Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Some Old Ford" is My old Ford

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by hvywrench, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bill..next time come to the Bones open house...I would have liked to meet you.

2. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks Jeff! It looks and sounds like a really good gathering of car folks, I'm sure that Roger and Michelle would allow me to tag along....hell, with weather like this past month, it would be easily driveable...at least the car would run cool!
    I sort of watch the posts related to the 'Bones' shop and their work, amazing stuff.
    I dig your artwork with the cars on the salt, too.

3. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Hi Bill, It's great to see and read what you are doing and not doing, it is your after all. Did go through a bunch of issues on my 62. Got a lot of different opinions and I just wanted to fix it up my way, its not concourse or factory correct. Anyway it has been saved from the ravages of time.

Just do it your way and enjoy the journey and good luck with the project:D:D

From this,
    [​IMG]

To this.
    [​IMG]

4. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

5. SOHC427

SOHC427

WreckingBall, and Bill, you are both right, that the 62's didn't seem to get their fair share of love and respect. 64 has been my favorite, but 61 to 64 are all really cool cars, with great features, all their own.
    Eric

6. Well mate I only looked at this intro because of the large amount of posts , now that I have read thru the whole lot I,m sucked right in .When I was in the States last year I was lucky enough to look through Holman & Moody I just love fe motors sadly we dont have many of the good codes down under.

7. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Since there are a couple folks wondering about my progress, I thought I would give a quick update.
    The engine is finally apart and on the stand.....it is all good news in that dept. Nothing is "wrong" with the engine, no copper on the bearings, blue crank journals, or chipped pistons from detonation back when I could only afford crappy gas. Thankfully I managed to NOT damage anything!
    Basically the engine is tired and needs an overhaul.
    Just the end result of a rebuild done on the cheap by a kid with not much money or knowledge of how to do things correctly.
    The one smart thing I always did was to run Kendall GT-1 20/50 oil all the time. I have to believe that made a big difference in "what could have happened".
    The engine is super clean inside and all the bearings are still a matte gray.
    Will probably keep the stock compression, and probably the stock cam, the builder said it looked really good at a first glance.
    The heads look good, valves are not sunk at all and the chambers are clean -no rust or pitting.
    The crank is out for mag check, straightening, and a 10/10 clean-up.
    He'll bolt on torque plates and take all the measurements to see where things stand as far as what machine work will be done.
    There is barely any ridge on a couple cylinders, no scuffing on the pistons, and I can still see the crosshatch marks from the rebuild in the 70s.
    I think things are gonna be really good in a month or so!
    As work progresses I'll post any interesting pics I manage to take.
    I'll probably start a new thread over on the main board once that happens.
    Hope this helps with those that thought I dropped off the map.
    Bill

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sounds GREAT! I love that video and car!

9. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

You said you would post any interesting pictures. They are all interesting cuz. Let's see some motor pics man.

10. raymay

raymay

Welcome from New York.

11. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I'm thinkin' that shots as things go back together willl be better than a bare block on a stand and cyl heads on a bench.
    Try and be patient!
    (Plus, I didn't take any of the engine apart....)(yet)

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Geez I thought I was the only one who believed in Kendall oil back in the day! Great stuff and I'm not surprised your engine stood up so well. Looking forward to more progress.

13. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Welcome from Fennessee .

14. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds good...looking forward to seeing some pictures....maybe a new video?

15. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Jeez! Can't take the pressure!!
    Started a picture thread on the main page. Won't promise a video until I have the engine on a stand for the run-in....and it won't be anything like the original vid! I ain't no filmmaker.
    Updates to the picture thread may not come as fast as you might want, but I'll get them up when I have them.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688871

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  16. KWAJALEIN! I was on Kwajalein 1963-1965. US Navy or better known as McHales Navy.

17. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I was there in 2001 (was there when 9-11 happened......'nuff said).
    When I was there it was an Army base but very few actual Army folks stationed there, mostly contractors to support the missle range.
    Beautiful place, amazing scuba diving. (Not so great as far as wages, so I left).

18. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

19. Willy_P

Willy_P

Welcome from Kansas.
    I always had a soft spot for the 64-66 galaxies, but the 64 looks like it means business and belongs on a NASCAR track - BAD A$$!!

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was just there about 5 years ago doing a generator startup. Nice people, cheap beer, don't get no better than that.:D