Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canvas or vinyl?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The G00SE, Dec 18, 2011.

1. The G00SE

The G00SE

I would like to do a snap down cover on my 52 f-1 to hide my suspension and gas tank. the guy at the canvas store said vinyl would last longer but i think canvas would look better. So any body used canvas ? and what were your thoughts? or is vinyl just the shit?

2. Davyj

Davyj

Canvas would not stay taught as well as Vinyl. That said, if you were looking for a touneau cover for the pick up box, check the size on some of the newer trucks, I found one for a 2000 Ford that fit my C10 pick up, and I have seen some smaller beds that look close to the old step side.For my 48 Chev p/u a local upholstery shop whipped one up, with snaps all around for $150.

3. Coolchange

Coolchange
    from so cal

I have made many "canvas" tonneau (mooring) covers for boats. If you go this route be sure to use Sunbrella marine material. Up to 60" wide. Lots of color choice also.
    There is also a vinyl for covers that is 74 inches wide so you dont have to seam it and it has minimal stretch. For $150 this is probably what you will get.
    The high end covers, and what you used to see back in the day, are made fron the same stuff as convertible tops. This will likely need 2 seams to get the width. And will be pricey.

4. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

If you could swing it, I think the canvas would look pretty sweet.

5. The G00SE

The G00SE

hey cool change how durable is the canvas? is it going to shit out on me?

6. Ever thought about actually finishing the floor in the bed of the truck instead of hiding it under a tonneau? Novel idea huh?

7. The G00SE

The G00SE

well curb speed my suspension goes up were the bed should be so thats a no go , but thanks for throwing in your 2 cents

8. I remember that pick-up from the A.S.T. in Big Horn. The toe of my size 12 chuck taylor would not fit under the running boards.

9. I am useing canvas on my old pickup, military pup tents to be exact. But it is utilitarion.

If you use canvas no matter what quality you use to need to make some bows to support it. They don't have to be anything major but you should use them. Even the early vinyl tonnue covers used bows to support them all except the fancy roll and tuck ones they were actually layed up over a board.

10. The G00SE

The G00SE

ok i like what im hearing but can any one testify to the durabillity of canvas or vinyl?

11. The G00SE

The G00SE

ps porknbeaner i love your handle!