Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A Pick-up Build A.K.A. No Talent Zilch Builds the "Captain"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Feb 7, 2012.

1. No sweat dude. If you need a wider one, let me know. I know where another front end is, that wouldn't be too hard to get.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Does anyone have the spring measurements for Model A, verses later years?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. quick update. Starting to figure out a place for the spring... or a spring.
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  4. Cool Build. Subscribed........and I like your co-pilot also.
    [​IMG]

5. That poor dog puts up with alot of grinding and welding.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice work on the truck , but that engine looks like a real dog : )

7. haha ford powered by a "Duesenberg" (my dogs name)

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't stop now (kidding) this is starting to be reeeeeaaly good. Hope you know there a bunch of us on the edge of our seats waiting to see what your going to do next. A build like this gets us "follow the rules" kind of guys secretly wishing we were up to something like this. Can't wait for more!!!

Frank

9. Well, Thanks. I hope I am not ruffling to many feathers in the "follow the rules" crowd.

10. Nobody can hate on a truck that is this cool.

11. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

A garage project that provides mental therapy. A car named for a fine and important gentleman (important to you and to us: If it hadn't been for him and his kind, the US wouldn't be... ) A Stutz. (Two of 'em, actually) A Duesenberg. Using 'what ya got'. Immense drawing, engineering, and construction skills. A good sense of humor... Loves his dog.

What's not to love about this project?

Congratulations on your planning and the work done so far. I love it!

12. Im digging it so far I just hope that ass end isnt too heavy

13. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Looking good so far... I am curious as to how the bed will fit around the rear caddy clip.

14. The bed design is really up in the air. I know that I will cover the whole rear section. I will make it work and make it look right. I can see it in my head... haha

15. mlagusis

mlagusis

that thing should ride like a Cadillac. :)

16. at least half way. haha

17. UPDATE! (why am i yelling?)

So a friend of mine sold me an abandoned Model A project to help piece mine together. He started with a rough Model A sedan, but ended up with a much better 5 window body for his build.... so I ended up with pretty much the whole Sedan body. Cowl, Doors, and Rear Section.

From 3 I will create one... With my already acquired 5 window supplying side "windows", the panels and back from the Sedan, and a combination of top parts, the cab will have everything I need.
    [​IMG]

He chopped it pretty deep, but since I will be using it to extend the pickup cab, alot of that is unimportant.
    [​IMG]

The bottoms of this car are toast!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and these... I will save or use for something else. Or I have a friend that I think might need these but doesn't know it yet. I'll save everything I can. No waste when it comes to A stuff
    [​IMG]

Also I ordered a few parts that should be here in a couple days.
    This is my last weekend that I will have to work on this car. Gotta go away for a while so I plan to get it as close to a rolling chassis as possible.

18. u bolts and some spring shackles delivered. Time to get back to action.

19. Some stuff I did this weekend.

Dirty Motor
    [​IMG]

Slightly cleaner Motor, sitting in the frame
    [​IMG]

Seriously, Hockey pucks work great. These are temp.
    [​IMG]

Some seriously caked on grim. It going to need hand scraping to get it off, and I spent 4 hours on it yesterday... doing just that.
    [​IMG]

Cross member and where the trans mount will live
    [​IMG]

Coming along...
    [​IMG]

To be continued...
    [​IMG]

well, I cleaned everything up and got as far as I could last night. Not going to get to work on it for a while... gotta go away from a bit unfortunately, but when I get back, I plan on finishing the trans mounts, the cross members, and get that all finish welded. Going to shoot for a earlier front axle to get some more bone clearance. Spring and perch, then getting it turned into a roller with cadillac drums on the juice brakes, which will mean figuring out what bearing or what I need to make that work. From there I will work on the body, by extending the cab and building the inner structure. I'll pull the motor back out and finish cleaning it up after pulling off the tranny. Then just keep making a list and working on it as much as I can. Thats it for now... see ya all in thirty days... hopefully less.

[​IMG]

20. Lean into it, catch up with you a bit.

21. shep_911

shep_911

all I can say is sweet truck

22. mika112

mika112

good choice of engine .I will follow it .

23. [​IMG]

a doodle of my grill treatment. Don't mind the lack of steering arm.

24. hey man thats a really sweet truck! Keep up the good work!

25. small update. I did some welding a few weeks ago and decided to take some photos tonight. I finished welding up the X member in my frame and shaped the center sections of the cadillac frame pieces with alot of cutting and hammering. I am happy with the way it came out. After some grinding they will be smooth as butta'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also... I got the body set forward where it will live it relation to the engine. I am happy with it, and the proportions will be nice in my mind.
    [​IMG]

I didn't take a picture of it, but I was standing there admiring this little hot rod in the making and notices a leak under the engine. I had seen early a little drip that I figured was just from the moving it around. I was wrong.
    A hole it the oil pan seemingly materialized. Fortunately I have another to replace it and I ended up just draining the old oil out. I poured some fresh dinosaur goo in and hand turning the crank. It seems to be moving free and smoother will the fresh oil lubing it up.

until the next time...

26. All the pieces are coming together, Looking good.

27. thanks Wyatt. I can't wait to be done with other crap so I can get back to really working on this

28. [​IMG]

Here's a much better idea what she will look like sans the roof. I think I nailed the image in my mind.

29. I dig the new rendering. Is the 30 days up?

30. [​IMG]

And in COLOR!