Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap Yard find,.. What a shame !,.. Or was it ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Mar 16, 2012.

1. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

i was thinking cut one side out. Put a awning on it. Set it on the ground. And a bar....out by the shop.

2. saratoga56

saratoga56
    from NY

Would've, could've, should've...

3. Larry T

Larry T

"Didn't"

......in two years trying to sell. Not many folks around here have that much patience to start with.
    Larry T

4. boomosby

boomosby

mannnnn, what a shame

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Id rather see it scrapped than disgrace itself into an Over size Rock-A-Silliy Circus Wagon like that.

I would have parted out the Front clip & Dash parts before scrap though

6. adios kemo sabe!

7. Seems strange the scrap-yard won't sell anything...Just recently,I went with my daughter to a local scrap yard to buy some material for one of her "yard-art' projects..This yard had mostly industrial scrap,but there were a few car/truck/trailer items scattered about.. Not only were we allowed roam the yard and buy,we were furnished with a hardhat, a safety vest,gloves & safety glasses. We were told to ask any employee for assistance if we needed it. We bought 70 lbs of rod,plate,screening ,etc. We were charged according to the type of metal & by weight. The most amazing thing was the written survey form the gave us as we were leaving, wanting to know if we had a good experience, how we were treated, did we find all we came for,etc. I couldn't believe how they bent over backwards to help us for the few dollars we spent..and they acted like they appreciated our business. .
    Guess it's just one of those few places like that

Stan

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

There is a scrap steel place down state named Wisners,.. use to love going there,.. you could buy short run scrap and all kinds of odd shaped steel by the pound.....

But not Rifkins,... At least not Rifkins in Michigan,.. anybody doesn't beleive it, please feel free to google them for there phone number and ask....

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Turbo26T........That is a great place to do business. In spite of my semi-rant above, I do enjoy the privilege of a couple of local places that still permit persons to buy their stuff. There is one that used to do that, and they had great industrial stuff, but ownership changed and NOTHING leaves by retail...it all goes out in tractor tariler loads to wherever. That place is a "metal recycler", not a salvage yard.

One of the cooperative ones is, by comparison, both a heavy truck salvage yard and a metal recycler. The last of the three is a metal recycler, not a salvage yard, but the owner is a pretty savvy guy who likes to make a buck. He will sell anything in the yard for $0.35 a pound. They have a good cross section of 'scrap' from new metal remaining from manufacturing to older vehicles and farm equipement, etc.

It's hard to argue with those operators who do not wish to cater to the small buyer, especially when it may require a good bit more expense and effort to do so. That said, I am especially appreciative of the remaining few who will make their goods available to the public.

Ray

10. Abraham Lincoln had internet access?

11. I could have used that grill, to bad, but in reality that is a big old bus and where are you going to park it.

12. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

that bus may have started life as military-at least the front fenders are cut out like military trucks

13. Damn I could of used the front clip!!!

14. adamshumard

adamshumard

I would have bought it with out even second guessing it. in my neck of the woods if I can get my hands on it, its coming home. Bought a super clean OT 67 electra 225 the other day for less than the guy had been offered by guys wanting to demo derby or scrap it. He had a soul and wouldnt let the old car go out that way.