Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 chevrolet car hubs on a 1952 1/2 ton axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I know I've seen this somewhere, but I had no luck with my search! What do I need to do (if anything) when putting 1954 Chevrolet car front brakes and hubs on my 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 axle? What I mean is is it a clean swap or do I need a spacer or something?

klaus

2. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I picked up a 54 chevy a while back and it had 6 lug half ton drums on the front. I was like wtf???? Why? But i see where your going. Sorry i dont have an answer, but if the bearings are the same and drum size is the same it could be possible. But that would be just too easy lol

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

54 car- 1/2 ton truck drums to clarify

4. You mean your car ad truck hubs and drums?

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Yeah. Truck drums on the front. It was a parts car, but i was going to rob the wheels off of it and saw they were truck drums. I just thought why the hell????? But it would be cool to go to a more common 5 lug on the truck stuff cheaply if you have the parts. Im sure you know they make the conversions by now, and disk, but...if ya got them, use them. Sorry im no help

6. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I think I was talking to this guy about it and he said it could be done.

Try this http://www.droppedaxles.com/PHOTO_ALBUM.html

7. Thanks a lot Tex! That is exactly what I was looking for.

luckylou likes this.
  8. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

You will need the backing plates and brakes from the car as well. Also you will have to re drill the backing plates if I remember right because one of the steering arm holes is in a different spot I think. Its been along time since I had messed with one. we did it like 7 or 8 years ago.

9. fiddy

fiddy

It used to be a common swap from car to truck to get the 5 lug pattern up front.

10. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

the 1949 to 1954 car drums are a perfect fit on the truck , you need to use hub, drums ,bearings, and the grease retainer plate, no holes to drill. I believe the same goes for 1937 up cars

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep get the hub/drum and the backing plate. I'd have to go pull the drum to tell if you have to drill the new holes on the top or bottom but it's self explanatory as two line up and two don't. Use the holes in the spindle for the guide to drill the holes in the backing plates.
    You will also have to make up some spacers to go between the backing plate and the spindle on two of the bolts on each side as there is gap there with the car backing plates.

You will also have to get longer bolts to replace the bottom bolts.

This mud covered mess is under my truck. It looks like I made the spacers to go on the top bolts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  12. Thanks everybody! Once again it's proven to be true! HAMB is the best place in the world! At least to a gearhead.