Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Kid that walked into the Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, Nov 13, 2011.

1. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

My grandfather was a street rodder, He was know in the area that I live in for having really nice cars, early vettes, 33 dodge ect ect.. I can remember when I was about eight or so handing him wrenches while he was working and he would let me help and make me feel like I did something important. He passed away in October of 94.

I went to a private high school all of the cool kids drove really nice cars, new mustangs the occasional porsche. I wanted to be a cool kid so I got a 63 ford fairlane. I had more fun in that car than any kid in a porshe if that is possible lol anyway by the time I was out of school the frame literally ripped in half and I almost had a serious accident. The Fairlane era had ended. Everyone said it couldn't be fixed. I tore it down took off the dog house mind you I had never really worked on a car.

I have a Uncle that is also well known in our local car scene that stepped up and asked me what I wanted, at that time I wanted a big sled so he gave me a 48 Chrysler New Yorker that my grandfather had owned at one point. this is where my life changed.

I was the kid that walked in the shop, I had been working on the brakes on the Chrysler. My grandmother gave me all of my grandfathers tools. I was the only one in the family that wanted to use them. I was 20 had a brake line in one hand and a flare kit in the other, I tried to flare that brake line literally 5 time but it would keep leaking finally my grandma told me there was a group of guys that had old cars and I should ask them for help I knew they were there I can remember driving by real slow checking out there rides and just drooling. I walked in and asked if they could help. They flared up my brake line asked who I was and what I was working on. They knew my grandfather and the car I was working on when I left they said they were there every saturday and If wanted to I could come back.

I went back every saturday asking for help with my new yorker, they always gave it to me, it eventually ended up in the parking lot where I would work on it out there. She needed a lof of TLC the plan was to give it a quick paint job so I could go to shows with them. I told them about my fairane and the problem I had with it. They said they could fix it. I put the doghouse back on and had it trailored over there I drove it home that day. 3 years without driving her It was like I was back home. I was in heaven. I had something to go to shows like the Indy Road Rumble and I didn't feel akward because I was the kid without the car.

For the next two years I went to the shop and just learned, worked on other people's projects. I learned how to weld although I'm not great at it practice makes perfect lol. I learned mechanical skills, how to use a english wheel, Today I had a great lesson with one of the most talented men I have met about porting and polishing heads. The knowledge at the shop is amazing but it goes farther than just cars.

When I was 20 I had just dropped out of college and got my first real job at a factory. I build cars for a export company and it is a good paying job. Without going to the shop I would have been that cocky kid that would not have lasted a week, but since i was use to not knowing everything and willing to learn at the shop, it reflected at work and I suceed at my job every day

I got married when I was 24. One of my club brothers actually read the vows to my lovely wife and I. A lot of the decorations were donated or given to us by the car club. These are things that I will never forget.

There are guys in the club that play big roles in my life. I have father figures, big brother figures and I'm normally at the end of the poking stick but I don't mind. I look up to these men and they have set a great example for me of what I wanted to be when I grew up, They will never grow up but just the way they lead there everyday life is something that I can stride to be and I can't be thankful enough for that. I am now 25 most of my friends that are my age are partying every night, There is nothing wrong with that it's just not me. When I need advice I go to them. When they need to lift something heavy they go to me. lol.

I am forever grateful for being the kid that walked into the shop. I wouldn't be the man I am today without these guys.

my 63

[​IMG]

The coupe I built at the shop Last winter start

[​IMG]

Finish

[​IMG]
    God Bless the Road Kings

2. 55/98

55/98
    from washington

Thats cool that they took you in and passed on what they know. Congrats on the coupe, nice job.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Great story and great cars! Thanks for taking the time to write the cool story.

4. woodbox

woodbox

Cool story.....thanks for sharing!

5. striper

striper

Lucky fella. Good attitude. Great looking Coupe.

6. Deuces

Deuces

You did great!!! ;)

7. F&J

F&J

Good job for a youngun on the old style coupe. It captures the past. Just when I thought the future of building true hamb friendly cars was bleak :)

8. 'Mo

'Mo

Well told. Keep writing (and building!).

9. I like that. Well done, sir.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great story. This is what hot rodding is all about!

11. Heo2

Heo2

nice coup you got there

12. chevy3755

chevy3755

sounds like a good trail your are on........

13. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

those were the best footsteps you ever took

14. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Good job, the heart felt words and the cars are great. I sure can relate to your story. Lots of good out there if you look for it.

15. onedge

onedge

Stick around.

16. Fantastic, great read and awesome rides ;)

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story! I was in the same boat when I got my 62 Impala in 96 at the age of 20. It´s all about listening to the older guys. Your cars are nice, I love your coupe!

18. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Very cool story. You're making your Grandpa proud!

19. 343w

343w

The story you've written should inspire any young guy who is just starting out working on his dream project. Most of us older guys can look back in life to the mentors who made a difference when we needed it, not just in the mechanical advice as much as the life lessons they taught us! The Lord blessed me with several such people throughout my life and I thank Him each day for those blessings. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us, stay on the path buddy!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  20. Very cool story keep on Hot Roddin'

21. were still gonna f@!% with you from time to time cupcake :)

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice story. Nice cars. Keep writing and building.

23. That is cool
    i got to work in a shop with older men at 13 i built lots of cars most to sell so i could afford my nomad
    i have a shop now at home have 1 neighbor kid who would come over
    and my oldest daughter & her husband
    i wish i had a younger guy that wanted to learn but no one around here
    they want ready done cars no work

24. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

Nice ride, great story, thanks for sharing. My family was mechanically challanged,(dumber than dog shit) when it came to fixing anything,I came by it naturally, according to my mother I was born with wheels, the years of self taught, the fuckups, the disasters, etc I managed to learn. (lived on a Farm, no one around to teach), now I have g/kids and they, like there parents don't want to learn. so pass on what you know to anyone who wants it. Good Luck, and keep building.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool...uh.......Cupcake.

Oooooh...you owe me one now...lol.

Happy for you. Nothin' like combining the knowlege, wisdom, and decrepitness...I mean dedication of age, with the spirit, vigor, and muscles...I mean enthusiasm of youth.

The best to you and your pals. BTW...nice coupe!!!

26. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Great story and great cars. Thanks for sharing.

27. squid

squid

Can we get an AMEN ????

28. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

yes great story ,nice coupe.remember this when a new guy or girl walks in,you can teach them,pay it forward. jack

29. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Nice writing! Love the coupe even the ford.......what happened to Grampa's 48???:)