Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wade Model A Coupe: Build Thread & Photo Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Feb 20, 2009.

1. redzula

redzula

that looks killer

2. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]

holey chit!
    TP

3. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Amazing, as everyone else has said. loads of nice details, subscribed

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Exquisite !!!

5. oldman2

oldman2

Gas fill is killer....Jim

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Fabulous. I'm digging the '34 (?) windshield treatment on the model A body. It's different.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. When I saw the naked frame I thought to myself "Some of these details are senseless. No one is ever going to see that fancy rear cross member when the body is mounted."

Btian, when it comes to detailing a hot rod, you are four steps ahead of everyone else.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Ya know, I look at Bass' creations and want to go throw rocks at my stuff! He has more work and skill in that filler cap than I do a whole friggin' car!!! I'm not jealous, just REALLY admire the work that some CRAFTSMEN are capable of!

He can build a whole car in the time it would take to me build that damn filler!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work! Interested to see how the deck lid comes together next!

10. Brian,
    Hope you don't mind a question but, when you worked these area's with the low crown hammer and high crown dolly, did you do hammer on dolly or off dolly or? I have a area like this on my roof and am not sure how to tackle it.
    Thanks,
    Brian

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

It really depends on the area, but typically you hammer off dolly to bring down a high spot, and you can hammer on dolly to bring up a low spot. You have to be careful hammering on dolly, because it is possible to stretch the area if you overdo it. This is where shrinking comes in.

Most of the time when you have a panel that's damaged this badly, it's going to be stretched a bit already, and straightening the metal is going to stretch it even more. I use a shrinking disc to shrink back high spots after roughing in the shape, and planish on and off dolly from there.

12. Thanks for the info Brian!

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

More Awesome work, fantastic!

Nick.

14. Bass,
    First off, awesome work, as always. Second, what's going under, or is under, the tunnel at the rear of the trunk floor? Support structure for a push bar, perhaps? Or parachute mount for racing the salt flats? I'm sure time will tell, but I'm curious as it's behind-ish the rear crossmember.
    Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress and keep up the great work! Between the Wade Coupe, Bass Coupe, Bass Roadster, and Texas Playboy, your builds make up 40+% of my favorite builds to follow on here. To say you have/keep your hands full is the understatement of the year!
    Thanks again,
    Joseph

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good god... That fuel fill is awesome.

31chevymike likes this.
  16. Don't forget the 1949 Chevrolet Fleetline:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603350

17. draggler

draggler

Damnit ,have you been recognized by metal monthly illustrated yet?
    Pure metal artwork!

18. jackalope

jackalope

Amazing skills! Your time in this field has definitely paid dividends! I am simply in awe of the skill and artistic style you put into this.

Excellent!

Grant

19. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Loved the "Earnst" roadster in Rodders Journal this month !
    Cudos !

20. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

NASA called you can name your price, You sir are a craftsman. Good job, if i hit the lotto i will call You. mark

21. Barnmiester

Barnmiester
    from wyoming

Truly amazing craftsmanship

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sad thing is NASA has been closed. :(

23. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here are a few photos of how I built the dash. I started with an original '34 Ford dash, mainly because I liked the shape at the top of the dash. And since I changed the windshield opening in the car to '33-34 stuff, it is almost a bolt-in deal.

Since there are already a million miles of welding in this car, what's a few more feet?

[​IMG]

Filled the center.

[​IMG]

Snip snip...

[​IMG]

Fitting the new bottom:

[​IMG]

Welded and metal-finished.

[​IMG]

Mocked up in the car:

[​IMG]

I really like how the shape of the dash mimics the shape of the steering wheel, and vice versa. Now that the shape of the dash is finalized, I can go ahead and brace up the cowl and mount the cowl steering.

Thanks for hanging in there with me...I'll try to post some more updates soon.

-Brian

24. cracker head

cracker head

Winner, Winner! Chicken dinner!

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Talented SumBitch... Nice work as always!

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Alright this is right my alley! I also think that the 33-34 dash leave a bit to be desired especially compared to the years prior and the immediate years after. I had thought about doing a similar merger except I was thinking about getting rid of the center "bump" as well and splicing the entire 32 bottom in in my '33.

I like what you did here though, that's very classy and the execution is as usual, perfect. Also looks like it could have been a late 32 or early '33 variation. The curvature of the top of the dash works really well with the windshield opening.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know there's a circle there for reason in the center of the dash......Sun Football tach? :D

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was going to put this 5" SW Curved glass 8k tach I have in the center if I get that "bump" gone but now that you removed the other eye sores it would look perfect there!

29. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

It's for one of the tweeters for the boomin' system. Wait until you see the woofer enclosure that goes in the trunk!

The bitches love bass!

:)