Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Keith if you are going to use the E-2 it takes a number 502 ISKY chilled iron lifter same 1949 to 1956 . number 672 1957 to 1958 . Mike.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. ranchy

ranchy

Thanks for the info Mike. I currently have 2 x 1954 324's, 2 x 1955 324's, a 1957 371 and a 1958 371. I'm using one of the 371's with 6x2 Hly 94's and a big Crower solid cam in my '29 coupe and backing it with a T-5 trans and 9" rear with 4.11 gears. Should be interesting with the Firestone 8.20's on the back...lol. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these engines and am chasing as many parts as I can get for them ( it's a bit hard to find parts for the Olds engines here in Australia ). Thanks again Mike. Best regards, Keith.

3. I have a W&H Ducoil distributor for all 49-58 Olds engines. Rebuilt and tested to 8,000 rpm on my dads distributor machine. Anyone interested please PM me. IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

4. scothman

scothman
    from Ukiah,Ca.

I am helping replace the head gaskets on a 303 Olds and have ran into some things that
    I want to be sure are right.
    There were freeze plugs in top front water ports of the block in front of the front cylinders and what looks like restriction plugs on the front lower water ports. Is this right?
    Also some of the longer head bolts were necked and some were not. Where do the necked ones go?
    And should there be holding dowels in the block for the head to sit on?

5. Can somebody tell my what carb this is:
    [​IMG]
    The fuel inlet is in the back of the carb.

It came on my 1956 Olds 324 but it don't look like the stock 2 barrel (Rochester 2gc) that should be on there.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. They came with a 4 barrel Rochester 4GC as well... One of my rockets has the 2 barrel, the other has the 4.

7. It doesn't look like the 4 barrel on my 1965 425 either.
    Are the different from year to year?

8. I'm not 100% certain without checking my reference books, but I know they used a few different carbs depending on year and model.

I think the '65 425 came with a 4M?

9. 4GC as far as I know. But I changed to a holley.

My problem is, that the choke on the 2 barrel (if that's what it is) don't work.
    There is an unhooked choke cable in the engine bay, but I can't figure out where it goes.
    But I thought it should use the heat off the intake. I'm confused...

10. To Fuxl,

That carb is a Carter WGD. It could be a 2058S since they were stock on the 1954 88. There are lots of variations of these carbs so it could come from a Hudson, Chevy, Buick, or whatever.

11. Thanks Fritz!

Here are some more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It says Power Jet on the side. But it also says Rochester on the side of the choke cover.

Do you know how the choke is supposed to work on this model?
    Here is what I got:
    [​IMG]
    Is it even possible to run manual choke with this carb?

Thanks for your help!

12. fuxl,

My error, the new pictures clearly show that to be a Rochester 2GC. They called them Power Jet in 1956.

13. No Problem.
    So can I use a manual choke with this thing?
    What could be broke for the choke not to work? Spring?

14. F&J

F&J

That's a powerjet as was said, it is not a close cousin of the 2gc.

Take the choke cover off to see what is going on. There is a bi-metallic (heat sensitive) coiled spring in there with a bent hook on the end; that has to line up with the inner choke link.

An old fashioned "hand choke conversion kit" should fit it, but you need the kit that came with the new choke cover which has a hole in the center with a shaft that will turn the inner choke link.

G31270Oldsmobile1938 likes this.
  15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that is the correct carb for your '56 324,
    I found one in my pile of junk with tag attached

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

also, the stock choke will work better than any manual choke when adjusted properly.
    lose the copper pipe and use a steel one like stock,
    you could use a fiberglass shield on the riser pipe like the stock one too.

17. Thanks Paul, I was hoping you'd share your knowledge.
    So when I put the new steel pipe on, does it have to be attached to anything on the intake? Shouldn't there be a hole in the exhaust cross over or something?
    Right now the open end is just sitting above the valley pan cover. You can see it in the first picture I posted.

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yes, it needs a choke stove of some sort to work right. I'll see if I have a 324 2 barrel intake to look at tonight.

19. gonzo

gonzo

While we are on the topic of Carbs for Olds motors. Who is the best source for a rebuild kit for a stock 56 324 four barrell quadrajet? I have a tripower set up on it now and for various reasons am temporarily swithching to the oem set up. The autozone kits I used in the 2GCs were good for about 6 months and the accelerator pumps would come apart. I'd like not to repeat that problem. :mad:

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If your carb still has the original accelerator pump with the leather cup, just soak it in oil overnight and use it again.

21. So what's the official description for my carb?
    Can't find a rebuild kit for a Rochester Power Jet.

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Ask Carbking about a kit. I doubt that you'll find a parts store that can get one any more.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

It is a Rochester 2GC as stated earlier, but it is quite different than the later more common 2GC. Interesting that they would keep the same name. As for how to ask for the kit use the tag number in my close up picture.

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

25. Thanks Paul. I put my order in.
    Hope I'll be able to rebuild it myself.

26. Great informtion!!! Thanks

27. Got another question:
    My 1956 324 cui Motor has #8 heads on it.
    But I thought the standard heads for '56 are #10?
    Does that mean the heads have been changed, or maybe that I don't have a 324?

Thanks, Martin

28. Well, it's possible that the heads were switched out for 1955 heads, or that your engine is a '55, as opposed to a '56. It sounds like it's still a 324 though. What numbers are stamped into the block?

29. Are you talking about the numbers on the drivers side on the block between front and center exhaust flange?
    I haven't been able to get to it, so I'm not sure.

What is strange about the #8 heads is that the car is a '56 and it also has the Jetaway transmission, with means that it was built later in the year.
    I read that they were using all the hydra matics until they ran out and then put Jetaways in. (at least for the standard cars. you could get the Jetaway in the higher trim levels Super 88 and 98).

30. Alright, here is what I found.
    Not sure if it makes sense, tried to clean the surface, but still hard to read.
    J410775
    or J410175