Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Suggestions for my '62 Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrFalcon62, May 7, 2012.

1. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I am a B-1 Crew Chief in the US Air Force. Since January, I have been deployed to the Middle East. I return back home in about 3 more months, and I have saved up a bunch of money (since there is nothing over here to blow money on).

I would like to make some changes on my bird. I was wondering if any Hambers could give me some ideas on what they would recommend for me to do to my car

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No changes just drive the crap out of it! Welcome home and thanks for YOUR service.

3. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

In my opinion it seems a neat bit of kit already!

Are the brakes up to scratch? Is the driveline dependable? Would you be prepared to jump in and drive?

If yes I recommend taking a week holiday and drive it! Across the country! That is seriously the best thing you could spend money on car wise.

As far as changes

Have you got a set of poverty caps and a set Lancer covers to allow you to change the car's style slightly when the mood strikes?

4. I wouldn't change it much it's a sweet lookin bird. Look like you nailed it!
    Maybe an inch lower in the rear. Reverse chrome wheels would look good for a different look.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

How 'bout a five speed for flying down the freeway? Disc brakes work in todays world too.

6. Get it mechanically squared away.
    Then gas up and take a road trip.
    Just got back from driving Route 66 out west, and thats highly recommended.
    I don't think I have done anything in a hot rod more satisfying.
    [​IMG]

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Cool bird.

I like the idea of an inch lower in back (Falcons have a natural rake and I prefer them flat); also I'd be looking to scrounge some 14-inch wheels and do the disc-brake thing.

Overdrive is also a good idea. After that's done, roadtrip sounds like a great idea.

8. Looks to me like it may already have disc brakes, as it has been converted to 5 stud, and the rims are bigger than the standard 13 inch ones.

9. derbydad276

derbydad276

keep that one as a driver save your money

buy a house!

10. soulsponjah

soulsponjah

Nice bird! Looks good to me. I love that 3x1 setup. As most already mentioned get the suspension built up but it looks like that may be already done. Get in, filler up, and enjoy your cruise!

11. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Cool car. For me as long as it's running right etc i'd go for some very subtle pinstriping and maybe a ghost lace or something on the roof.

Keep safe!

:cool:

12. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

+1 The roof would look good laced and heavy flaked...

Thanks for your service!!!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  13. first, thank you sir!
    second, my suggestion to your already killer looking Falcon is a front bumper swap. Not many people think do it, but I think it's something they need desperately as opposed to the stock "4x4" Ford hung on it.

I adapted a Mercury Comet "wrap around" bumper on mine. Although most don't even notice it, they just know it looks better even though they don't know why. Give it a shot, it will dramatically change up the look.

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It really looks great the way it is now but the only thing I would change from the pictures you posted would be the baby blue wheels . I would paint them a different color and put the stock dog dish caps it came with back on or go with a full size hubcap maybe . There are also some very nice wheels you can get for the bird too but I think the hubcaps it came with would really look great !
    I would say if the interior needs any work I would do that .

Now when you get back , go and fill her up with fuel and drive it till the tank is almost dry , then refill it up again and drive some more ! You earned yourself a good long vacation from all that damn hard work you have been doing for years to keep all of us back home safe and free to do what we love to do !
    Thanks for everything you did and still do to keep us all back home safe ! If it wasn't for Men like you , we wouldn't be enjoying what we love to do ! Thanks again for keeping us free and our families safe !

Retro Jim

15. WisconsinMicko

WisconsinMicko
    from Wisconsin

WisconsinMicko says, I'm an ole Falcon guy. Suggestions: Granada disc brakes, torque tubes tied together, V-8 & 8 inch, maybe Geo master cylinder-but it IS pretty nice the way it is.

Attached Files:

16. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Thanks, i think i will lower the rear!
    I already put disk brakes on the front and upgraded to a 5 speed and I put 15's on it with the 2 inch whitewalls.

17. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I have kicked that idea around in my head, too. Do you have any pics of your bumper conversion?

18. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I mean nothing bad but it is a fordor and anything else you do wil not benefit you in the return value of her. I love it the way it is it has all the features to make it a good cruiser the paint is gorgeous, the interior is nice! Hell it is 5 lug disc brakes and a 5 speed WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO? I like the rake the way it is and the wheels to me it is done!!! I would start looking for a new project if it was me...

19. No_Respect, Always build a car for yourself, not for "return value".

20. MrFalcon62, You can see my bumper on my profile pics or just google "LaGrasta Falcon" here on the HAMB or even in Google. It's the only lime green one to come up, lol.

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Remove the door handles, locks, and emblems. Black out the rear side window vertical trim.
    Hidden antenna, and Chrome reverse rims.

Thank you for your service to our great country. Stay safe.

22. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

23. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Hahahahahahaha!

Something about a 4 door gasser leaves a weird taste in my mouth

24. PinHead

PinHead

I would probably try and get the back end down a little more til it's low and level, seems just a tad high. Otherwise I think she looks great as-is.

25. ROADKILLER

ROADKILLER
    from IL

Dude this thing is pretty tuff! Alittle lower and drive the wheels off it!

26. First off, thank you for your service!
    On the car, it looks great as it is. I would maybe get some chrome reveresed, shave the handles, lower it a bit, and drive the wheels off.

27. Drive the living daylights out of it. Thanks for your service.

28. as for lowering the back end, this is how I did it.
    from my stock, but brand new 5 leaf spring set, I removed one leaf, second smallest, added a 3" block and installed a set of air shocks with an onboard compressed (AirLift™). So depending on how much gas and anyone in the back seat, I can adjust ride height, and it was cheap to do so. If I lowered mine any more, I'd have to rebuild the floor tunnel.

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Your "saved money" will be put to good use in the gas tank of your Falcon...most of us around 'home' have to save for months to be able to afford the price of gas the oil companies have jacked up...

Nice looking Falcon (and I'm not a Ford guy...!!!)...I wouldn't change a thing except running a lot of gas thru those trip carbs...take a trip around the US and see what you defended...and thank you for that...enjoy the freedom you worked for.

R-

30. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I agree to this but why put more money in this car.... Its perfect. I would love to have her for myself. Only thing I would do is have an extra set of wheels o trade on and off to give the car different looks. Changing to just change should not be done.. Start a T project..