Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unfinished Business: A 1951 Mercury Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Doctor Detroit, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 1935olds

1935olds

Looks great, your going all out this time. It will be beautiful.

2. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Killer build DD. Really like the gold flattie. Be sure and watch thier eyes when you open the hood.

3. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Congrats on getting another one.
    Very nice looking car. the engine looks Killer!
    MrC.

4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

The best motivation for moving your build along is to keep it at work where it can be easily seen. Then you don't want people seeing it sit there without any work being done. Excellent motivation to stay at work after hours and make progress. Having access to a hoist and forklift for heavy stuff also makes short work out of a big job. I can't tell you how many times I've stayed at work past midnight working on it, only to have to be to work the next morning.

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm looking for a replacement right front fender and right rear quarter. Mine are in okay condition, but they have body damage on them. If anybody has them, feel free to pm me.

Edit: No longer looking

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. olpaul

olpaul

You got a great build going. I love the details. Late nights are what being a rodder is all about. When you sit behind the wheel and start it for the first time, you won't remember those nights.

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

As far as details go, I have a short term and a long term plan. Short term includes getting this back on the road so I can have some fun with it. Which is a majority of the work, since nearly every piece is being diassembled, blasted, painted, reassembled, or replaced, etc. Short term have it painted satin black, and I'll do some pin striping on it. Long term plan includes chopping it, that will wait a year or two. I need to take care of some bodywork, like repairing the passenger side fender and quarter because something brushed along the whole side of this thing. The door has been repaired. After it's chopped, and bodywork is completed, it will probably be gloss black. I'll retain the Merc grille and '51 window after the chop. I'm also thinking of not slanting the posts either. I like a straight post.

8. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

very nice and I like your approach.

9. Two thumbs up from me - I really like them with the 51 window.:cool:

10. davo461

davo461

My all-time favourite model shoebox. Keep it comin'.

11. Shoebox?
    I must have missed something ... :eek::eek:

12. low merc51

low merc51

Looking GOOD !!!!!!!

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Here are a few pictures that I use for inspiration - and the direction of my build. I just can't stop looking at them - most of which I've stolen off the HAMB. I've printed them out and have them hanging in my toolbox and office. You can see a few common themes.... chopped Mercs, mostly 51's, 51 grilles and 51 rear windows, bad ass flames on the black one. No skirts on mine, I really like the exposed rear tire. If any of these cars are yours, feel free to send me more pictures!

Attached Files:

14. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Red merc in the top row middle was built and is owned by Ron Box London Ontario. The workmanship on this car is amazing and its driven every where.

15. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

amazing build! keep us updated :)

16. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Here's an update.... Finally finished mounting the upgraded master cylinder. Figured all of my brake line lengths and routing. Cleaned off the driveshaft and fuel tank with a wire wheel and rust/paint stripper wheel. They look nearly new.

Attached Files:

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn that thing is clean!

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here's an old Boyd Coddington '51 Merc. chopper now in Napa.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm going to need some pointers on converting this to 12 volt soon. I've got a new rebuilt 12V Generator on the way, and I plan to use a Rebel Wire 9+3 harness. I've also subscribed to some 12 volt conversion threads, but I'm sure I'm going to have questions when I am wiring this thing up - I've never done it before.

I'll have the instrument panel completely apart, so should I change bulbs to 12V bulbs, or should I do something different?

Besides the 12V generator, is there anything that is Flathead specific I need to do or change?

Should I get 12 volt mufflers? (juuuuust kidding)

Any advice, suggestions, links, etc are appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  20. banditomerc

banditomerc

I like this build,reminds me of my old mercs i have had,all '51s.keep going like the approach your taking on this project.

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

22. Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Hello Doctor,
    As far as instruments go I've seen it done a few different ways some use a 12 - 6V stepdown power supply to power the whole cluster, some go through and convert all the bulbs to 12V and fit 6V regulators to any electric guages you might have, and don't forget your ignition coil, we used to change them apparently some people ballast them with big resistors but that sounds unreliable to me.

Best regards
    Rick

23. banditomerc

banditomerc

This thread and Normbc9s' merc,which looks like one i sold in 1983,are tempting me.It is a dead ringer.down to the tailights and the slanted posts.your merc picture sure did move me towards selling:eek: my current project and getting another '51 merc coupe.

24. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

25. 'Mo

'Mo

I thought you might appreciate this Watson painted beauty.

[​IMG]

26. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

27. KCsledz

KCsledz

love the copper! cant wait to see the Merc finished!

28. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  29. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Get thread - this is going to be a really nice Merc when done. Wish I still had my '50 Merc. Keep the updates coming!

30. Great Looking Merc! keep up the Good Work
    and you will be Driving it Soon.