Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome reverse hub caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Anyone remember them? I just loved the look.

I used to go to Warshawsky's (JC Whitney to you non Chicagoans) with my older brother in the 60's and they used to have them on display.
    Front with hub, rear, dual bar and tri bar spinner.
    All kinds of them.
    I think that the company who made them was Namsco or something like that.

Ford offered them on 64-67 Mercury Cyclones.
    Those had holes for long lug nuts to protrude through.

I have a set of those actually. Like this one

[​IMG]

Someone once told me that they were a Pontiac option in 63 and 64 as well but I am not aware of that.
    What car would they have come on? Catalina? 2+2 did not come out until 1964 and I only saw 8 lug wheels or tri bar spinner standard pontiac hub caps as cool 63-64 options before.
    But, I was only 9-10 years old back then too.

Anyone have any ideas or pics?

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

1st 67 Mustang I owned had a set of those on it. I thought it was a 5 lug wheel, then was disappointed to find out it was a hubcap over a 4 lug wheel. I didn't know 6 cyl Mustangs were 4 lug until then. It was my first car, and was still excited about it.

3. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

i just picked up a pair at french lake auto parts this past summer . they were just laying in the back of a 58 ford. the cleaned up pretty good and are hanging in the shop on the wall... hope to find 2 more someday!!!

4. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

In Australia them there hubcaps were factory fitted on 1967 & 1968 Ford GT Falcons. Odd as it may seem to Stateside folk, GT Falcons were more doors which dominated Aus Motor Sport (circuit/drag/street) in the late 60's. They have become 'Tin Gods' Downunder & consequently the chrome reverse hubcaps & anything associated with GT Falcons now commands drug money. If interested, google images XR or XT GT Falcon to check out the hubcaps. Sorry, I don't know how to upload photos.

5. ^^^beat me to it, not the nicest hubcaps around but they beat 12 slotters:D

6. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

I'm not sure if any other year Pontiacs offered them, but I know '63 and '64 fullsize did.
    I remember seeing them on Grand Prix's but probably were available on other models as well.

7. Erwin

Erwin

Didn't they originate with '64-5 Caliente? Are they stainless?

8. V P Skelly

V P Skelly

My '64 Comet Cyclone came from the factory with them.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Unless you have a Mercury that they came on, I think they look cheap and stupid. I thought that in 1965 and I have not changed my opinion since. Real chrome wheels were not that expensive back then. I had them on my 63 Catalina. I'd have been laughed out of the Mighty Mo if I drove in with the phoney hub caps. JMO

10. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Got any pics? :confused: