Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint/Compressor advice needed please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasolinescream, May 8, 2012.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hi folks

Question for the painters, especially the home painters if thats okay.

To add to my pinstripe brushes i've just bought an airbrush and deciding on a mini gun to mess about with on old helmets etc etc. Hoping one day to tackle small panel jobs, lace roofs, flames etc. I've got a new 5ltr twin piston compressor which is just about okay for the sort of stuff i'd like to do paint wise, so far. It more than powers the 0.4 airbrush running a 50ml cup for bigger airbrush jobs and if not over used, will push a mini-gun on very small base paint work. It does obviously limit me with the amount of coverage i can get and what i can spray though. It pretty much means i'm having to still use rattle cans for a base or clear which seems some what of a backward step in my learning. I've messed about like many have with rattle cans, flake sprays etc and taping out work, lacing etc but want to move on to using an airbrush/mini gun and learning more about paint systems. Blame the Candy, Lace , Flake and Flame thread!!!!!

Now all is well and good as i can move on from rattle cans for base colours and use the mini gun for most paints but still the question of clear. I've been told i'll need a 1.8 size gun for the clear and a hell of a lot more air. The paint system i'm using is Auto Air Colours which is waterbased and again i'm told most 2K clears will be okay though a little trial an error may happen. My old 100ltr compressor is need of replacement so it's this where i need some help. I'm new to all this so please excuse my lack of knowledge or terminology.

Hopefully with a new compressor, the mini gun should be okay for pushing the paint over slighly larger areas and enable me to lay down base coats. I want to use a mini -gun for paint as it will suit what i have in mind and have another suitable 1.8 gun for the clear and other things.

My question is this. Will a 200ltr compressor be okay for a 1.8 gun to shoot clear on small areas? I'm not looking to clear a whole car, just be able to finish off small jobs Up to roof size work.

The price difference between a 300 ltr and 200 ltr is massive and i think apart from the size (only have a small garage) a 300ltr seems overkill for what i'm planning or likely to do. As i'd be doing short passes and not alot of them, would 200ltr give me that constant pressure i'd need?

Funny thing is that all this was going to be a cheap hobby whilst i'm looking for a job and supposed to be saving money for a new car. Ha bloody ha, the compressor and guns will be the best part of £8-900 and that doesn't include the £800 i've just spent on the inital set up of all my airbrush stuff. Mind you if i had done this years ago i would have saved a fortune in rattle cans. The only way i can justify this is that i made a killing on the sale of my car and trailer camper (caravan). Oh well, it's only money:rolleyes:

Sorry long post but it's nice to chat:D

Any advice gladly received.

Dan:cool:

2. lowelife

lowelife

If you translated that in to gallons and cfm output of the compressors you are looking at it would be helpful.

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

1.8 gun is probably excessive for base or clear. 1.8-2.0 is a good size for normal 2k primer. I use a 1.4 sata on everything. Better atomazation than a mini and keeps a wet edge when making passes, eliminating dry spots or splotchy marks. Minis are grear for little areas or graphics, but use the big gun when ever possible to keep things even. It all really depends on the job. But again, a mini is only really good for small panels. If you try and shoot candy out of it on a roof or something large, it will be modely, stripped, and inconsistant. My $.02

4. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Sorry the compressor i had in mind was 18cfm and 45 gallon.

5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that's 18 cfm at 90 psi you can sandblast with it. 10 to 12 cfm at 90 psi will run your air tools and any spray guns, especially HVLP. My hvlp guns are 1.2 and 1.4 for finish.
    1.4 is what you should be looking for and follow yeticustoms advice.

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

What Sata are you using if you dont mind me asking and what size cups are available with it. Are you saying that a 1.4 would happily do both my water based paints and be okay with clear?

Edit. I've checked the paint data sheets and it says a 1.2 nozzle for a paint gun at 40psi

Thanks;)

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. lowelife

lowelife

I have never used a water based paint ( so far ) but the 1.4 is what I use for my base and clear.