Register now to get rid of these ads!

Basecoat versus enamel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fred56, Feb 8, 2012.

1. fred56

fred56

I am prepping my 28 Model A coupe for paint in the spring, my question is whether to paint the frame and front end(no hood or side panels) with enamel and the body w/basecoat clearcoat. My thinking is that on the front end it is easier to repair paint chips. What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. Willy301

Willy301

I think BC/CC is easy to fix, and I don't think your paint will all look the same, and may actually cause some issues if you try to blend them. The BC/CC I use is Urethane based, and will react to the enamel reducer. I also think the clearcoat might give you more chip protection while leaving the color intact.

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Unless you're going with a high metallic finish on the body you should know that you can achieve the same durability, gloss, luster, and repairability with the single stage product. This includes the final finish achieved by color sanding and polishing.

An experienced painter can also get a very nice finish on metallics with single stage, but not many can do that nowadays....

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

Your on the right track, as long as your painting the frame and suspension a different color.

5. darkk

darkk

I"m retired from the industry now but see no problems with your suggestion. Even if you use the same exact paint on both frame and body, if they are not painted at the same time, there is going to be a slight variation in color. This is due to the air pressure/temperature/humidity and the drying time and evap rate of the mix. Most people may or may not notice. I've done so must of this stuff throughout my life maybe I have a better eye for subtle changes. But again, i see no problems with enamel/CC?BC mix.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My Hiboy "AV8"/sbc has black Hi gloss "topcoat" POR 15 as the finish coat on the frame and single stage PPG "Concept" black on body. Looks ok in shop, but I haven't had it out in the sun yet,hope it looks as good in sun as it does under the flourescent lights!

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

Por15 has to be top coated or it will fade to a chalk board looking finish. Do you mean it is topcoated with something from Por15??

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yes, I have 4 coats all different, all from POR 15: the original as a base, then a sandable high build piomer, then another sealer type primer (or maybe it's the reverse on those 2, I forget), then a glossy topcoat. ALL are from POR 15.
    Dave

9. flathead okie

flathead okie

There will be difference in different lighting.