Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Kid that walked into the Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, Nov 13, 2011.

1. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

That's how we learned in the 50's and 60's, now the kids want me to pay them to learn my skills, I should charge them!

2. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

It was cool reading this bro. Ill tell ya i can compare a lot of this with my first time I went to the shop and if it had not been for Dawg I probably never would have got involved or even known about the Road Kings. But looking back on the past few years i am very thankful for all the guys at the shop and what they have done for me and you as being the "youngins" of the bunch. And the craziest thing of all is your family and mine have known each other since before we were thought of and I'm just thankful our paths were both lead to that shop.

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

great story, alot of us should try and do the same thing, help somebody that doesnt know. its the way to keep this all going.

4. i wrote a ways back
    grate responces here
    my grand father was a seacrate keeper. do not teach any one else what you know
    then you louse your edge
    that is all i learned from him
    again i wish there was a kid around me here in nw florida to hang around

5. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I know exactly what you are talking about. Without the old guys who took the time to teach me something I wouldn't be the person I am to today. Without the old guys giving kids a chance, hotrodding would forever be lost.

6. dallas1

dallas1

Thank you for a great read little Brother it kinda took me back to when i was a young man!

7. rustbucket65

rustbucket65

Great story very inspirational. Thanks for the pics too.

8. I'd say you did a fine job, of earning the respect you deserve. Too bad there aren't more mentors like this, along with respectful young guys like you. The world would be a much better place. Your Grandfather sure would be proud of you, as well as that fine ride you have.:D

9. hotrodml

hotrodml
    from G town IN

My eyes teared up when I read your post. Would not be the same without you bro. We do have a really good group and I am proud to be a part of it all

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Great story! Thanks so mcuh for sharing it with us. Both your cars looks awesome! Looking forwarded to seeign what you build next.

Do you know what the asking price is? Drivetrain?

11. hotrodml

hotrodml
    from G town IN

were looking for 5k has a chevy 350 with 700r trans we do have the 383 mel and rebuilt 2sp trans the chevy smokes a bit but does good come check it out saturday is always a good day to stop by the road king club house you never know who might be there or what were working on

12. hotrodml

hotrodml
    from G town IN

sent hotrodladycrusr a pm but mailbox is full

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm deleting PM's as fast as I can but I've still got over a hundred to delete before I can start accepting and sending PM's. I a looking for a wagon and the drivetrain combo you've got is cool but I'm looking for a strong runner, no smoking allowed.;) I'll give it some thought. Hows the body? Interior? If you get a chance how about some close up photos to my email? [email protected] Thanks much!

14. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Denise I would love it if you came to the shop, I've always wanted to meet you,p.s. It would be awesome if you brought some of those famous cookies

15. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Seth, I have no words to describe how this hit me. We love ya and we are blessed that you walked in those doors. We are the better for it. And yes, we will still probably always call you cupcake.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I think I'll probably bring you cupcakes when I come to visit.:D

17. Geart story. pass it forward my friend. I love the coup!

18. Kulturepimp

Kulturepimp

Seth,

That was a great story and it speaks to what happens every Saturday and why I get up at 6:00 am to drive north for an hour and forty five minutes. I keep telling people we are a family with a car club problem. Last winter we built three ground up projects to full paint and interior. Seth's Model A, Bill's Desoto and the Club Gasser. I have never seen one argument take place other than the common teasing. There is so much knowledge that passes through those doors every Saturday you can't help but want to be a part of it.

Thank you once again Seth for taking the time to share your great story. See ya Saturday...

19. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Thats cool I like cupcakes

20. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

The big wheel just keeps spinning Seth! Wish I lived closer to the shop myself. I'm reminded of your grandfather and grandma's handywork almost every day when I look at my car. Its been close to 30 years now since they stitched up the interior for my 56 Chevy!

21. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Do you have the candy cane? it would be great if you could post some pictures

22. bunker hill bullet

bunker hill bullet
    from indiana

When I read your story Seth I was reminded of when I first went to the shop, and the excitement I felt. That feeling hasn't changed much as I look forward to saturday now as much as ever. It's awesome how we've evolved into a family. And by the way I remember that kid and his brake line. Seems like yesterday...

Thanks for the good times

23. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Yes, I was going to post a couple with my reply but didn't have any readily available at the time. I may have to just go down in the garage and take a few.

24. lvtodesign

lvtodesign

I want to say a big thanks to all the guys in the Road Kings too!
    My dad's true love of cars was passed on to my son, I"m so glad you guys helped him get started the learning curve is great when you are trying to figure out how to build a car yourself, With all the talented guys in the Road Kings he got to learn from the best. I'm sure my dad is smiling every time "the Kid" fires up that coupe, I promise to get a great interior
    put in it this winter.
    The "kid's" mom,

25. TheTireGuy

TheTireGuy
    from Indiana

Seth,

Good things happen to good people for a reason. And good people seek good people to share their time and knowledge with. Your Grandfather and Grandmother were known in many car club circles as the "go to" people to get awesome interiors done. And when a person needed help, Fred was always there. I am so happy that you got Fred's enthusiasm for beautiful old cars as well as his willingness to help others. As far as your club goes, I can honestly say that you guys really do have something special. In fact, I think you guys are a family more than a club. For that, I am grateful because they have helped you become the Great Man that you now are. So thank you for being you and thanks to the Road Kings for helping Seth get to where he is now. The "Kids" Dad

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  26. powerful story OP , wise beyond your years.

27. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Just wanted to say thank you for all the input, I am overwhelmed by all of the people that have read and commented on this. Thank you

28. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Cool post, despite it was more your history, that couldn't of been a better "intro" in my opinion, despite you been on the HAMB for almost 3 years now... Killer cars and Club, it's how it should be. I use to dream of owning a shop (much cleaner) like the one in the movie "Christine" and just have a nice club building killer rods. I just need to win the lotto now, despite I'm trying to build up a shop myself since noone I really know likes cars anymore, with a very few rare exceptions...

29. Pribbz

Pribbz
    from Kokomo IN

Seth this is such a great story and we are all proud of you and how far youve come. You know its kind of funny, alot of our stories always start the same. "Hey theres a group of guys in Greentown that build hotrods you should checkem out". I for one am truely honored to know you and be apart of the Road King Family! Its pretty cool when you stand back and take a look at things, Time goes on, people enter and exit our lives, we get lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday but one thing stays constant..... "The Shop". Its our safe haven from everyday. Its a place were your always welcome and people are happy to see you and most importantly there always a cold beer in the fridge no matter what.:)

30. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

That is a great story. I am happy to see someone your age interested in real hot rods. That is one fine coupe. I saw it at the Road Rockets Rumble in Indy. I hope you continue the good work. Enjoy it..