Register now to get rid of these ads!

Man I had a baby boy and now my prodject is on hold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Feb 9, 2012.

1. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Was on a mission to work on my 32 but the new baby has made it hard for me to find time to work on it. cant wait to work in the garage with my little boy. I whish i had a bigger garage mine is too small doing things in there requires me to move the model a out side in the rain then back in late at night when my neibors have to hear my open pipes when pulling it back in. they prob hate me especially after grinding for a few hours and all the welding fumes go up into my house so cant do that with the baby up stairs

Even if i do find the time the noise wakes up the baby. I change my whish. I whish I had a bigger garage detached. sorry venting. Any way If any one has any 32 front spring u bolts with the flat topps for flat front crossmember please let me know it is the only thing holding me up from getting the front end on i have tried to get them and have failed. I do not under stand why the u bolts are so hard to find but I need some help.

On another note I cant wait to teach my little boy the tradition of hot rodding and have him truly understand the ways of building a traditional rod I know it will not be easy but it must be done if our next generation is going to take care of our old cars and keep them old.

Dont get the wrong idea i would never trade my son for a hot rod and i dont want to spend my life in a garage trust me I do enough of that at work every day.
    Coming home and seeing my boy is the best part of my day and would rather spend time with him then being in the garage. but still i also have hopes and dreams of building the perfect rod. I guess im just scared that I may never finish that car just knowing how much work I have to do and now that my new hobby is spending time with my boy. It is just that the car is still in the back of my mind like a first love. Now i have a new love and I will take your advice and take mom out for a nice dinner and tell her how she has changed my life for the better.

Every now and then we all wish we could split our self in three, send one of our self to work and the another to the garage to work on the hot rod all day and another to get the home chores done and cook dinner then come home and have family time. mabe I just like to dream. P.S. about 30 million would be the cherry on top.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Kids are fun man, and you can't introduce them too soon. My youngest is 2 and when I started my 55 in front of him the first time, his eyes just lit up! (350, open exhaust) now every time we leave the house, he crawls into it and begs to go in it!

.....my 3 year old daughter hates it though... scared the crap out of her.

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

sounds like a permit and portable tent garage is in your future my friend,Your son and wife need you right now which is ok,It will comeback,I took a break also for about 2 years when the kids were born,,,,

4. Willy301

Willy301

Well, congrats on the baby boy, maybe you could seal the ceiling of the garage to prevent the fumes from going up stairs. Or build a fume hood that you can roll around to where your welding, and put a hose and a small fan to force the fumes out instead of up.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Your project may be on hold, but your life certainly isn't. Soon as he's old enough to absorb what he sees, haul him out to the garage, put on some good music (not too loud) and talk to him while you work....

dj

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

32s are great!! BUTTT can't hold a candle to a new baby. congrats. mine were born about a month ago, seems like. one is 27,the other is 22. they grow up really fast! congrats again!

7. Gerg

Gerg

pictures or it didn't happen....

Congrats on the baby boy :)

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

They grow up fast enough, can't believe mine is almost 5 and my other going to be 2. Enjoy them now, they are only young once. Biggest thing I learned sice having kids is try to start every project with a driver, makes it so much easier to cruise as you work, and goes over easier with the Mrs. once she has had a ride.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ya know, placing the crib on the hood of a car, with the motor running, will purrr 'em right to sleep. :D

Congrats on a son and you'll get paid back when he's helping you in the garage.

10. F&J

F&J

There is a local big truck repair shop that has a machine to make any size u bolt; round top or flat tops. Small stuff or huge.

Pa is full of big trucks, there must be a shop with a bender nearby.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Cars come and go but Kids will always be there for you if you are there for them. My two are 41 now and I can't believe the years have flown by so fast.:eek: Before they were even old enough to sit up I went to K Mart and bought them two electric fire trucks to ride, and that was the start of their addiction to this hobby.

Right now give your wife all the help and time you can because a new baby really takes a lot of work. For Valentines Day get Grandmom to baby sit and take your wife out on a date. She will appreciate it more than you will ever know, and needs to feel like a woman again instead of just a mom.

You are on the first steps to the best adventure of your life, enjoy the ride.

Don

12. Never2low

Never2low

Congrats! Time will fly, and you'll be back to work in no time. I just became an uncle a couple days ago, and even I fell overwhelmed.:eek:
    Someone actually gave this thread a one star rating? WTF?

13. Powerband

Powerband

.ya know what means - living vicariously?

You get to help put together and test their toys, bikes, and first vehicles. Helped the boys' build up some POS bikes then go-karts, 4' wheelers dirt bikes, then cars and bikes with their ideas...

my wife blames me for older's passion for fast things, younger's bobber riding and daughter's having me help with the spoiler and custom grill on hers...

Have Fun

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Pictures of what making the kid or making the car?

MrC.

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Wish for a happy, healthy kid, be a good dad and the rest will come. Congrats on the boy.

16. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

Enjoy the baby man I know its hard to believe but you will have plenty of time to work on cars later, blink of an eye and they are grown and gone. I started a business when my daughter was 3 and was racing and building hot rods at the same time spent way to much time away from her and pretty much missed seeing her grow up she is 25 now and I hardly ever see her I regret it everyday of my life now.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What you need is a 28-29 Model A center spring bearing, the square top u-bolts and the lower spring plate that go with them.
    32-34s used U-shaped U-bolts like the 30-31 Model As.

Best of luck with the new baby! Don't worry, he'll be out in the garage with you before you know it and you'll be wondering where all the tools and parts went while you have that great pride in your little guy and can't see straight because you'll love him so much.

18. Torchie

Torchie

Congratulations young Father.
    As has been said by others enjoy this time with your child and wife. You will reap the rewards 10 fold later in life. One of my most pleasant memories is of the 1960 Chevy build that I did with my then 17 year old daughter. Good Times.
    Karl.

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

kids really do come with experation date.when they are young they follow you everywhere,getting under your feet. dont shut up and constantly moving, never sitting still. by the time thier 15 they dont want to be seen with you, dont care what your doing or where your going cause they dont want to be near you. then you cant get them off thier but to do anything. not all.but id say a hell of alot of them. but thats teenage yrs. so enjoy it now. cause it aint gonna last.and i would not have missed it all for anything in the world.lol

20. cac646

cac646

I get up at 5:00 to work on my car before th ewife and kid get up. Sucks but have to keep the project moving...

21. 41 C28

41 C28

Congratulations to you and mommy. As long as your little guy is healthy and safe there is nothing for you to worry about. Take a little break and enjoy him, and give mom a hand too. It will only be a blink in time until he is big enough to join you working on the hot rod. Good luck on everything.

22. desotot

desotot

Congratulations, it saves a lot of work and trouble if you feed him powdered milk,,then you can just shake the dust out of his diaper. Hope this helps.

23. Built mine

Built mine

No kidding? YOU....Had a baby?

24. neverwinter

neverwinter

we just had our second - our first son - in oct. i thought 1 kid was a challenge - my goodness the 2nd one brings "me time" to a screeching halt. i need to steal an hour here and there to get out to the garage and just unwind. all the stress mets away when he smiles though. that big sh*t-eating grin tat only a newborn can give. shows how they love unconditionally. they - and mom- need you for everything. its a humbling experience to say the least. while there are def times i miss my freedom, literally nothing in the world comes close to holding my son or a big ol hug from my 3 years little girl (who doesnt wear Princess stuff, she ONLY wears disney CARS stuff)

25. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Congrats man. I've got one coming in August so I'm doing a scramble to get some things done to my car before then because I know it's my last chance to ever do anything to it again besides routine maintenance.

26. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Same situation here. Mine is 14 months and he trys to help me.. Takes daddys wrenches... Brings me bolts and things he finds... Pretends to drive... Its hard to do but its great. O and im a single parent. I feel for you.

27. Speed~On

Speed~On

Congratulations. I have a baby boy as well and it’s been the most wonderful experience in the world! My wife was 4 months pregnant when I purchased my Model A project. With thoughtful time management I was able to devote a lot of time to my wife and son and I still managed to finish a VERY involved build. I know you’re itching to get out in the garage and work on your hot rod; I have been there myself. Just remember mommy and your little hot rodder come first. Like everyone has stated, you will finish your car, just make sure you spend a ton of time with your family. It takes a few months to adjust and adapt to your new schedule with added responsibilities, but you’ll get there. I can’t imagine life without my boy! He already loves the hot rod, too!!!

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have 9, 6 boys and 3 girls. Only my eldest son is 'just like me', he's the light of my life.
    The others are equally loved, only they don't 'get it'.
    Most are waiting to see who gets what when I go to that big Rod Run in the sky...

But not son Rich. Most of my stuff is all apart, (been 'on hold' to build this new shop)
    We go touring in his '27 Nose Job...he has had it down to bare rails twice, gone all through it...Nice little hop up. I get to drive when we go, (we also have matching '55 F100s) and many other projects.
    Nurture your relationship. He is your reward.

29. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Your time will come.. Enjoy them as they are....

Cars will be around a long time after they are gone..

Attached Files:

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Congrats!!!!
    In know time you will have a little helper or two

Attached Files: