Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neat Original Photo of an Airborn 1957 Ford at the Ford Test Track

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Feb 28, 2012.

1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Check out this great proving ground photo along with three others at theoldmotor.com

2. Garage Dog

Garage Dog
    from Doghouse

WOW that is a cool photos and all of the others are NEAT, Thanks for sharing T-Head.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That Ford looks happy, flying through the air like that!

4. Great photo,...speaking of getting airborn, how many of you guys have ever had a car in the air?....I had a 64 Nova SS that I got into the air one evening many years ago. The road is about 10 miles from where I live now and has a neat hump that you'll lose your stomach on drivin at normal speed; so I thot I'll hit it faster and catch some air.
    Well I did, but my car got crossed up a lil bit and came down and the landing threw me a bit, scared the crap out of me. Never did that again.

5. Fred Smith

Fred Smith
    from Ohio

Check out how their heads look to be are right up against the headliner! COOOOL

6. shadams

shadams

Awesome photo!

We had a hump road we would got to after school when I was in highschool and see who could get the most air. None of us had cars worth a damn so it was maybe a few inches at best. Well, several years later my wife and a friend and I went back to the old road with my moms Civic hatchback which still is slow but much faster than my old truck and hit that hump doing about 75 and went airborne like you wouldnt believe. After we landed face first and ripped off all the splash guards and bent up the tow tabs we laughed our asses off but I could have killed us all...

7. Garage Dog

Garage Dog
    from Doghouse

Flying lessons can be like that, thanks for sharing, did you tell your mom?

8. Did something similar on the 6 Mile Road rr tracks in front of the dump with my old Volare. Something in the rear of the car made a whole lotta sparks when we landed. ;)

Awesome pix. Thanks for sharing!

JK

9. At the hamburger joint in SoCal we used to pull our front shocks and have wheel-standing contests .. after a couple of bumps you could get your frontend a couple of feet in the air .... the 50's fords usually seemed to break their a-arms.... chevys were bullit-proof!

10. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

We had a place on Queen Anne hill called "Devils Dip" where the road just disappeared. I mean you could crawl up to it and not see over it. I took a ride with 3 buddies in a corvair off that thing once at around 35 mph that would have made Ralph Nadar proud. Thank GOD no one was coming UP that hill, we would have gone OVER the top of them.

11. Mom's '79 AMC Concord... 'cept we did it again, and again...:D Then we tried it in a '72 Duster... Scattered the transmission when it bottomed out.

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Glad you folks are enjoying the photo..... When I was young we would do the same thing off of a bridge in Farmington CT. down by the truck gardens. You could fly about 30' @ 50 mph. It was really tough on the cars though.

Anyone from that area I am sure knows the spot.

13. Garage Dog

Garage Dog
    from Doghouse

If you think the flying 1957 Ford is cool watch this clip from the movie Mr. Majestyk.

They beat the crap out of this 1968 Ford truck in the 1974 movie Mr. Majestyk - but it was still kicking ass at the end! That's "Ford tough!" These scenes were actually used in a Ford truck commercial several years later.

Click here to see it.

Attached Files:

14. Garage Dog

Garage Dog
    from Doghouse

I found the all time best flying FORD and the king of COOL Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

Follow this link here.

Attached Files:

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Did it once with my friend at the wheel of his 68 Cutlass..ended up crossed up on the otherside on a dirt road..we were fishtailing all over , he got it under control, did a sliding turn around at the dead end only to slide off into the ditch..

cop showed up while we were trying to get it out, he saw all the tracks in the dirt from our many trials..he ended up pulling us out, and no ticket..man those were the good 'Ol days..do that today and its 5 to 10 years, you dam terrorist:eek:

16. Fred Smith

Fred Smith
    from Ohio

17. magneto57

magneto57

CoooooooooooL..........!!

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thats right down the street from me right now, Oakwood Blvd and Rotunda Dr. Cool Photo.

19. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Hey, Thanks for finding and posting those videos, love the Bullitt scenes.

20. Lucky77

Lucky77

Haha, awesome!

21. shadams

shadams

Hell no.....well, I did just recently when we were telling old stories. But 15 yrs had passed since then so....but the Civic is still around, my grandpa has been driving it for the last 10 or so....

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

"Built Ford Tuff".. Out sold Chevy that year.......

23. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I once had a 56 Volkswagon that I used for off road beating, we used to jump it off a dirt enbankment and be airborne for 30 or 40 feet never had a landing problem. That may be becouse the site was a closed airport. Ha Ha but true.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

notice no helmets or 5 point harnesses. People had balls back then.

25. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

i spent too much time getting mine closer to the ground, think i'd like to keep it there. i did however get a '79 civic airborne. (my high school car) when i hit the ground, the speakers popped out of the rear shelf, other than that.....no other cool car air stories.

26. aircap

aircap

Houston - we have liftoff!

27. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

Does anyone know where this picture might have been taken? Looks similar to the hill on the test track behind the wall acoss the street from the Henry Ford Museum. Went there when I was a kid and my dad pulled into the lot across the street and parked next to the wall and told me to get on the roof of the car so I could see over.Believe me that was the only time I was aloud to do that. Great trip and I still don't know how he knew what was behind that wall.

28. snelson57

snelson57

There is (or was) a very elevated railroad crossing in Kenosha, WI when I was in high school. Went airborne over it one night in my buddy's mom's AMC wagon. He must of enjoyed but because slammed on the brake and switched lanes and did it again....in reverse. We did some stupid stuff back them...I probably spilled my 40.

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Yesterday after we posted the flying Ford test car photo, we received numerous requests to see the ultimate flying Ford. So here it is, Steve McQueen and his Mustang in the chase scene from Bullitt.

Another interesting video we found was a documentary on The Making of Bullitt which shows how it was all done that we think you may also enjoy. While watching both videos check out the cars on the streets at the time, as you will see some interesting scenes.

[​IMG]

30. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I remember going to see Bullitt at the theatre with my buddy and we sat there spell bound watching that car chase sequence. We had to sit and watch the movie a second time (you used to be able to do that without getting hassled by the ushers). Walking home afterward we couldn't stop talking about and reliving every part of scene. We couldn't wait 'til we got our drivers licenses an ddrive like that too.