Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead intake adaptors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost of ElMirage, May 10, 2012.

1. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Did Offy or anyone else back in the day make 1 to 2 carb flathead intake adapters for stock intakes or am I imagining things again?

Ghost:confused:

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

yep they did, Im not sure of which brands though.. they were early in the piece, fourties, maybe even late thirties. The edelbrock "slingshot" was a development of these 2 to 1s ,I would guess.
    Vern Tardel makes one these days, there may be others.

3. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

would like to have a Offy or sumpin similar I am gonna reseach Thanx

4. Vintage Speed makes one based on the old Almquist one from the 50s.

5. I think "Speed Gem" did too.

6. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Speedgem was from the Fifties I take it ?

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My old Almquist dual carb adapter. There is even a very rare Almquist dual carb adapter that has the name misspelled on the side.

8. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Tommy great pix thanx! How much would I expect to pay for one of these or should I just get a vintage speed?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I hate to say I bought mine years ago and I've sold it since. The price seems to keep escalating. I don't have any flathead stuff anymore. Ive got some cool Studebaker and FE Ford stuff though.:D

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huh , didnt know that one we just thought the spelling of ALMQIUST on or 32 was weird but somehow correct. So it is supposed to be spelt corrrectly as in ALMQUIST.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I had a Speed Gems Y adapter hanging on the wall that I bought years earlier for $3. I kept it as a curiosity, since they don't really provide any performance gain. Then I saw the fuss guys were making over the things on Ebay about eight years ago.

I listed it, and it ended up being bought by Charlie Price of Vintage Speed for over $300. Nice profit I thought. Short time later he starts selling his own version based on the one I sold him.

12. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

i don't really care too much about the performance gain I just think they look kinda old school cool

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  13. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

this kind of thing allways makes me think of the old.....if it don't go, chrome it. if your gonna do it, do it for real.....just my feeling

14. Eh, I doubt they were probably ever that "cool" back in the day. More like "I can't afford a correct intake, but want to have dual carbs so I look cool" thing.

I think the only time they'd be justified would be when using a McCulloch supercharger as shown.

15. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

That's probably very true CHICKENRIDGERODS. A buddy of mine who is really great wreck BTW told me that most of the magazine photos were really a bunch of shit and really NOT the norm. A regular working stiff (at least here in the north east) would mill his heads, bolt on a 97 and maybe dual exhaust. Cuz money was as tight then as it is now.

16. Elrod

Elrod

Here is an old Dixie Western. These were advertised in magazines in 1948.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  17. titus

titus

heres mine, an Ansen mani-adaptor!

jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  18. titus

titus

Also got this one.

Attached Files:

19. Would you care to part with one sir?