Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Freakin' A" 60s hot rod drag coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 11, 2011.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Subscribed!! I'm leaning toward this early '60's "DRAG COUPE" style myself - I'm dropping the mighty Chrysler 392 blown hemi in mine... Keep up the great insight and build with your coupe!

Attached Files:

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that is one bitchin A, the fenders are just right

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That thing is perfect!!! I am really stoked on this coupe!!!! New wheel and tire combo has put this thing on a whole new level.

My only suggestion is ditch the Edelbrock Finned valve covers for polished Corvette units. Every time I look back at old drag pics those corvette VC's are used 9 out of t10 times and for good reason. They are perfection!

4. RM-Special

RM-Special

I have to say,the car is looking good,you guys got the rear fenders spot on.
    Cheers RM

5. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Damn this thing is gonna scream real loud! Love it!

Chop it a couple inches pleeeeease??:D

Please keep us posted, real nice work!

HC.

6. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

We have Cal Custom 9 fins for it.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Mmmm..... tasty!!! Loving that car!

9. RGG

RGG

Great job on the rear fenders - it really makes the car.

Keep the updates coming!

RGG

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

11. bgas56

bgas56

You are one of the most talented individuals I know. The coupe will be SPOT on as all of his projects end up. Keep on the fantastic build!

12. slepe67

slepe67

The rear fenders came out great!!! It doesn't look so...buck-toothed now! Really smoothed out the flow! NOW, ya wanna do my 32 fenders???

13. 60 ford

60 ford

Cool A build going to be watching this one.

14. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

The fenders are perfect! Love the attention to detail! Nice job!
    J

15. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

I have had this vision for what a coupe should look like for a while. Ryan's brother bought the coupe and went a long way toward collecting the parts to build it. He had the chance to get a really good deal on a house so we worked a trade to keep it in the family. Ryan and I came up with several ideas that we have seldom if ever seen in a coupe. We like the chopped fenderless look too but then there are many that way and it is simply hard to be significantly different. When I saw the old Hot Rod mags from the early 60's I absolutely loved the the full fendered, gasser, drag look. We intend to make this car something special. Wait till you see what we have planned for the suspension. That and there are a few other surprises up our sleeve. Stay tuned boys and girls. If you find any good fendered coupe pictures, please post them. This thing is going to be bad to bone. I don't know what Henry Ford would have to say but the neighbors sure won't like it.

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

We've been at the firewall lately. It's been out twice already. This was an aftermarket firewall that the previous owner had a shop install... poorly.

Here's how it looked before we modified it.
    [​IMG]

We had acquired a pair of 41 Chevy door pieces (they continue the shape of the front fender onto the door). My dad and I knew they would go to good use for some future project. This was it.

They were welded together and installed into the existing firewall to lose the boring square recess.

We removed the firewall in order to clean up the gas tank, trim the cowl lip off, weld in a rod to smooth the shape of the sill, and recess the firewall 3/4 in. It now needs to be removed again to finish weld everything and blend the welds. This will also give me easier access to everything to hammer and dolly areas. The bottom of the firewall at the body mount still needs to be pie cut and shaped into the rest of the firewall. When it is reinstalled, the rest of the seam along the rod where it meets the cowl will be welded and shaped. The little bump in the middle is to clear the cal custom scoop on the tunnel ram.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

We are adding this cowl vent to it also. We are trying to figure out what it is from. When my brother and I got it at the swap meet, the guy said it was from a 33-34 ford.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  18. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The chassis on this car will be exciting. My dad found this Frankland quick change on Craigslist.. the seller was also a HAMBer. It is a project, but it would be too cool under the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Very nice work. I like the way this build is going. Gonna be a badass car when it's done.

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Only in California would you see a '57 Chevy sandwiched between a BMW and a Ferrari on a car hauler..:p

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

But on a more serious note.. I just went through the thread and really dig the direction you're going with the coupe. The shot with the Henry J wheels on the coupe got my heart going a bit. The mags and pie-crusts look much better on there than the wrinkle-walls IMO.

Keep this up!

22. sololobo

sololobo

Yikes, coolness in a coupe, love the old MH logo slicks in the forst pix. Congrats kids! ~sololobo~

23. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

24. outlaw256

outlaw256

just lookin at that thing i forget its 2011. its the 60s again. i love it!!!

25. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yeah! That is a Bitchin' Freakin' A!!!

Subscribed!

26. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The Racemasters in the 1st pic are my drag tires for the Henry J. They are brand new. It took me a decent amount of shopping to find out those have a retro looking logo on the side. 10.5-30-15 slicks from M&H Racemaster. Part number MHR78.

27. jick

jick
    from london

what a great looking coupe!
    i always wanted those '58 tail-lights for my coupe, but since getting hold of a set a few years ago i've worried that they overpower the rear end visually, i've been thinking about frenching them, and having seen yours i really think thats the way to go....seems to take a bit of the "weight" outa them.
    im looking forward to seeing your progress dude!
    jick

28. navypainter

navypainter

Good lookin A. Can't wait to see the finished project

29. S.F.

S.F.

what happend to the blower? that makes the car...in my opinion.

30. modelacitizen

modelacitizen