Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Altered Wheelbase Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2009.

1. skywolf

skywolf

2. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Good shots from Thunder. These F/X'ers for the period, had more tricks than kitty's titty's.
    This is what funny cars are supposed to look like. Tom S.

3. sololobo

sololobo

What fab altered w. bases. The forerunners for the funny cars for sure. Thanx for all the cool pix kids. ~sololobo~

4. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

These are a few pics of the Wild Child in 1966. The Wild Child was the first Ford Funny Car to be built and raced in Canada. The boys at Rankin Ford started with a genuine factory built FX car, altered the wheelbase, stuffed in a nitro burning 427 wedge and raced the car in Canada and the US.

Due to "way too many blowups" they swapped out the 427 wedge with a 427 Cammer running gas for the 67 season. Ev and John told me in 66 they were robbing 427's out of special factory build 427 Fairlanes to support their racing needs. Many of the 427's they blew up were replaced under factory warranty on the Fairlanes they stole them out of.

Attached Files:

5. oldschool king 27

oldschool king 27

im running the radir cheaters on my 64 awb fury , on a altered they hook real good . i will buy another set next time. happy with them. just cost a little more then the cokers. but better made. and you have a better surface. buddy bought the cokers and was not happy with them.

Attached Files:

6. i ran in the 8 sec zone with radirs you say you are happy and they hook for you to why reinvent the wheel then. radir now has 12 in slicks now i have them on my 31 chrysler coupe they hook to. quality isn't expensive it is priceless

7. oldschool king 27

oldschool king 27

well said ! i may try the 12 inch next. i have the room

8. SFX1 6.jpg I'm going to post a few pics of s/fx-1 let me know what you think if there are positive comments i will post more

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    brut4s likes this.
  9. SFX1.jpg both pics are from union grove wi

brut4s likes this.
  10. SFX1-8.jpg george rays in arkansas

brut4s likes this.
  11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

This is exactly what it used to look like. Do you have a regular weekly program to run in up there in Wisconsin?
    I dare say, if it were possible for folks to see real actual cars, ones like they own and drive, not some kind of generic reproduction competing against one another, the stands would be filled again while showrooms emptied. This shot from Arkansas could have been taken in 67'......... or am I confused?
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    MoonLoon likes this.
  12. it was taken in 2000 if i remember correctly. i was with geoff stunkert at a goodguys show in indy 2000. i told him i had a friend chuck jolliff who helped run george rays hot rod wildcat dragstrip in arkansas and he would let me do fire burnouts there. long story short geoff set it up with hot rod mag and we set up a date to go down there. the idea was to do a rosin burnout shot and one smokey burnout shot. then when the sun went down we would have fun doing fire burnouts (see avatar). lets just say it was a lot of fun with a lot of memories. nothin like taking a vintage car and putting it in a vintage setting. too bad george ray has passed he was one of a kind. if you want to read more the uncut story is on geoff stunkerts quarter mile stones site.

13. i forgot to say its under nitro hallusination. great story with cool pics from that day. i encourage every awb fan to go there. you have to see the place to believe it. we had so much fun we started going down south hitting sometimes four tracks in one weekend. just showing up unanounced unloading making a blast down their track and taking off to the next track. there was no pressure because we were not booked in. just having fun laughing our asses off to the next track. great times indeed

14. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

Our nearly finished '64 altered wagon is feeling pretty relevant to this thread so I thought I would post some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  15. SFX1-9 4.jpg look no guard rails

16. SFX1-4.jpg labor day weekend union grove

brut4s likes this.
  17. SFX1-3 4.jpg a little different kind of shot union grove that e-model hilbourne injecter was like a piece of jewelry

brut4s likes this.
  18. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Anybody have pics to share of Angel Lencionni's Coca Cola Dodge A/FX from the early nineties? I used to see it at Union Grove fairly often back then.

19. i have about thirty pics of those cars while he had them. my dodge was that mcdonalds car. they had two cars. the first one was unaltered painted silver and black lettered up like a landy car. this stirred up a lot of controversy because it was really the old j c penny penny pincher. so he painted it red and put on mcdonalds. he then bought a second car that was altered before he got it. i have pics of that to. the work was done in indiana. that car also became a mcdonalds car. later on for one partial season it was relettered as the por-15 car. then they were confiscated by the sheriff and ultimately auctioned off. famous baseball player and car collector reggie jackson bought both cars and a t-bolt when auctioned. he kept the t-bolt and then sold the awb to me and the ss-car went to a guy in chicago. i can't say for sure when my car was first altered but i did talk to the guy who did work on it before it was the mds car. he said the conversion was done in the sixties and he sent me some pics of them working on it. from these first early pics to the present i have over 1200 photos.

20. That is stinkin' cool. How about more details of the build? What's under the hood?

21. that wagon is bad ass i like the single headlight grille to

22. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

This is a awesome shot!

23. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

Nothing more than a mild 440 with dual quads and aluminum heads for now. The trans is a fully built 1965 pushbutton 727 with 5000 stall converter. (way too much for this current motor but ready to handle 600 hp) All of our attention went into the chassis and body over the past year. You can read the whole build story from my blog below if you're bored. I can't believe how excited I am to run this car. Hopefully next year we'll have the $$$ to build a seriously stout mill but for now we'll just run what we brung.

24. Any current plans for the car? I'd like to see it run again someday.

25. Cool stuff...you gonna keep the 426 decals on the covers when you run the 500" beasty? :)

26. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

Yup, unless my valve covers have spark plug holes in 'em.

27. we will see what happens no set plans yet i hope it looked good when you saw it run

28. if you go to u-tube there is some video under worlds fastest dodge shot at atco nj

29. Well I hope that doesn't happen! :)

A million years ago I helped a friend put a 470" RB into his '66 Monaco and it was hell for strong, and another friend had a 440 in a '68 Barracuda coupe that was a torque monster, so I'm a fan of wedges.

Holy crap, you started with this?
    [​IMG]
    and ended up with this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  30. SFX1-1.jpg a few more pics cordova il photo shoot this pic was used for the handout cards. cordova has a reputation of having sand blowing onto the top end of the track making it slippery. well shortly after this pic was shot i was sliding from the left lane to the right hands crossed lt chutes out. they are right there is sand on the top end

brut4s likes this.