Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 graham pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinhunt, Dec 9, 2011.

1. austinhunt

austinhunt

In its original condition. Being torn apart.... again, purists im sorry.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      169.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      399.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      406.8 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      218.3 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
    • 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      148.3 KB
      Views:
    • 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      190.1 KB
      Views:
    • 51.jpg
      51.jpg
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Ironskillz

Ironskillz
    from Madison,AL

3. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

It's gonna make a cool hot rod

4. austinhunt

austinhunt

If anyone out there has a Graham or Dodge from '21 - '28 and need serial number identification or are just plain uncertain of what they have, pm me. A nice guy by the name of Ray was kind enough to send me some hard to find information.

Finding good info on these flatbeds in near impossible. I m having a hard time with mine because there is so many parts from 22-25....If I cant figure it out soon im just gonna grab a number from a hat. Or call it the 24 graham pickup that was only made for a few months and no known survivors exist.

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

Frame has been re-crossmembered with a cheater 'model a' copy. not as neat but just as effective. 3 degree rake accounted for so dont worry if you notice the lack of plumbnesss

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Nice truck. The cab really identifies it as a Graham because of the extra windows behind the doors. If this was under the Dodge name, it wouldn't have those. For a time trucks were sold under both names.

7. Ruggie

Ruggie

Mate don't feel bad abuot chopping it up remember there may not be many of them but i'm shure others have restored them,plus it's yours so chop it up if thats what you want.I have a 39 vauxhall with 23000 miles amoung other vintage/hotrod stuff and i'm going to chop the crap out of that.Nice project keep up the good work.

8. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I really like your project. So unique.

9. austinhunt

austinhunt

lordairgtar i agree, but the real problem is vin number info and lack of documentation, part of why these are hard to find.

Ruggie Thanks for the kind words, I will continue my path of destruction, but one does feel a little guilty every now and then.

bob I think I know which rusty engine you bought hahaha. Alen is at fault for my hot rodding.... If its the engine Im thinkin of you want mine. And since I think you work at youngs gear i will stop by for a chat.

mastergun1980 Thank you very much

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

bob I did not get the truck from Alen but it may have been his at one point. I will ask him.

11. austinhunt

austinhunt

Got my firestone pie-crusted white wall sneakers in from the freight company. Coker helped me out with shipping, not many companies like alaskans.

15 / 6.70 's (2 11/16")

WP_000495.jpg

WP_000496.jpg

12. austinhunt

austinhunt

1980 302 try #1 rusty as hell and 60 over so noooo good

1972 302 ford try #2 lightly rusted and 9/1000 wear ready to be torn down

And as a side note I built this stirling engine in the university machine shop. It runs good on a temperature differential of about 10 degrees

WP_000134.jpg

WP_000050.jpg

WP_000040.jpg

13. austinhunt

austinhunt

The look I am going for- out at so-cal az in phoenix, and dad

WP_000519.jpg

I dont know whats up with this, I tried to delete these pics uploaded by mistake but they remain so enjoy??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  14. Cool, i love seeing diffrent stuff hot rodded. No need to apollgise here, as its a hot rod forum. Theres plenty of other forums for the purists, although i notice theres more of a bond devoloping between hot rodders and restorers.
    Thanks for posting, cant wait to see more.

15. austinhunt

austinhunt

Yeah as a young guy I see that older guys are just glad there is a few young people that dont like video games n such.

16. modelamac

modelamac

Seeing your Graham makes me kick myself in the ass yet one more time!

Here's a few pic of a 1926 Graham, I had 2 chances to buy it and passed!

There is a "LONG" story about how this truck has passed through, and affected my life since I was 16 years old...

Anyway, the truck was built in 1972-73 by a good friend of mine and his brother-in law (it was his brother-in laws truck), it was finished up the night before they left to go to the Street Rod Nationals, they drove it 450 miles to the nationals in Tulsa, OK on its first time out. How crazy was that?

The truck had all cutting edge tech for '73... Big Block Pontiac with a tri-power, 4-speed trans and custom built chassis with XKE Jag front & rear suspension, knock off wheels and one off 10" wide spokes on the back.

The wild thing about this story is everything except for the original engine still exists on the truck!

Hey just wanted to share, I've always loved these trucks and kick myself every time I think about it.

GOOD LUCK! with your project and keep us posted....

Attached Files:

17. austinhunt

austinhunt

Hey thanks! It's great to see another Graham Brothers truck! This one I think would have been after Dodge brothers gained full ownership of the Graham brothers name and business after may 26 (6 volt instead of instead of 12 volt in 21-25)... Dodge brothers owend but the Graham name continued to be used for a few years before the power wagon came about

There is 3 in town that I have heard about. I Have been trying to get a hold of the owners for months now.

Honestly it would be easier to buy an english wheel and make your own copy.... these things are really simple. Had I been smarter I would've made it from scratch.

Here is a real clunky version of my goal

fourandahalfchop.jpg

18. austinhunt

austinhunt

Pete and jakes model a front plain drilled solid axle goodness. Next are motor mounts and trans. mount.

162.jpg

164.jpg

163.jpg

165.jpg

19. austinhunt

austinhunt

Just got the Graham records for what serial numbers were stamped on what dates and can say for certain this truck is actually a 1926 Graham Brothers Truck made in late April/ early May of '26.

Also if anyone has a graham brothers truck (not graham paige) I would be willing to send a copy.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  20. I like it !
    My belief is
    If there is one in a museum somewhere, let's Hot Rod the rest of them !!!
    I'll keep watching your progress.

21. austinhunt

austinhunt

That's a good one. Think I like the way you think.

Rock 'n Roll DaddyO, do you know of any others?

22. sun down

sun down
    from tx

I love East Tx, are you still moving down... I have a place
    in Canton and my brother lives in Ben Wheeler.... probably 30 min or so from Tyler.............love your truck

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

sun down Thank you.

More pictures to come soon... when I get something done that is.

I screwed up my radius rod mounts so I cut 'em off. I didnt like the angle of my hairpins at ride height.

24. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well an update is due but I cant bring myself to take pictures since I have made negative progress. "Driver's head has to come off" because one of the exhaust valves is leaking air when I pressurize the cylinder (for changing valve springs).

This wouldn't be a big deal if I wasnt on a shoe string budget!!!

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

Just got my leeekee number 8 exhaust valve fixed free courtesy of the small town guys at Northern Industrial Machine here in fairbanks and put it all together for a quikee paint job. Not perfect but here is the engine progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. austinhunt

austinhunt

Whoa, lots of work, time for a cigarette. Alright, now more on the engine. (Call it a hogged out 260 for those that dont like 302's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. austinhunt

austinhunt

Please pm me if i should post the pics differently, Im not in to computers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. austinhunt

austinhunt

Ahh almost forgot the axle. Haha see if you can spot the spindles shoved in to the headers. I call it axle into header into vise technology. I tried to find a metallic that looks like cast iron and cam up with a Nason Fullthane single stage

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  29. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Real nice job on the build! I see you live in Fairbanks, my son although presently in Afganastan is stationed at Fort Wainwright. How far are you from the base? Take care and keep up the good work. Scott.