 from a 305 z-28 Camero. My 292 has been warmed over so it has goobs of torque.(close to 300lbs). I have buckets in my coupe so the tailshaft was ok. I fab'd a custom tranny mount to mount the trans. utilizing the stock isolator. No problem. As long as you are not drag racing, the tranny will hold up just fine. Iinstalled a B&M billet shifter that made it a real short throw straight line shift pattern. It has a .072 5th gear so that keeps the rpms way down especially with the 30" rear tall tires.

30. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Use a Wilcap adapter, the same one used to adapt a Muncie...