Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatever Happened to Rolled Pans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky Famoso, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Always one of my favorite modifications back "In the Day"...
    What Happened? Anybody still doing these?...

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Mini-truckers are keeping the flame alive...........

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

50s-60s full size cars...

4. Squablow

Squablow

My '53 Ford has a rolled rear pan which I will be cutting out to re-mount a rear bumper. I've seen a small handful of cars where rolled pans looked good, but mostly looks like an 80's streetrod type mod to me.

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Research... but there is a certain satisfaction in being one of the "crowd".

6. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Interesting that was is the first reply, ...while I used to see one I liked on a car occasionally back when, I always thought the best application was the back of a P/U, in fact I almost considered them requisite on pick-ups, ...with or without nerfs, ...still kinda feel that way, but a little more at ease with other apps, on cars I still think they're coolest with frenched split bumpers!

7. F&J

F&J

Some of the old details are coming back into the hobby....takes time for it to make the rounds...what is old is new, or something...

8. LabRat

LabRat

Poor Rolled pan ... The want to drag bumper , would be the culprit .
    Slowly people are realising the elegance of a mild static drop , and as mentioned the rolled pan will again find its place on customs that don't grind the rear quarters ...

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I did one on my 50 chevy and got the impression that not too many people here were too crazy about it, but I still love it.
    [​IMG]

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

YOU love it, well that's what counts. A little nerf embellishiment goes a long way, for a finished look.

11. 53Hattie

53Hattie

I think you make a good [& likely correct] point where RPs are concerned.

I'm an old guy, & can appreciate a mild static drop, although I've had a couple statics that weren't so mild & confess I lean toward the more severe. Lotsa comments about non-static not being Trad, but I'll tell you for sure [IMHumbleO] that the biggest reason for that is that we didn't have bags back then [and admittedly might not have been able to afford 'em if we had]. My only reason for using them is simply convenience & ride quality,... you won't see me togglin' the switch all the time, they ain't a toy, they're a tool. ...& you won't see any intentional sparks comin' from my ride!

My apologies ya'll, ...no intent to sidetrack the thread.

12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

very constructive...:rolleyes:

13. That's funny !!!!

14. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

my car is gunna have stude pans does that count?

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'll tell you what happend to rolled pans, they got in the way of extended shackels!

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Absolutely, the Alexander Bros. were famous for using Stude pans.

17. I had a roll pan on my mini-truck in high school!

18. LabRat

LabRat

Lookout Rocky ! Goddamn minitruckers have found your thread !!

19. As we can see, from two posts above mine, the rolled pan has morphed into the "roll pan". Sounds like a cookie sheet. I think this happened right about the time that wheels became rims

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to cut the handle off first. Then it will roll just fine, but I am still not sure why you'd want to. Oh well, to each his own.

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

My model t....

22. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Roll pan, kina rike fry rice.

23. Rolled pans go on hot rods I guess. It was a mini-truck so it was a roll pan. Yes, I also had rims and a stereo not a radio.

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ummm so i have an artical from george barris from the 50's on making a roll pan for a '32 ford, i cant remember which headlites he used but he mighta cut up some blc's for the corners too....

25. chopo

chopo

Denise (hotrodladycrusr) uses hers to make some killer cookies!! :)

26. grazy

grazy

We rolled the pans on a 57 Ford and could not find a clean set of Studebaker pans. So we used the leading edge of a 70s Ford pick-up hood and flipped it up side down cut in the middle to narrow it was wider than needed even for 57 Ford.We cut it far enough back so it ran to wheel opening on front fenders. Some Chevy and GMC trucks have old show car looking scoops in leading edge of hood but was not the look we wanted. We sunk the plate in the center after in was narrowed and it had a raised center that dropped and covered frame rails it looked good . I will try to get a photo up if I can get kids to teach me how.

27. Front and rear roll pans on my 48 3 window Ford in my avatar. Did them 19 years ago still not back on the road. But it's still mine till it or me are done LOL

28. Rolled Pans were the rage in the Upper MidWest in the late '50's, Early '60's......long before there was a mini on the Planet. Go back to your stack of Little Books..... Being young limits your sense of History for certain..................:)

29. DRD57

DRD57

This 29 coupe was looking kind of funny with its rear end exposed and fat tires peeking out the inside edge of the fenders so, I widened the inside of the fenders and fabbed a rolled pan.

Attached Files:

30. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Have one on My OT 68 chopped and lowered chevy Pickup, with recess for the plate