Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

1. I built 1/25 cars for almost 40 years....When 1/18 Diecast became popular, all I could think of was how cool it would have been to build it all again in 1/18. As nice as it was building smaller cars, I think it would have been far better building larger ones. I really appreciate the very few guys who mod 1/18 Diecast...unfortunately, building cars is no longer the natural direction of young kids anymore so our options in everything are very, very limited. 1/18, 1/12, and 1/8 Scale.....Has anyone made a comprehensive list of the cars available? That would really be a gift to the rest of us......... Centurion9

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a couple of engine parts I've got lined up for the BiG T build... The Weiand "Dragstar" 6x2 intake and some 327 Vette Valve covers.. The covers have already been painted with some cheap .99 cent aluminum rattle can paint.. The intake will be sprayed tonight along with some other parts...

Attached Files:

3. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Here is my Jesse James 54,I also have the 36 just started on it.

Attached Files:

4. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

This thread is inspiring me to drag out my reissue Big T kit and finish the damn thing!

I have an unpainted built-up original BIG T that I found out at Pomona years ago, in its own display case.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Those look good after building them right out of the box.. I also have a couple of the 2005 or 2006 release which comes with allot more stuff..

6. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Thanks man I appreciate it. Here are some more recent pictures of it. They don't do justice, it looks like it has been out side for the last 40 years, the rust looks unbelievably real. The flash made it look orange but it's not. I'm almost done with it, I'm just trying to get the rust the way I want it and some other painting and then assemble. I took the dash out of the wwc 36 Ford and modified it to fit in the Willys and it looks awesome, it has different seats and shifter. The only thing I couldn't change were the lame ass door panels. I will post better pictures soon outside like the first ones.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  7. customcory

customcory

I was working on this Buddy L today. I been trying to figure out what scale its supposed to be, its about 14 in. long. I made the extra sheetmetal bits from 20 gauge. I finally figured out a rear end I liked. Time for a bondo bath!
    015s.JPG 019.JPG 015.JPG buddyllllll.jpg buddylllllll.jpg GetAttachmentbbbbb.jpg GetAttachmentbbbbbb.jpg

8. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Is anybody selling 1/8 hemi heads[including valve covers]? Would consider complete 1/8 Chrysler hemi engine.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Look up TDR at: www.scalemotorcars.com

10. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Here are some better pics....My camera keeps changing the color of the rust,as I have said before the rust looks real the pictures just don't show it. I'm planning on just putting the rest of my r/c cars back on ebay, I have other prioritys now and its either the r/c cars or the real cars, so these have to go. I will post on here when they get put on ebay.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  11. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I started working on one of my WCC Chevy's and put a Ford 427 in it:eek: I figured people but 350's in Ford's and Mopar's so why not a Ford in a chevy.Probably 5-7 hours of work and it fits perfectly.I also cut the original engine plate and kept the radiator and fans. Im not sure what color I am going to paint it yet, but it will be done in a few days

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    Deuces likes this.
  12. They're just like the big and littles I still have from my brother's Big Deuce kit from the 60's. Yours are all shiny, mine are still very pliable and look good but show their age. I've always ben intrigued by all the time spent to detail the side-walls and 'pie crust' (ish) edges, yet they deleted the tread pattern in favor of the straight lines. I'm thinking I may use them, along with the "Moon"
    discs (from the new Big Deuce) on a 1/8th 'Vette I'm thinking of giving a Bonneville treatment to. I killed the interior on that car by gluing felt to
    all the surfaces for that 70's velour look, Ha-ha!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I like the tooling of the original wide white, instead of the new snap in whitewalls. Those rear tire are very hard to find, only came in the big deuce. I lucked out one time buying the blue original 65 vette, and it had 4 of the large rear tires in the kit. Must have been packed wrong in the factory.

Jigger and Deuces like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

I have 3 er 4 sets of the original tall ones from the early Deuce kits... Plus A shit load of the pie crust slicks with and without the whitewalls... The slicks that don't have the whitewalls are from the first (1962) release of the "BiG T"
    Then in 1963, they started coming out with the whitewall versions...

Jigger likes this.
  15. Not familiar with the snap ins, do they come in the new Big 'T' kit? I've thought about
    selling the tires but they hold sentimental value as I remember playing with that original Big Deuce my brother was building, when I was little. For some reason, he kept it at my grandmother's house. Probably so I wouldn't mess with it, ha, ha! I was little but I was always very careful with it as I was always anticipating the day he'd finish it and fire up those headlights. I'd pour over the parts time and time again. I don't remember when or if he ever finished it or for how long it sat on a shelf, if it ever actually did, however, I finally ended up with it when he got married. I was about 17 by then, the car was in pieces. I foolishly pitched most of it when I was married and moving to California.
    My wagon just didn't have room for it I guess. The grille on the one pictured above is from that kit tho I've painted it red as the chrome didn't hold up over time.
    ... I also think the wheels will look great on the 'vette which will be topless and, I think, have the side vents filled or made to resemble a '63 rather than a '65. I may use the spare Pontiac from the old deuce in it too.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Is that Monogram Vette the "red" '76 release??? I have a few unbuilt kits of those also...

17. Deuces

Deuces

The new R-M "BiG T" and "BiG TuB" kits do come with the press in whitewall inserts... Got a bunch of those also...:rolleyes:
    I might sell a few un-opened BiG T kits somewhere down the line... :(

18. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Mine are still pliable as well. And they are still available...:D

19. Something happened and I just realized the post of my current 'Big Deuce" project didn't upload so here I go again.
    I'm not sure which engine to use so I'm making it possible to swap the two out.
    I was smart enough to keep all the engine parts from the old kit and the extra Stroms
    came in handy for this project. The 'vette will get a scratch built tri-carb set up or a
    scratch built roots supercharger (yea, right, like I'll ever have time for this one...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to update these photos some day...

Deuces likes this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

Looks good!!! Naaa scratch that.... It looks damn good!! :) I like it better without the windshield.. ;):)

Jigger likes this.
  21. the only thin i cant understand with the wohle sclae thin is, why you guys do not put some engines and a rc control in it? I really allways wonder that ?

22. Deuces

Deuces

It costs too much!... :rolleyes:

23. thats a point :-(

24. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

r/c, good idea! could be done cheap really. if you guys are thinking about it, look for a used LOSI mini-t, electric r/c, i bet you could adapt all the electonics from it to one of these models.

25. Deuces

Deuces

The early BiG T's did have the option so you could motorize them... That's including the Monogram 1/8 scale chevy V-8 engine kit that came out before the T kits...

Jigger likes this.
  26. Hey, thanks Deuces, big time compliment!

As far as motorizing mine, I don't have the time or the electrical know how to do it right.
    I really like the accurate detail of the kit components as well
    The 'Vette may be an interesting one to consider, tho, when I get right down to it, The
    plastic on these big kits is brittle and, based on how hard I've been on RC cars gone by,
    the hours poured into these kits would be at too big a risk. Working headlights and tail lights, now that could happen...

Deuces likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

I've got the '63 assembly manual and it shows how to wire up the Deuce for working head lights and tail lights... ;):)
    If you want, I could take pictures of those pages and post them on here.... How would that be??? :)

28. No need, As an artist, I was also taken by the instruction booklet so I just kept it around as well, gas tank and all the connectors too. I may put it all in the spare tire and laying it in the boot (trunk.) I could try to make the seat removable and put it in the space behind. I'll know when I get there...
    Thanks Deuces!

Deuces likes this.
  29. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

30. Deuces

Deuces

No problem! ;)