Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info on Anglia from McCartney movie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, Jan 18, 2012.

1. BarryA

BarryA

My question got lost in the Baddest Movie car thread yesterday:

I am working on a magazine article on an Anglia that "was in a movie with one of the Beatles".
    The car I am writing about has been in South Africa for at least 3/4 years, having been imported in pretty bad shape. Reading elsewhere this one from "Give my Regards to Broad Street" may still be around Upstate NY. Just looking for confirmation either way

<fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> [​IMG]
    </fieldset>
    Thanks

2. The "Pop" Paul drove was black [w flames?]and had a small block Ford power as I remember it from that movie

Skip Buttaccio likes this.
  3. I heard they gave it away in a contest after the movie came out. Never heard the winners name or anything else after.

4. BarryA

BarryA

Love the HAMB - PM confirmed the car is owned by a Beatle memorabilia collector!

5. Here it is with the fire on it....

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. customcory

customcory

It was in Street Rodder , don't ask me when though.

7. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I saw this car in the Rochester NY indoor car show a few years back! Cool little car. As far as i know its in upstate NY.

8. Shifter

Shifter

The Anglia in question is/was around the upstate N.Y. area. I last saw it about 2yrs. ago at an outdoor show near Auburn N.Y. I talked to the owner at the show. He told me the history of the car and how he came to owning it. I don't recall the details at this time.

9. stevie.t

stevie.t
    from uk

i think it was built by geof cousins, if you want i could try and find some more imfo:D

10. hershambob

hershambob

yes built by geoff here in england,given away in a compition after the film and won by two sisters in new york,always thought in was rover powered!!

11. Someone told me it was actually paul's car.

12. hershambob

hershambob

the film company purchased the car after the filming had finnished,geoff also had to cut up another pop from screen pillar across to b pillar so they could film the shots of macca driving

13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I'm sure it was Rover (Buick) powered as well Bob. I didn't know it was still around, i thought it was languishing in some film companys storage facility somewhere. Good to know its on the road still.

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

Pretty sure it was.

I remember reading about it in the British " Street Machine" or " Custom Car" magazines.

I believe they went back fom a 4Bbl intake to dual SU's to make it more British looking, before it went to the States.

15. hershambob

hershambob

metalshapes,that sounds like my friends pop in knoxville as he had the sus put back on,it was featured in street machine and still has it

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, you are right. :D :D

I could be confusing it with another Pop...

17. Makes more sense that it would have the Rover drivetrain,being built in UK,I forget more N I .....remember- these days....

18. mysprglide1200

mysprglide1200
    from angola ny

I remember this car very well. when i saw it last was around 1997. i was working as a mechanic at a shop/classic car dealer in orchard park/hamburg n.y. the car was consigned for sale. i gave the car a once over tune up and drove it a bit. it was not easy to drive being right hand drive with a really long floppy steering column. it had near flawless black paint with flames. the interior is pink and salmon leather with big gaudy palm trees airbrushed on the door panels. it was actually powered by a nailhead rover/buick motor with an auto and the rear end was a chromed jaguar independent unit. over all a cool car.

19. Skip Buttaccio

Skip Buttaccio

I've owned the car for almost 20 years and I'm glad to see the interest in it.

20. Skip Buttaccio

Skip Buttaccio

21. Skip Buttaccio

Skip Buttaccio

I can help you out if you're still interested.