Register now to get rid of these ads!

New DVD - Bodywork Restoration Tutorial

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordcragar, Jun 23, 2009.

1. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Bodywork Restoration Tutorial

A COMPLETE COURSE ON DVD by David Gardiner
    David has over 30 years experience and has written numerous articles on metalworking. He has also been a part time teacher for the Restoration Course at the Colchester Institute in England.

Years ago when I was trying to take my auto body experience a couple of steps farther, there were no videos and until the early 1980’s almost no written information regarding metal shaping. Now there is an excellent DVD available. David emphasizes and shows the basic skills that are needed to make sheet metal parts. He makes a patch panel (for a fender) and a gas tank; using just a few hand tools. All of the parts that he makes are with tools that could be found in most shops.

He starts out by showing ways to cut metal using different methods.

Next is Folding and Forming, creating brackets and flanges. He also covers Shrinking & Stretching, Creating Swages (beads) and Hammer Forms.

There is an Introduction to Oxy Acetylene (gas) welding; information on MIG Welding, Spot Welding, TIG Welding and gas welding aluminum. There is also information on leading.

He shows you how to metal finish panels, how to use a dinging hammer, make a curved radius, compound curves and do wire edging.

The DVD is almost 2.5 hours long and one that you’ll watch over and over again; I highly recommend it and have watched it a couple of times. His metal finishing techniques are the same ones that I was taught over 35 years ago.

This DVD is available at: http://metalshapingzone.com

Review by,
    Larry Robinson
    June 17, 2009

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

3. damnfingers

damnfingers

I'll second this recommendation...HOMEMADE44 loaned me his copy.

4. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

Thanks for the post fordcrager. I was hoping there was something like this out there. I'm very interested in learning how to weld and I'm glad this is has an automotive focus.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009

5. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Gonna start saving my pennies. This looks like a great set of DVD's, I think every skill level can learn something here!

6. I am going to order this DVD and I hope others will also, as people need the incentive to take the time to make these videos and recieve a little profit. I don't understand why some think it is wrong to make a product and sell it.

7. i just recived the dvd at friday but was at a carshow and tokk a look thrue ,.its great !!!!
    Thanks

8. OK I'm stupid. How much do these cost in American $$

9. justinj

justinj

38 British pounds = 61.3738 U.S. dollars

10. gonna have to add that to the collection...thanks for the recommendation

11. It's well worth the money, I bought it a couple of months ago. It shows how to go about making panels with the minimum of tooling, i.e no power hammers or wheeling machines. Davids teaching approach makes it easy for the beginner to understand the processes involved, & it's just like being there.

It's like he's condensed an apprenticeship into a 2 1/2 hour DVD. I agree with Fordcragar - this information wasn't available when I was learning, I wish it was.

12. grim

grim

I just ordered this dvd the previews looked great. hotrod1940 said it best, this guy deserves the incentive. Can't wait to check it out.

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What's nice about this video, most people have most of the tools that he is using in the video; you really don't need a lot of special stuff.

14. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

A big thumbs up for Davids video. I ordered and received it just before Xmas, and I have watched it many times since.

15. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ordered mine just before the new year...Hope it gets here soon

16. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got David's DVD in the mail today and was not disapointed. I was torn between watching it all the way through and running out to the shop to try a few of the methods. LOTS of methods. Cool stuff.

Chris

17. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

cool, gonna have to check that one out!

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the kind words guys - glad you liked it!.

Eljorger likes this.
  19. its real a great helü for beginners like me

20. top*hat

top*hat
    from Mesa, AZ

Just now ordered one. I'm excited to see it.

21. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I bought it and have been working on the but welting with out much filler rod part of the video and it seem to work a lot better than mig welding. I just have to keep at it till I'm consistent It does not wort on overlap welds though.

jim h.

22. I know I am new around here, but is anyone willing to let me borrow their copy for viewing? I don't have the cash to spare at the moment, but would really dig watching these tutorials.

Thanks either way.

23. deltafour1212

deltafour1212
    from Michigan

I was wondering, all the people on here who have ordered the DVD and have TRIED it out.

What do you think of it now? Worth the money?!:confused:

Delta

24. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I've watched it a couple of times, and each time I pick up something new. I think that this is a video that you'll watch over and over again.

25. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Yes the DVD is worth the bucks

26. Definitely!

27. deltafour1212

deltafour1212
    from Michigan

From your rave reviews KI3, BANZITOYOTA AND FORDCRAGER I shall order a copy.

Nothing beats, real people reviews!

Thank you

28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks to everyone who has bought a copy. I hope it has helped. I have had lots of nice feedback!

Cheers

David

Eljorger likes this.
  29. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Gotta get this.a Xmas present. To myself.

30. Me too :cool: