Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Altered Wheelbase Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Look closely guys.
    Sure looks like modified elim cheater car to me.
    Seen plenty of them. Innocent looking enough to the untrained eye, but never exactly stock either, until you realize the body has been moved backward on the frame and even the motor is on stock frame mounts alright but against the firewall.
    Always look at the steering gear mounting and column angle. Usually a give away.
    But bracket racing these days.......... none of this matters anymore.
    Tom S. in Tn.

P. S., (help) I can find the Gasser Madness site, but how can I find the photo's of this car?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Found them !
    Tom S.

3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I have a video with the "Mystery Nine" car making a few passes. It sure looks like a handfull. I also looked up what the saying on the back of the car "suis moi" or "suiz moi" meant, it means follow me in french. I thought that was pretty funny.

4. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Looks like a four door front door with the body and quarters moved forward to close gap. Whatcha think????Cause the quarter window looks alittle long. Still a bitchin' car

5. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

2 Funny, It was "Suivez Moi", you're correct it means Follow me in French. Have a T shirt somewhere with it on the back from the last SS&DI "Woodstock of Drag Racing" at Virginia Motorsports Park, 1999?

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

[​IMG]

The rear axle location looks altered to me. I'd say 6 or 8 inches forward.

7. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

not a chevy guy,looked like a stock wheelbase gasser to me,sorry.

8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Compare the pics people. Look at the centerline of the back axle on the stock '56 vs the altered wheel base '56. Definately moved forward. Don't see how you can even argue that one. Stock 2 door sedan door and quarter window. If you look closely at the black body, you can even see where they cut the sheetmetal around the wheel well and moved it forward! As stated by others, it is called an altered wheelbase car by the owner on the gasser madness "lost and found" are of the website!

Some people here bitch just to bitch.

JMO,
    SPark

9. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

If your talking to me dick skin I said I'm not a chevy guy and said I'm sorry what more can I say?

10. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

While were on the subject of dick skin.

Did ya here about the Rabbi that didn't charge for circumcision?

He only took tips.........

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! I like to laugh.:D

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I always thought this one was cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

love that!!

13. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

The Mr Norm car (was Color-Me-Gone car) when he very first ran it, the Bud Fauble "Honker" still in PA to this day, the Sox & Martin "short" injected sedan, and the EL TORO who is still making runs today. Just small (1:18 scale) ones.

Always love the AWB pics...

14. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Man I love those. Too bad they're so expensive. They need to be done in 1/24 (takes up less space, leaving room for more pieces), and less detail to keep cost down. I mean working steering in a diecast? Who gives a shit, right? Non opening hood/doors, and just injectors/blower sticking out the hole. I don't display any of my stuff open. Hell, black out the windows and have no interior at all. I'll bet they sell better than what's out there now. This piece is a NICE as they come, and cost 1/2.

[​IMG]

15. 1arock

1arock

007.jpg

011.jpg

006.jpg

Here is my 38 International street race altered kind of project. My grand dad bought it new, it's the first viehcle I remember riding in and the one I learned to drive in. I know it's not exactly H.A.M.B. correct with the wheels and such but, it is an altered. BBC 6-71 injected, t-brake T400, 9inch, tube framed. Everything I have is used or homade.

16. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I thought this thread was about altered wheelbase, not "altered"? Typically those cars altered the rear for sure, and sometimes/mostly the front too. But, just the front would not have been considered an altered wheelbase car as intended by this thread

17. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    Anybody know if this ride is done yet? I know its not old.....but,it is cool!;)

18. I think your idea of cool is very different than most on this site.

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

It's wrong, I guess, but I dig it too.

20. Race Artist

Race Artist

I think this car is pretty cool ... it has the look and spirit of the 1965-'66 era without being a cartoon of what the cars back then were. It takes a basic, more modern car and gives it the right feel in my opinion. The elongated rear wheel openings are great. I hope that it retains the look it has right now without being overdone with a too trick paint scheme.
    Joel

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'm trying hard NOT to like it but.....oh what the heck!....I like it! Hey Mikey'!

22. FAST57F100

FAST57F100
    from Washington

Here is a neat Fairlane in our town. He has done a nice job!

Attached Files:

23. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Thats Steve Magnantes Project.I'm sure it looks a little different now.Hey Steve! Got an update on that Fairmont/Granada AWB thingie? Please post!

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

And I concur. Very fitting conventional design on a later body style; however, it's conventional old school RWD body style.
    I have pondered for a couple years now if a FWD body could be built using conventional RWD school of design and thought, ie; motor in-line, straight axle, narrowed and altered rear axle. I however have not come up with any stunning ideas. Wish I knew how to photo-edit. (photo-shop?)
    Tom S. in Tn.

25. Kinda brings the old and the not so new together. makes ya think of what cars may have looked like if their looks hadn't gone so FAR off track like they are today.

I vote for Like...

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Dennis;where you been? Leave it to Steve to build the oddball car,KOOL!!!!!!I know it is too "NEW" for this site but I'm tired of seeing all the same crap on here!!! ROY.

27. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Here's 2 AWB Fords the Tasca Mystery 9 Mustang 1 of only 11 built by Holman + Moody and a even rearer 86 Ford F350

Attached Files:

28. 1arock

1arock

Hey slick this aint no model car like in your avatar. I been here ten times longer than you have and I know what an altered is. Why is it someone who gets all their creds on the keyboard thinks their oponion matters more than someone who builds and actually does something besides try and add numbers to their post count. 30 months 41 posts VS 1 month 104 posts you do the math.

29. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Whatever, But he is right. Just cause you built dosnt mean it fits the THread.....JOHN

30. Muttley

Muttley

Your truck is about as relevant to this thread as my neighbors Astro Van.