Register now to get rid of these ads!

use a freaking neutral safety switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rust runner, May 4, 2012.

1. just got back from a buddies house where he was wiring another guys 30 pontiac coupe. when i drove into the driveway, half the garage door was laying in the driveway. it seems he put the coulmn up towards park and assumed it was in park. he hit the key, engine roared to life and went back and smashed door. he must of panicked, because he pulled the shifter down and it lurch forward into some of his equiptment. he finally got the key shut off. luckily, he wasn't hurt. i said " didn't wire in a safety switch did you?" didn't have one was his reply. and believe it or not this isn't his first time without wiring in a switch. you would think he would have learned from the first time. USE A SAFTY NEUTRAL SWITCH, IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE

2. squirrel

squirrel

I have a neutral switch, and I still put my foot on the brake before I start the engine....

3. Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 117harv

117harv

Or just put your foot on the brake pedal when starting.

5. this guy was laying on the floor from the pass. side.

6. Same here.

7. Andy

Andy

A couple of years ago at the RoundUp my car got hit head on from across the street by a guy showing off and no safety switch. People could easily have been killed. The crowd was thick at the time.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ma Ma always said stupid is is stupid does!!!!!

9. davidh73750

davidh73750

I remember being there not close but yes it was very scary.

10. wayne-o

wayne-o

"Or just put your foot on the brake pedal when starting" Does not do much good when you reach inside the car to start it in the case of Andy's accident above. I have seen at least a half dozen cars damaged because the neutral safety was not hooked up, some pretty bad. Anyone running with out one is living on borrowed time.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This thread will not last long. The last one was closed when it degraded into a big arguement.

The believers in neutral safety switches and the nay sayers got nasty with each other.

A stupider thread I had never seen before. The nay sayers were not too bright. :D

12. squirrel

squirrel

I guess if you never reach into a car to start it, you don't need a neutral switch...but doing two things wrong is asking for trouble.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Always use one ... always will :)

14. Saw a guy starting one of those new all steel repro. '57 Belairs @ Paint & Pistons & almost backed into the show car behind him. Same deal. Amazing what a learning effect it had on me.
    Chuck

15. On a positive note, this illustrates how a well-tuned engine with good compression starts easily, just bump the starter and it roars to life:), you don't have to sit there and grind on the starter.

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

17. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

pictures of said 1930 pontiac coupe please.... I have two of them, never seen another.

18. Most all stick cars before 1969 had no neutral safety switch so you call this guy an idiot for not having one in an auto? Just get use to putting on your brake when starting a car, whether it has one or not. I have two that are autos and don't have any and I like it as I have had them stall while cruising and you can restart on the go. It's only a safety issue when you do something without thinking. There are so many other causes of accidents from not thinking other than a neutral safety switch.

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A legal requirement here, as easy as that.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep... A lesson learned in Drivers Training...

even if the car is properly equipped..I dont trust any thing but my foot on the brake

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep, I don't have any in my cars, however they're all stick shifts. Haven't killed anyone or hurt myself yet!

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in my days of twisting wrenches I learned to start vehicles with my foot on the brake neutral switch or no. Anyone who works on or has worked on a number of cars and trucks every day tends to not trust if neutral switches are hooked up or if the vehicle is actually in park or neutral.

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Exactly the event I thought of when I read this. I dont run auto's in my car but if I ever do they Will have a switch for sure. That was very sketchy and could have very easily gotten worse.

24. I find it fascinating that anyone would even consider building a car without one.

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

Another solution is to have three pedals... It becomes a habit to use the clutch and check for neutral... Pretty soon driving a hotrod will be illegal because of safety rules

There can never be enough safety equipment to overcome carelessness.

26. 117harv

117harv

I would build one without, have had 30 + cars without them, never had a problem. Sit in the car with the brake on when you start it like you should. Saying it's dangerous without one is like saying extra horespower is too. I guess it depends on who is operating/owns the ride.

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Have had cars with them and with out them. When I build for other people I always put one in. Now days my projects get them when I change out the wiring. Better safe than sorry.

28. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Law here on automatics no choice but wouldn't build without one anyway.

29. bobscogin

bobscogin

You don't really think that a car with an automatic and a car with a manual transmission react the same to bumping the starter when in gear, do you?

Bob

30. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

im a naysayer and Im putting one in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its too damn simple just to put one in..............