Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Muttley

Muttley

Its the shadow from her arm.

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

It's a motorcycle tire mark

3. jw_deuce

jw_deuce
    from Central OH

This thread and the vintage pics thread have got to be among my top favorite things to view on the hamb.. Thank you all who have posted and keep it going!

-Justin

4. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

can't be a shadow: look at the shadows on the ground.

unless there were two suns that day.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

it was a stripe put on her to pick her out of all the other two piece bathing suit girls in the staging lanes.

6. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

If the grand poobah took the picture, then he must know.:rolleyes:

7. Tybird Music

Tybird Music

Growing up in Philly in the 60's every neighborhood had a race car ! Atco and Cecil County were kicking Wed. to Sun. and Front Street was our Street Race of choice ! Love these pics and comments . Thanks for keeping the best era of the Drags" alive !

8. Chipper

Chipper

Response to # 29919

"Pussy Galore"

9. Hairy Olds

Hairy Olds

10. WCD

WCD

At least the cars time on the track outlasted that of its cousin, John Smysers Terrible Toronado. It barely made it 50' past the Irwindale starting line before it plowed over the guardrail and into the chain link fence causing dozens of spectators to drop their In and Out Burgers else face certain doom..

11. Smyser's was the "Terrifying Toronado". But it was a terrible car! :eek:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  12. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Man you guys just caused me to have a scary flash back. I was standing at the fence when the TT turned sideways and climbed right over the guard rail. I was standing with three of my buddies and we just about killed each other trying to get away from that fence. The car hit the fence and bounced off. It left a bulge in the fence where we were standing. We just walked back up to watch the rest of the races. The car must have busted the oil pan or something because it smelled like burning oil for the rest of the night. They left it sitting where it ended up to get the rest of the show in. They didn't try to get it out until the last race was done. Reading your posts and I was smelling that car again. That was before 1970 when we moved to Thousand Oaks. Thanks for the memories.
    Dan

13. I was in the stands on the pit side that day. When that monster went over the guard rail I was sure glad I was where I was!

14. Chipper

Chipper

Sanford, Maine
    '39 Chev --- 1964
    '55 Chev-----1963
    Anglia--------1966

Attached Files:

15. WCD

WCD

I always cheered for the Anglias that were running for class honors against the ever increasing number of Opels, late model Vettes and Camaros that were beginning to populate the gas class. OK, I had a soft spot for the Opels and considered them bastard cousins of the Anglias.

16. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Well Dean and Bonneville Dan I was sitting in the Grandstands at the Winter nationals in the early 90's telling someone I never met before about some a-hole in that Tornado jumping the fence at Irwindale. He looked at me and said " He was that a-hole" We had a good afternoon anyway. You know me Dean, I sometimes put my mouth in gear before I should know who I'm talking to...

Guiseppe likes this.
  17. bentwings

bentwings

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk to strangers?? :D:D

18. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Yea, but who listens to their mother. Mom told me going fast would make me go blind:D

19. 85-percent

85-percent

20. That's OK Mark, at least you know what color to paint a truck. ;)

[​IMG]

21. rick finch

rick finch

No clue.....anybody?

[​IMG]

22. rick finch

rick finch

23. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Isn't that Ivo-Zueschel? The car just prior to the Barnstormer, recognize the C-T Strokers on the cowl.

24. 296ardun

296ardun

You're right, Ivo-Zeuschel, they finished the car and towed to Seattle with a homemade body by Ivo (no future as a tinbender, Ivo humbly admitted)...this was the first time with the new body (Sorell??)...I was at Lion's when this picture was taken, still running the American front wheels...Ivo struggle to get traction that day and I think Zeuschel detuned the motor slightly.....I think the purple car he is racing might be the Beaver Bros.-Clark, but not sure....

25. 296ardun

296ardun

Beebe Bros and Sixt?? (probably spelled "Sixt" wrong!)

26. WCD

WCD

Hard to make a determination on the mouse powered rail. Too short to be the Ridge Route Terrors. Beebe Bros? I think they started off with fuel altereds, no? The J&M Speed Shop Bantam if I recall. Purple hued chassis tubing looks like the Adams/McKewen Shark, but I know it isnt.

27. Blowen 409 powered Willys built 6 miles from Englishtown. How handy to have a strip almost in your back yard!

Attached Files:

28. 296ardun

296ardun

...It was, somewhat crudely constructed and never went straight...and the less said about John Smyser, the better.

29. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Bob Plumer ...aka Plum made his final trip down the strip today ... RIP Plum you will be missed by all

30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Indeed a sad day for us all! Godspeed, Plum.

c