Register now to get rid of these ads!

possible to build a "traditional" fenderless sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEFTY_, Mar 18, 2012.

1. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

Hello, I have a question. After owning a 63 coupe deville that was a "done" car and i purchased that way lowered on 78-15 with 4" WW. I got tired of people asking me if i built it and replying with no. So i sold it and started building a 30 sedan. It started as a quick build (don't they all) but i have become fascinated with traditional hot rods and have spend a tremendous amount of money and time trying to replicate that obviously im building it for me anyways but i was just looking for opinions thanks
    -lefty

this picture is how it sits now it will be a done painted smooth car when its finished i have no plan on leaving the "patina"

[​IMG]

2. CAMSHAFT666

CAMSHAFT666

I think its possible...
    But I don't think there is anything wrong with a car that is "traditional inspired" either...

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Definatly a nice start..

From what I can see it looks like some later parts like the steering wheel and the motor also the super low channeled sedan thing seems to be later as well..to me thats leaning towards a late 50's early 60's look.. witch if thats the case those wheels are too early and should look into a later style wheel..

The stuff works ok together but its a little off.. and its really about how "Traditional" you want to go or believe in..

There is plenty of inspiration out there...

its looking good!

4. springer99

springer99

It's called newstalgia isn't it !!! lol

5. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Yep, real good start. Could always ditch the belly-button grille. :eek:

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Nothing wrong with your car. The early wire wheels are just fine. Keep moving forward, and remember you are building this car for YOU, and Not to please everybody else. But, since you asked...
    The one item that does stand out, is the Alternator. Get one of the PowerGEN alternators that look like an original generator.
    http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html
    Sold by almost all of the bigger performance shops.
    Lay back the grill/shell at an angle to align with the top of the cowl.
    Don't know why yer' steering wheel is mounted so high, but it needs to come way down.

7. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

lmao hey thanks for all the replys guys the steering wheel is hanging on the rearview mirror i actually allready bought on of the powergen generators i also am running 56-f100 brakes with drilled drums kirkey vintage drag buckets and i want to put the 32 cowl vent in the model a cowl with a sectioned 49 dash and cowl steering thanks again

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Splains' the steering wheel, your well on yer' way Lefty!

9. I was around in the late 50s and 60s and I dont ever recall seeing a single sedan looking like a knocked over breakfast cereal box. Chopped yes, channeled yes, but not that low. I think that look is more of a recent thing, and is not correctly called traditional, so traditionally inspired would seem to be more correct.

10. cheveey57

cheveey57

X2 any channeling that extreme is not traditional in fact the "R" word comes to mind.

11. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

is 4 inches considered an "extreme channel"?? lol i guess i will just have to call my build thread the "the Traditionally inspired "knocked over breakfast cereal box" sedan build" i like it

"R" word = Radical

12. I recall them grille shells being seriously sectioned back in the day.
    Could be wrong tho ...

13. Rem

Rem

I agree with Evel on the wire wheels - early Ford wires were 'out' by the the time OHV engines were 'in' :) Some nice chromed reverse rims would also give a little more clearance at the rear, so you don't rub off your (thankfully) shiney paint.

But, it's your car so your choice.

One thing I would definitely look at replacing is that kinked tie rod - I reckon that's a good source for death wobble!

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I like low sedans, nuthin wrong with them.
    You dont have to follow any rule, just a little taste. As little as i kno about hot rods i think youre off to a good start.
    All things considered, i'd take Evel coupè as a guideline if i was in your shoes.

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I agree Rocky that its his car and to do what he wants.. I wasn't bashing the spokes there just not of the period of all the other parts.. makes it confused looking..just my opinion as he asked :D

16. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Especially with those drilled brakes those spokes are way off...

Good job tho Lefty.. I see a kick ass Hot Rod in your future :D

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car is a 2012 "traditional" style car.

18. TERPU

TERPU

Your car is cool I'll start by saying that. If you want "traditional" you'll need to start doing some research as to what "traditional" era you are going for. If you want traditional as most people would peg it you better not stray to much past '48 for the parts. That maens Flathead, three speeds and Banjos for the hardcore gotta be cool parts. No Channel for the West Coast style and a typically higher stance. Or you could just style it in a sprit of what you like about the traditional cars and run an early SBC put a hood over it, 5-speed, and an open drive banjo or quick change. "Traditional" is an era thing and you can't go back in time only re-create the feel of an era. Alot of guys are so hung up on the minor details they will never enjoy the car and it never gets done either because they don't have the special widget from 1948. Fuck all that, build the car so YOU can enjoy it in the style you like within your ability and parts allow. There's a ton of books and internet stuff to help you. Go have fun, and to answer your question a Fenderless Tudor Sedan can be "traditionally" styled or era correct. The Era is up to you. Your car could easily venture into the mid 60's as it sits now with its group of parts if you lost the wires and went Chrome reverse.

Tim

19. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

...Just sayin'.....:D

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

21. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

I'm running drilled drums not discs it is an old vintage racing trick and im cutting the steering arms off the tie rod is for mockup

22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

It's called newstalgia isn't it !!! lol

Build to suit your taste and don't worry about labeling. If you get too anal it will take the fun out of it. If you look at some/most of the original "little pages" featured cars, the styling and end product would get totally bashed on here. One of the old timers that I grew up with who restored Cadillac's primarilly said the great thing about building hot rods was everthing was right. No restictions as to whether the radiator clamp was correct or not. Era specific does help keep the car from having a confused look, but it's really about taste and what's important to you.

23. I think that the "belly button" grill is a good start. I would shorten it if it were mine.

The wheels could stay but I would prefer steelies of halibrands, maybe a befire tire on the rear but not too extreme. In the '60s when everyone was running wide ovals I used to run 9.00x15s on the rear of about anything I built.

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Always so many experts. Or maybe that's photoshopped? C'mon. Tell the truth..[​IMG].

25. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  26. But then again look at the difference in the way the rear tires fit the body - That is the HUGE difference between the "New Traditionalists" and the way it was.
    Also since the small block Henry didn't come out until 1962 and probably didn't find it's way into any rods for a year or two, that puts it in a different era. And Personally, I really don't like the fake zoomies you built for it - to each his own.

27. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

can i ask what defines a fake or a real zoomie???

28. 117harv

117harv

I agree with the too low comments, as well as the wire wheels. i think the solids would be better. Please put the tie rod behind the axle where it belongs.

You have a great start to what will be a cool sedan, keep the updates coming.

29. Sure

A real Zoomie is made for a Blown Fuel motor where the only job of the exhaust is to get the spent gasses away from the motor under pressure and actually add down force to the car while it's going down the drag strip. They are built of large diameter tubing and serve a purpose that has been defined over years of racing development
    Fake zoomies are little tubes on non blown, mild motors for cars driven on the street, where they cost the motor power and look like a poser.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Slicks out back and Radir's up front would fit that channel... $0.02