Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage PF goes to Kansas City Shriner's swap meet Spring 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Apr 15, 2012.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

It has been a crazy weekend here on the Plains of Kansas with wild storms and many tornadoes throughout the region. There were multiple tornadoes going on at once and one big one near us had 5-6 little tornadoes coming out of it. And we heard one overhead at our house but did not touch down. It was a night of back and forth to the basement as our small town civil defense siren kept blowing thru the night. But we survived the storms ok here.
    But I want to talk about the KC swap meet. Things got started on Friday afternoon as me and Mrs. PF left for the 3.5 hour drive east towards the Kansas City area. Her sister and my favorite brother in law Lawrence followed us in his pickup truck and trailer. We stopped at supper time in the small town of Maple Hill, KS which is west of Topeka and home of Puffy's Steak and Ice House which is a great place to eat away from the mainstream crowds of bigger cities. L and I had the special which was KC Strip steaks and salads and it was GOOD. :D

Attached Files:

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

After spending the night Friday night, L and I were up at 5 am and ready to drive another 40 minutes or so south to Lee's Summit, MO for the swap meet. We got a good parking place. The weather forecast was not good and some folks were scared away as many vendor spaces were left empty. This was a shame as the weather was perfect all day at the meet. I should mention there had been a rain shower overnight so the pavement was wet but was very nice on Saturday.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

And now for some photos...

Attached Files:

4. sololobo

sololobo

Dang it POV, I haven't had breakfast yet and you are flashing steaks and homemade onion rings. Looking forward to seeing some swap meet pix. Tough weather day and night, and the weather gal just said we will see wind 50-60mph today. Going to eat, will check back later. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

We love the treasure hunt aspect of a swap meet where you can literally buy just about anything...

Attached Files:

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

a few more pics here...

Attached Files:

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

We soon ran into one of my favorite buddies Dads-53 (Don) who live about 15-20 miles from this event. I never get tired of talking to him but he does get tired of posing for my photos I think...:D
    He always takes the time to tell me a quick story and I like to hear them. It is guys like him that make the old car hobby interesting. If it was just sheet metal and tires, then how fast would that get boring????

Attached Files:

8. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Sweet pics...we had the round of 'Naders last week and we're catching the tail end of the system that is whoopin' up on ya'll right now.

Anywho, glad you're safe and I can NOT wait for Pate!

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

And speaking of characters we soon ran into Hamber Sodbuster who is also my facebook friend Chris Nelson and his Dad. They are great guys and had some good clean merchandise for sale. And have you ever heard the phrase "that guy can sell igloos to Eskimoes?"
    That just may apply to his dad as he sold me a homemade boat anchor that I thought I really needed to own.....then I realized I do not own a boat....WTH was I thinking? :D

Attached Files:

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

more photos here:

Attached Files:

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

this 40 Ford pickup truck did not run and needed redone for $10,500.

Attached Files:

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Darn...I love seeing/reading about your road trips !!
    Thanks again for sharing these with us...
    'Cheers.............

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I liked this 56 Chevy hardtop except for the price...
    Like most of them it looks better in the photos than it did up close but was still a nice car.

Attached Files:

14. Love to see pics of your swaps over your way,can only dream of so manys choices.

Thanks for the photo's

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

This guy had pulled an old Model TT truck from the trees and removed this cool old hand cranked dump bed and it had sold as he set up the night before...

Attached Files:

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

more stuff here---

Attached Files:

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

the car corral was small and some had prices and others did not...

Attached Files:

18. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

more cars...

Attached Files:

19. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Hey Paul, The weather played a big part in people getting out Sat. we still had a good turn out of 112 cars!

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

random stuff

Attached Files:

21. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I have a pretty decent hemi valve cover collection and wanted to buy these for the "shock value" but tried to be more responsible with my cash this time and money is alot tighter than it used to be. I assume they came off of Barbie's hot rod...

Attached Files:

22. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

needs everything...

Attached Files:

23. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

^^^^Thats just not right (the pink VC's)

24. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

lots of hemi stuff

Attached Files:

25. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

they would hae looked good on your wall Destin and you know it....:D

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

and speaking of favorite people in the whole world I had just mentioned to "L" that I hope we see my pal Ted (lo-buk) and sure enough we soon saw him and his son Shawn and his pretty granddaughter....they are looking forward to the Torque Fest show soon in Iowa. Great guys and always a pleasure....

Attached Files:

27. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

and by now it was getting to be late morning perhaps 9:30 or 10 am and we had worked up an appetite. We smelled the meat grilling on charcoal and went closer to inspect...

Attached Files:

28. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

L ordered a turkey leg and I had a giant pork tenderloin and they cost $6 each. I put some mustard, pickles, and horseradish on mine. After this light snack, we were able to "keep our strength up" and continue shopping...

Attached Files:

29. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

as I took this photo of Lawrence I could closely see the resemblance of him and our cave men ancestors...:D

Attached Files:

30. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

loved this pair of JC Penney cheater slicks that looked like NOS but of course had some dry rot and would only be good for display...

Attached Files: