Register now to get rid of these ads!

DupliColor engine paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm getting ready to paint my engine, I'm using the DupliColor engine primer and engine paint. I'm reading the can and it says that if you wait over an hour between coats you need to wait a week before the next coat! :eek:

So after I prime do I need to wait a week to cure before the color coat, or can I start color (if less than an hour) and they will cure together? Anyone have any experiences where it went wrong or is the manufacturer just covering their ass with the long cure time between coats?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I called BS the first time I used it and it wrinkled. What they say on the can is correct. I spray then let it flash for 10 to 15 minutes then recoat. I've done up to 7 coats and no problem.

3. whid

whid

always follow directions...painted some shocks,they were looking great. tried to rush it,one more coat and it wrinkled big time....whid

4. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I never use it again. It took 3 cans of chevy orange to get full coverage on my motor
    I started using Rustolium engine paint.

5. rustang

rustang

I've had great luck with the Duplicolor engine paints.... have found it works better without the primer though.

Have used it on the engines, brake drums, etc. Stands up well.
    Tom

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

So I can top coat primer with color after 15 mins?

7. harley rider

harley rider

I think it works better with out the primer too . make shure block is as clean and free of oil as possible.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I dont primer like others have said but yes you can top coat after 15 minutes.

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Some colors don't cover well but orange normally isn't too bad. While Dupli-Color isn't the best thing you can buy, it usually works pretty well. I wonder if your paint was mixed correctly. I have seen that a few times with spray can paint. Or, maybe there was a lot of pigment settled and stuck in the bottom of the cans?

10. n847

n847

I used some cast coat grey today after 15-20 min and it covered great, and after that I shot clear after about 20 and it looks great right now!

11. bigolds

bigolds

Newsflash...Sherwin Williams owns both of these products and they are likely just remarketed/repackaged and only differ slightly in formulation!!! I hate both because of the recoating limitations!!!

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used the primer and haven't had any problems yet . I use the Ford Blue since I rebuild mostly Ford engines . I like the way it goes on and cover really good . It take me about 1.5 cans of primer and 2 cans of Ford Blue for a good cover on a SBF engine .
    I tried Rustolem but didn't like the color Blue as well . Maybe it was just me but I will stick with what has worked good for me for a few years now .

Retro Jim

13. n847

n847

Spoke with a Sherwin Williams rep today...Deffinatly not the same product completely different fourmulations...Newsflash!

14. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I've been using it with their primer with no problems. It does seem to work better when the paint is warm, so if it's cold out, I warm the can in some hot water before painting.

15. bigolds

bigolds

Didn't say they were...just said likely that means maybe....but they are all S/W products.

16. You really have to watch the re-coat Windows on rattle cans. Read and pay attention.
    Cost you plenty of rework when it lifts.