Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

This might just be a picture from Scappose when Norm Cahil owned it and ran a flathead.
    Mike

2. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

About 1991 or 2 Albert had sent a picture to Ganahl at the then new Rod and Custom of the car when he owned it and Pat kinda poo pooed him so I called him and made a date to show him the car. At that time it had belonged to a drag racer named Ted Gore and was garaged near Tacoma. Albert came up and we did a photo shoot of the car. He couldn't believe that it was all there as some one had told him that they had the front wheels and someone else said they had the windshield. There was nothing missing in this photo. Ted went on a few years later and restored the car and it recently sold and is kept in a very nice shop/garage in Vancouver, WA with a lot of nice company
    Mike

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Albert Drake with the Orange Crate.

Stogy and Kan Kustom like this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great pictures Tuff Tin!

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

This was definitely taken at Scappose in either 1955 or 1956 by my grandfather. I have about 200+ like this from the same period between '51 and '57....several of which I have posted here.

The incarnation of the "Crate" seen here is running a mighty flathead and is most likely under Cahil's ownership. Norm is most likely seen behind the wheel here as well.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

These shots are of Albany racer Bob Duedall, the 34 coupe was purple and was featured in Hot Rod around 62. The Competition Coupe followed. Another Great Oregon Racer and also from the Albany area, Jim Lindsay has found the Comp coupe body and has it nearly restored. Jim had master fabricator and a hell of racer himself Ron Austin from Medford, faithfully reproduced a Chassis Research K88 chassis as the original car used. A great piece of Oregon racing history will be finished this summer.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  6. MarkVI

MarkVI
    from Oregon

Great pics of the Orange Crate, my model is in the Attic :D.
    Anybody remember a Racer named, Robby Robinson B/Stock 62 409,
    or remember a 32 Ford 3 window called Instant Henry, BIg Flathead.

Mark

coast40 likes this.
  7. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Gary Dinwiddie and I at Graham, WA Fall Ford Fest in the late '90's. This "T" is how I met Marty Strode at the California Hot Rod Reunion. Oh...............I'm the hair challenged guy on the right side.
    Mike
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Stogy likes this.
  8. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

9. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Albert Drake with his camera out. 1992 before it was restored.
    Mike

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

10. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Here you can see how bad the chrome had become...................
    Mike

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

11. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

All the "art work" was to be traced for restoration.
    Mike

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I remember Robby's blue "Hokies Pizza" 62 Impala well, and how about the 57 Bel Air that followed, it had quite a racing career from California's Cal Price to Don Larson and then to Robby. It was a D/S 283" Fueler, and the engine was by Jack Bayer.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I remember spotting that shirt at B-field, I wonder if the new owners are going to offer shirts for sale ? Thanks for the photos, they show how bad the chrome was. I took pictures of the Crate at SIR in 1987, Pat Ganahl used them in TRJ in 1999 in a short article about the car.

14. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

The new owner is on here so he may answer his own question. Great way to make a little money I'm thinkin'. I would but another. Even had art work on the back.............
    Mike

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In all of this talk about the Orange Crate, I thought you might want to see the builder of it, in his own car. This is Keith Randol on the dirt at "Sunset Speedway" in Banks. He had to be in his late 70's, the 27 roadster was powered by a Taurus SHO engine, it was a little rocket, the yellow Track 'T' in the background belonged to Lonnie Gilbertson, it had the great Len Sutton at the wheel. As I type this I am waiting for Lonnie to show up to work on his new project, a 55 Chev 210 Gasser, it will be a "real Gasser" with the exception that it will run alcohol. For now it will be "race only", with Hilborn Injection and the only fuel tank will be a "Moon" on the front. For those of you who know Lonnie, be assured, it will be a "knockout".

Attached Files:

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Everything I've ever seen with Lonnie Gilbertson's name on it was a super high end ride. I'd guess the '55 wont have any corners cut either.

17. couverkid

couverkid

Hey there mike,it was never restored just so you know. Just a few items rechromed and everything polished up and the paint touched up with nail polish and buffed out.

18. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Oooops! Sorry but they did a wonderful clean up on it.
    Mike

19. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

You posted a blue coupe of his a bit earlier but I had never heard of him before as Tindal gets all the credit. Just the opposite of Barris as those cars became Barris Customs and seldom heard of the owners names.

I hope you show the build up of Lonnie's new Gasser and I know if Lonnie and you are involved that it will be super!
    Mike

20. the guy that got me into f-100s was in the pushtrucks also,Dell Packard his son was one of my best friends until his recent passing....somewhere Ive got pics of the highwallers,and some from the track in portland too............

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This B/D was the property of Vic McCrosky, from Gresham. He ran Vic's Motors, it was an auto repair shop, he raced C and B Dragsters all through the 60's. He set the National record in 'C' in about 62. These shots were taken at Madras in 68. At McMinnville in 65 or 66, they had a birthday party for him in front of the timing tower, they announced he was 68 years young. One of his drivers was Ronnie Hawes. Note the trusty International push truck.

Attached Files:

22. couverkid

couverkid

Look at the www tires on the 66 chevelle ss. Makes me laugh.

23. Wow! Thanks Marty, I remember McCrosky's dragster very well, a hard runner!

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A couple more 55's, Cal Elkins "Big Iron" C/MP out of Salem, black and white photo doesn't do it justice, it was a beautiful blue and ran hard. The other was a Washington, or Canadian car that was a good runner as well!

Attached Files:

25. oldpartsman1

oldpartsman1

Anyone have any photos of Bob Beal's Hemi powered "Northstar" FED that raced at Woodburn in the 60's and 70's?

26. 65lkey

65lkey
    from Cheney, Wa

Tried searching

does anyone have any pics of wayne harry racing his willys pickup?

27. I'm loving this thread! But....MORE PICTURES!!

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Two Modified Hardtops from Portland Speedway in 1956, and Len Sutton and Louie Sherman pose with Midgets in Sept. of 1950, Len drove for Wes Beck and Louie drove for Clarence "Smitty" Smith out of Vancouver, both cars were Offy powered! BTW ,that is Louie with the pipe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  29. Bob McCabe

Bob McCabe

Marty, I am asking you or anyone else if they know how to contact Ron Salisbury. I would like to know what happened to the Rumbler dragster he ran. Thanks, Bob McCabe

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, I will see if I can locate Ron Salisbury for you.