Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. johnod

johnod

We used to ride in the back of the truck, we thought we were having fun too.

2. Church Key

Church Key

Looks like Rita Moreno...

3. I remember riding on the package tray in my old man's 39 Hudson coupe from Baltimore to Indianapolis and back, for the Hudson nationals back in the 70s. No kid seats for me!

4. We had one of those. It had a food tray, and a table/base. Funky blue vinyl canvas upholstery.

5. Maybe if you said you want one like Maggie sits in in the opening to The Simpsons....

6. spitzbohunkel

spitzbohunkel

Yes, had one in the garage that I bought for my son in 1989. I think it is from the 40's or 50's because it has no zipcode on the manufacturers tag. Red steering wheel , and like the picture in Sam's Safe Car. Are you going to Detroit ? dave

7. McDeuce

McDeuce

These must have been for rich kids... We didnt have anything

8. LongT

LongT

Or you could try to stop your girl friend from going forward. Well it did work!!

Bill

9. U-235

U-235

Besides....we all rode in the rear package tray. Dad would hit the brakes and we'd come tumbling out. Giggling, we would climb back up.

10. No such animal. We didn't have seat belts or padded dashboards but we did have lots of hard sharp chrome knobs and crisply formed sheet metal to dash our little brains out. Child safety was buying a 2 door so you could put the kids in the back and that kept us from falling out. We would just fly about smacking into things in a collision.

And we liked it that way!

11. Have you even read the thread? Jeez.

12. What is going on in your avatar. It reminds me of a joke with the punchline: "My man here is a fudgesicle and I'm deep in 'dis pear." (despair)

13. Oh yeah, I forgot the :D. Here's an extra :D.

14. Chevy48

Chevy48

This is sort of the type of car seat I grew up with!....:eek:

It did have a great view!

Attached Files:

• baby.png
      baby.png
      File size:
      170.7 KB
      Views:
  15. this one has brought up a bunch of old memories like riding in the back of dads 60s ford van ,the no rear seats or rear/side glass type ,trying to keep grandmaw from flipping out of a old folding strap chair.

16. The only time ive heard of someone I know using a seat like that was my dad in his nova to make it look like a "family" car

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I hope this is common sense, but since the obvious doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet as far as I read, whatever you do, I sure as hell hope you aren't planning to drive around with a kid actually in one of these seats. Use it as a prop or when parked fine, sounds cool. But, please don't put a little kid in one of those and drive around with them in it.

Yeah, we all jumped around in the car with no seat belts and rode in the backs of pickups going down the highway at 70 mph when we were kids and we are alright. We are alright because we were lucky as shit and we all know it. Some us weren't and many aren't even here now to remind us how cool it was. And stop it with the gov. on my back BS. That is just stupid. We need laws like this because too many dumb asses out there wouldn't know how to take proper care of a child in a car otherwise. Hell, some ignorant fools still don't. There was a story in the local news here not that long ago about some fools whose 4-5 yr. old little boy got tossed out of their car in a crash. Take a guess how he came out of it. Hint, he won't be bragging how tough he is and not needing a child seat at any point in the future.

18. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

[​IMG]

Good God almighty, it truly is amazing that we made to be an adult with shit like this. :eek:

19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck as kids in our parents old sedan in the late 50s early 60s we wore out the carpet on the driveshaft tunnel trying to see over the front seat.

20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

there were lots of child seats before the 60s but I don't think they were considered "safety seats" some even had a belt that wrapped around the seat back to hold them in place (mine did) but not a belt to hold the kid in the seat! The only thing I remember with a belt for the kid was a "Car Bed" a tube framed canvas cradle with 2 belts that strapped the baby down 2 short feet wedged under the seat back to hold car bed on place. My dad did some finish carpentry for some rich family and the lady gave my folks an early all in one kind of carriage/car bed stroller/car seat thing it "grew" with your child I think the car seat/stroller part was also the seat to my high chair. Once I out grew the car seat it was stand between my dad and his seat back (dad was under 5 feet tall so there was space for me and a cushion)or the back seat was open game but I wasn't allowed to stand ON the back seat lay in the back window package tray OK or stand up behind the front seat. car seats were more to keep your kids ass in one place than "child safety" Now in 73 when my first child was born the local hospital would hold your newborn hostage if you didn't have one of those plastic baby carrier things even those cloth bouncy seat things with the little plastic seat belt so the kid couldn't slide out counted as a "child seat" but no way was this hospital going to let new mom go home holding the baby that wasn't safe!

21. If nothing else it brought back many memories. No seat yet but if anyone finds one please contact me. Thanks Wayne
    [email protected]
    ( 519 ) 542-9159

22. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Get crafty, and make your own. Very basic construction. Several postings have given instructions how. But,... I do understand if you want to have something truly vintage.

23. Chevy48

Chevy48

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  24. Kramer

Kramer

Rode from Oregon to South Dakota and back when I was 2 that way. Funny thing was coming back I was thrown out of the car when I grabbed the door handle on a windy road. Was ejected out the suicide door of the Desoto. Luckily I landed on my head. Nowadays my parents would have been jailed, back then it was just what it was, an accident.
    Hope you find the seat you are looking for.

25. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

HAHA\!!! I stood up when I wasnt sleeping on the package tray.
    Usually yellin "Go faster". 57 Four door Ford 223 three on the tree.
    I gotta include myself with the Howd we make it crowd.
    I do remember peein on the floor cause Dad wouldnt pull over, right before I got a wear out session.

27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Not only did they exist, I have the scar on my forehead to prove it. I wish the supposed "Nanny state" had existed, then maybe I WOULDN'T have the scar nor the infantile concussion I got to get the scar. My "car seat" was the hang-over-the-top-of-the-front-seat variety. The car was my Dad's then brand new '55 Belair two door hardtop and the driver was my mom. No latch on the seat back - again, a result of federal regulation. No padded dash - ditto. Panic stop, seat back slams forward with kid in seat, baby face meets metal dash.

I LOVE old cars and trucks but one thing you can't say about them is that they were safer than modern cars.

28. big_dan_1950

big_dan_1950
    from ca

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  29. I need to build this for my son:

Attached Files: