Register now to get rid of these ads!

I want to see pics of the motor in your 49-54 chevy(car)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48buickkid, Jan 15, 2012.

1. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Looking for pics of the motors you guys and gals have in your 49-54 Chevys and info on how hard they were to install. Hopped up sixes, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, big block Chevy, Hemi? Anything but a small block Chevy(unless you have one that is really nice and dressed to impress!)Looking forward to the pics! The more dressed up with finned and aluminum goodies the better. Multicarb intakes are a plus too!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. What's a Shoebox Chevy? A shoebox is a Ford. Just sayin.

3. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Here's the 230 in my '52. Engine came out of a 63 Chevy II. Went in real easy. Set of motor mounts from Langdon's made all the difference in the world. Necessary mods were cutting the extra firewall supports out, removing the ebrake setup, building some method of supporting the clutch bell crank, and a different throttle linkage setup. Also have the replace the transmission crossmember and get rid of the torque rear end in favor of an open drive. Mine has a 3 speed saginaw and a open drive rear out of a 63 corvette or Chevy II (not sure which just going by casting numbers. Probably Chevy II given that's where the engine's from)

[​IMG]

You can see the motor mount a little better in this one. They fit perfectly and the offset mount on the driver's side allow it to perfectly miss the pitman arm.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of what I had to do for the bell crank

[​IMG]

Here you can see why the stock trans xmember doesnt work for this trans. The shift mechanism hits the crossmember. I've got a new one on the way from summit so we'll see how that goes in a week or two.

[​IMG]

4. 48buickkid

48buickkid

I've heard of them referred to as shoebox chevys quite a bit.

5. 48buickkid

48buickkid

This is what I'm talking about! Looks very clean and I like the fact that it doesn't mess with the steering setup. Keep it up!

6. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

heres mine 59 235 IN A 53 CHEVY

Attached Files:

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I've never heard the postwar chevs referred to as "shoebox" - I welcome the nickname- any nickname, for that matter - but in my ears, a shoebox is a ford, like Tri-Fives are all Chevrolets.

Anyway-

[​IMG] This is a 350, but I've replaced the front end completely.

8. cederholm

cederholm

My 235 in my 53 before the sheet metal went back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Wow seems as though there are more inline guys than I thought there would be. That Clifford 4 barrel is sweet as for the 235 with the triple carbs and split manifolds you have me drooling man. I like all these inlines!
    As for the shoebox thing its not a big deal but it might be a my area thing I don't know?

10. Cruiser

Cruiser

Over time some car terms get fuzzy from guys using the term wrong. The fuzzy part comes in when guys started calling Chevy's shoeboxes. Traditional shoeboxes have always been the '49 to '51 Ford because they have that basic square box look to them.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

235 5 speed 3.42 rearend 3 carb thinking 2 bbls

Attached Files:

12. todztoyz

todztoyz

I have to agree... shoebox was always for the fords. I think the recent interest in the 49-54 chev seemed to spawn the same name as it looks simular in shape and didn't fit in the tri-five group. Its kind of deceiving when you see shoebox in the title.

Anyway, heres my big block in my 51 chevy.

Attached Files:

13. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

I've got an idea. Let's all stop giving the OP shit about his terminology and focus on the topic at hand. Let's see some more pictures guys!

14. Welp...you said you didn't wanna see SBC's in the 49-54s but unless you change the steering box or front clip, that's about the biggest engine that'll fit! I'll spare you the engine photos but I had to grind the pitman arm, grind the chevy twisted-outlet-ramshorn manifold to get the two to miss each other...and it still touched on hard left hand turns.
    BTW, I used a big small block in it....406 cu in, 4 speed.
    Tip: Take out the 49-51 steering box and toss it...replace it with a 52=54 box. I did and the roller bearing box has the old "bronze bushing" box beat all to hell.

Attached Files:

15. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

In the oooooold days Chevys were call stovebolt Chevrolets and Fords were shoe box fords, take this info from some one who was there....:eek:

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here'a a pic of my FULL engine compartment of my '50 sedan delivery. No mods required to the steering or suspension. 401 Nailhead with factory 2-4's, SP400 trans.
    [​IMG]

17. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Damn that nailhead is cool as shit in that Chevy. Gotta love unique engine swaps. Something I've considering for a while (albeit far from period correct) is swapping in a supercharged Buick 3800 or the new GM 4.2L inline six that they used in the newer trailblazers and a couple other SUVs. Always thought it would cool to give a new FI engine a go and see if I could still have a sweet car that got decent mileage! I've been watching, and eventually I'll get my hands on a wrecked car with the right engine and my '51 4 door parts car will be in for it!

18. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Diggin that nailhead and big block chevy quite a bit I just wanted to see how much everything was effected by various swaps so far the big block chevys seem like quite a tight squeeze like I thought it was gonna be. Keep them coming!

19. 48buickkid

48buickkid

That looks really nice, with the 5 speed and gear ratio I wonder how you're gonna do on gas. I know it sounds stupid but to me at least, being 19 gas mileage is a worry cause I hope with enough hard work I can make some classic car a daily driver at least in the summer. Looking into 49-54 chevys dont car what body style(four door aero sedans are my favorites but those are few and far between.)

20. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

I'm going to school for Computer / Electrical Engineering and robotics, and I hope to apply that knowledge to my car. My long term goal is to design/build my own multipoint fuel injection intake and design/build a controller circuit for it. Those sixes aren't exactly fuel efficient but if you treat 'em right and keep your foot out of it you won't do too bad. Not sure what a FI setup would do for one but always thought it would be a cool opportunity to apply my schooling to my hobby and bridge the gap between school/play! Also as I mentioned before I've considered swapping in a modern FI engine of some sort, even if it's just a little 4.3 vortec V6. They make pretty good power and the TBI versions don't do all that bad on gas as I recall from the S10 blazer I owned a while back.

21. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

hoping for around 23 or 24 mpg. someone added efi to a 235 on youtube. thought about it myself, just didnt seem worth it. multi carbs look better. just going to run the middle one and dumbie the outer ones.

22. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Or you could just get a progressive linkage. Run the center as a primary and the outside carbs as secondaries. Then keep your foot out of it! Good luck getting 23mpg any way you do it. As far as I know you'll be lucky to pull 16 with a carb setup.

23. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i hope more than 16mpg ,thats what it got with 3 speed and 4.11 gears. the carbs will be 2bbl., so no way will i need six bbls.. just 2 in the middle.

24. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Didn't catch that you were going with a 3 duece...thought you meant 3x1bbls. the 4.11 gears will definitely help but if you've already got them on and you're at 16 already......
    put an HEI dizzy in it. You'll get more complete combustion and that will help with both power and mileage. If you want to tear the engine apart and rebuild there's a number of mods that you can perform to bump up your mileage, most all of them involve the machine shop in one way or another. You can get close to 25 or more out of them if you have the wallet to do it, but for most of use that isn't the case! Check out inliners.org and see what you can dig up there as well. Also, try giving Tom Langdon a buzz. More knowledge than the average human brain can handle in that guy's head. He helped engineer the sixes back in the day and can probably offer you some real good tips for squeezing the dollars out of your gas tank. (stoveboltengineco.com)

25. 48buickkid

48buickkid

I figured with the 5 speed and the gears he has with the progressive linkage set up should put him in the 20s if he keeps his foot out of it. Tire height and drivetrain power loss should also be considered. Anything you can do to help the engine out would be smart also! Either a pertronix electric ignition kit or hei with a good powerful coil and some low resistance plug wires should round out the ignition pretty well, light weight modern pistons and aluminum rockers help too. Basically anything you can do to lighten up the internals and or vavletrain will help some cause the engine wont work near as hard.

26. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Start buying lightweight parts for those sixes and you might fill your bathtub with ice and get your kidney's ready for ebay.

27. gsport

gsport

shoebox chevy
    isn't that an oxymoron statement??

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is why we need to sharpen the terms back up, from time-to-time. A shoebox is a Ford.

29. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Enough about terminology please keep this thread about what I posted gonna try to change the name so you guys can quit your bitching!

30. Cruiser

Cruiser

Here's a Chevy in a '52 Chevy everything fits with ease and lots of room to route whatever.

Seems you now know what a shoebox is an isn't now!..................:D

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]