Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Motor Crank case ventilation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49toad, Aug 27, 2009.

1. 49toad

49toad

I put a PCV tube from the rear road draft tube to the center carb on my 57 olds J-2. When I drove it to Salina for the Leadsled the motor through oil out the filler tube. I must have done something wrong but I don't understand how this works. Could someone help me understand crank case ventilation.

2. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I also have a stinky early Olds. I would love to hear some creative ideas on de stinkification on Olds stuff.

3. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

BTTT My motor still smells up the garage.

4. slug

slug

Your PCV valve is flowing in the wrong direction. Get one that flows the opposite direction and your good to go. Old post I know but thought I would pass along the info. John

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or if it's an in-line valve just turn it around. Some of them will have an arrow on them indicating flow direction, which should point towards the carb. If they don't, you can check them easily by sucking or blowing on them, They should pass air easily in one direction and not so easily in the other. Flow direction is always from the motor to the carb.

6. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

You also need to let air into the motor. There is an oil separator / baffle in the vc on a factory set up. You need to make sure that where you are adding a pcv valve also has some sort of baffle set up.