Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

2. I'll be watching as I know you are watching mine. Might I suggest one thing. Sandblast. Much easier to work on things when they don't have 70+ years of iron oxide on them. Take your time and do it right. You will be happier in the long run. Why don't you build it as a hammered 4 door and then look for a good coupe body later and switch it out? Welcome to the club!

3. I had my '36 body and chassis media blasted, $900 well worth it. I think you wanted a 5 window and this is a way to get one without breaking the bank...

4. 81A is 1938...91A is 1939...so that is really a 38 tranny. They did make a double detent trans in 1938, but with the early style small slider and such.

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool project,gotta watch this

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks guys, Dale I have a small blaster that I use for body panel work and it will definitely get a workout on this body! As far as the chassis goes, I just grind the area I'm gonna weld on, it'll get a full clean up after it's all mocked up. Nostalgia 59 has it right, LOW buck project here... trust me, this four door looks a LOT better in pics than it does in person.... you'd have to REALLY want to build a four door to use this body!

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

That's exactly what it is then... I mean was...:D

8. Looks great so far.

9. LabRat

LabRat

Bird , Bird , Bird is the word ...

Y-block + 3spd , For me ... Is the ultimate hot rod combo , Nice an leggy , lots o torque and an exhaust note made in heaven ...

Thanks for sharing your build , your modesty and respect for your buddies that help provide peices makes for an enjoyable read .

10. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Subscribed! I wrestled with trying to by this from JJ but then I realized I have no skills. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

11. Damn Andy, You are one ambitious SOB.

School is in session. I'll be watching and learning.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm expecting nothing less than great! Cool start, it'll be fun to watch.

Brian

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Andy = Righteous.

I am really glad this is all going to work out buddy. I knew if anybody had the tenacity it was you and the amount of progress you've made in one month is amazing. I don't doubt that we'll see that thing in Wendover this August.

When I get back home I'll post those pics of you burning that crossmember in in my yard just to get it back home.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Andy = Righteous.

I am really glad this is all going to work out buddy. I knew if anybody had the tenacity it was you and the amount of progress you've made in one month is amazing. I don't doubt that we'll see that thing in Wendover this August.

When I get back home I'll post those pics of you burning that crossmember in in my yard just to get it on that Merc rear you scored.

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Andy, let's drive our new heaps to the salt if we get em done...I love that Okie Joe axle too..super nice.

I'm shootin for Lattimore...we'll see..maybe you too?

Jeffrey James rules also....I'm still cracking up about the tweaker chrome plater story.

16. This is going to be cool. I will be watching.

17. BigChief

BigChief

Andy, this thing is gonna be SWEET! ...and Y-block powered too. Looking forward to seeing it!

18. It's too bad Jeffery James had to let one of his nicer cars go. But we all know it would never get done anyways.

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Good for you for going for it!! It takes a lot to build a coupe body from parts, and you have to show a lot of determination and patience to do it! Good luck, these are the kind of interesting threads that make the HAMB great!

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Should be interesting!

21. I'm in on this one! ... Subscribed!

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm guessing it helped fund the '32 5Window build.:rolleyes:

23. Go Kat Go!

I can't wait to follow your build all the way through!

Keep it up! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

24. bustingear

bustingear

Nice work so far
    Should look great. I wonder how it would look with a slightly shortened and heavy chopped four door without the coupe graft section. It would be different and might have that unique look.

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Outstanding Andy.

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm all in! This is gonna be cool!

27. Bitchin thread! Subscribed no doubt!

-Shiny

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nope, this one went towards my son's medical bills. This is the year I get out from under those!

29. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Diggin the y block!