Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I hope somebody hasn't posted this already but the one that annoy's me the most is when folks cal full wheel covers "Hub Caps". Hub Caps are the dog dish type that cover only the hub section of the wheel. The others are Wheel Covers, they cover the whole wheel.

B:)B

2. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

When you see an ad that says something along the lines of "moter good, body good, wheels and rims good, seats good. good al around car, needs tlc" all in lower case.

And when someone thinks there precious cookie-cutter car is worth 3 times more than the highest market value. "Well there was a car just like this on Barrett-Jackson and it sold for $250,000, except it had a 427 and a four-speed in it. So I think mine's a bargain of a deal for just $50,000."

3. Gator

Gator

Calling EVERY old car a 'hot rod' or 'custom'. Your bone-stock, 6 cylinder, four-door anything is not a hot rod. It's just an old car.

4. cbr74

cbr74
    from Nampa, ID

I read all 65 pages. Don't ask me why. I think this was touched upon but it is currently my biggest peeve. Do not say that a part fits my car when I know damn well it does not. I see fits 39 Plymouth and then look at the picture and I can immediately tell that the seller doesn't know jack about the parts he is selling.

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

This drives me nuts, I type in one of my cars on Evilbay and get 10000 listings for it, and all of them are crap that has nothing at all to do with my car, but it claims it fits... Did you know that my 1931 Pontiac apparently takes 12 volt 9007 headlight bulbs and 155 60 R13 tires? Me either... I guess duct tape and mechanics wire will adapt anything.

Also related to that, why is it almost every ass hat selling 40's and 50's International parts says they fit Dodge trucks? I've seen it with glass, body parts, gauges... everything... and none of it is true (with exception to some models in Australia, I kid you not) Why do people think Internationals are made with magic universal parts that fit everything?

More so on topic, I hate when I see "Highly Collectable" in a car ad, anything is collectable, that doesn't mean it holds any value to anyone or commands the prices that some people ask, you know what else gets collected by lots of people? Trash! :D

6. darkk

darkk

*excellent condition....for the year* What the hell does that mean anyways?

7. Originally Posted by rustdodger
    misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you
    It irritates or annoys me when "description" is spelled wrong............................................. discription-discription-discription-discription-discription-discription-:)

8. Deuces

Deuces

Mini twucks????...
    Ok Elmer... We'll let you slide on that one.. ;)

9. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

So a "Motor Boat" runs on electricity? What's "Motor Oil" used for then? My head hurts, I'm confused. :)

When people say "needs fixed" drives me crazy for some reason. It's needs "to be" fixed, or "needs fixing". . . but "needs fixed"? uggggh! arrrrggghhh!!

Also putting "'32 Ford" after everything. I can get it for some things like solid axles, banjo rears, '40 Ford brakes. . . but to list a 1958 Plymouth driver's side door with "1932 Ford" at the end is annoying.

10. amx180mph

amx180mph

[​IMG]

Great son and dad project

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

SCTA on any old part on eBay. Aaaaargh!

"Fits '32 Ford" on just about anything. My butt fits a '32 Ford, isn't a '32 Ford part though!

12. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Hard top...

Why is it the last 10 years people suddenly have no idea what a hard top is?

I was looking at a Kijiji ad for a pair of 59 Meteors and it went on and on about them being rare hard tops... and they were both just 4 door sedans.

13. Sort of like how anything post-1960 with 2 doors and a V8 is now a 'muscle car'.

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Wait, are you saying my 63 Valiant with the slant 6 auto is not a muscle car? ;)

15. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Haha saw that one too. Shook my head.
    Also the term rare being used for anything with 4 wheels and a body it seems like.

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I talked to the guy, seems like a nice fellow, but he wont come done on the price at all... even though he says they have to be removed ASAP, so I just can't justify getting them...

Rare is a bad one, I like it used where it really applies (Like my 1 of 44 but only one left 46 Ford glass top bus, that's rare) but I see it applied to everything more then 25 years old now, saw it on an ad for a 76 Mustang II recently... :rolleyes:

17. Since when did this thread become a Grammar Class?? You guys crack me up!

18. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I also HATE that. Ad says gotta go ASAP. You have cash and make an offer, not a lowball and they say no I'll hang on to it. Happened yesterday with an ot Chevy truck that needs u joints and a driveshaft. Or when the ad has no photos and the description makes you think it isn't so bad, email for pictures, they come and the thing has no front clip, no doors, no floor no steering column, but "it's a builder" and he wants 2500. That one was a 56 Chevy. 4 door at that.

19. There's also the seller that insists their car must be a collectible/valuable because of low production numbers. How do you explain to them that sometimes the reason it had low production numbers is because it wasn't any more popular then than it is now?

20. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

grerat posts by all, great entertaining reading...

"classic"--- don't know what that really means, but i always discourage the term when people say that about our Electra.. it's a pretty car, but i always believe that a classic might be more of a top of the line convertible or 2dr hardtop..

now, the sales brochures often call a 4-door hardtop, a "hardtop sedan" so that may be confusing, that's why i like the word "post" remove all doubt..

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep seeing and hearing "You don't see too many of these around anymore". Perhaps there is a reason that is the case.

22. chubbie

chubbie

this thread is starting to annoy me:p:D:p:rolleyes::)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  23. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

My buddy bought an 86 Blazer off of kijiji a month ago, he showed me the ad, the truck had some rust but looked reasonable, but not worth the $1500 he was asking... then I noticed the photo looked like one of those old 126 Kodak square photos (they stopped making those cameras in the 80's) and was a little hazy, so I warned him it was likely a photo of that truck from the 80's, but he brushed me off, because what do I know, buys the truck sight unseen, gets his new girl friend to pick it up.. and guess what, rusted out up to the windows, rattling 350, weak brakes and crappy interior... it lasted 3 days before it started to have a lot of issues then he sold it to another idiot for the same price...:eek:

I try to make my buyers comfortable and happy with their purchase, they ask me how good it is, I tell them what the problems are and suggest they just come over and inspect it themselves so they are satisfied with what it is and isn't, it seems to help.

I like your avatar! :D

...lol, tread!

24. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Rat-rod. It's making rusty pieces of crap more expensive! Just cause you have an model A headlight that is rusty putting "rat-rod" in the title doesn't allow you to charge more! (this has probably already been mentioned 17 pages back and 1.5years ago but just needed toget it off my chest)

25. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I buy old model kits and I really have to wonder about people on eBay. They will list a sealed in shrink wrap mint kit from 1964 or there abouts. Funny thing is, model car companies didn't start shrink wrapping until 68, 69 or 70.

26. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Makes you wonder just how legitimate the rest of the kits they are selling are, I've bought sealed kits that were missing parts or just filled with sprues... some people suck.

27. Deuces

Deuces

How about anything on reality tv and maybe this thread... :rolleyes::)

28. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

A guy I know calls every one of my hot rods a roadster to include my '32 Sedan. He just got lucky with my last one :)

29. chubbie

chubbie

Great one! TV took a big DUMP! thank goodness for ...the HAMB!:D

30. white64

white64
    from Maine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.