Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Daytona Beach - Early Land Speed & Stock Car Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Lloyd Seay up on two wheels ...........
    [​IMG]

2. Coming out of the north turn and onto highway A1A ......
    [​IMG]

3. k9racer

k9racer

Look no air cleaner.. Just how long did that Red Vogt engine last?? Thanks for posting I have enjoyed...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

This is a still shot from a 16mm film I have of Daytona Beach 1950.

Attached Files:

5. For those who have not been to Daytona before, or if it's been a long time, here are two photos for comparison to see how things have changed over the years ..........

Here's a photo taken in 1956 of the paved portion of the old beach road course (Hwy. A1A) .......
    [​IMG]

Here's how the same stretch of road looks today ...........
    [​IMG]

Here's the beach portion. This is the same stretch that Malcolm Campbell and others set land speed records .............
    [​IMG]

6. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Actually that current day photo is not where they raced. They raced further north near ponce inlet. They did run LSR cars on the stretch of beach near main street.

7. Thanks for the correction, Greg.

It's been a long while since I've been down to Daytona, and I didn't take those shots. I was relying on the source information. I need to go down there and shoot my own photos of the area. :)

(Does anyone have a fairly recent photo of the section of A1A that was part of the course?)

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Neat thread,wish I could add something...

9. rick finch

rick finch

"White Lightning"....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rick, I'm glad you posted something about Smokey Yunick. I almost forgot that his shop was in Daytona ..........

Smokey in front of his shop ...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  11. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

I'm not a NASCAR guy so you'll have to help me out here. A good friend of mine used to pit for a guy who raced at Daytona in the late 50's, early 60's. I believe the driver's last name was White and he was from Missouri(?). You are speaking of Don White from Keokuk Iowa corn fed.

Attached Files:

12. Here's a photo I found on the net of Don White's Starliner in Milwalkee ..............

[​IMG]

13. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

That is my Grandfathers radiator shop sponsoring Fireball's car.

14. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

Had I get time at the Keokuk racers reunion 1 more picture of Don Whites car.
    [​IMG] Don White #3.jpg (74.0 KB)

Attached Files:

15. cadman89

cadman89

16. ^^^ Thanks for posting.

17. cadman89

cadman89

When I last spoke with Bill Warner he said that he was doing a lot of reserch on racing on the beaches of North Florida.
    At the recent Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance had three cars that set world speed records on Jacksonville's beaches - the 1910 Buick Bug, which set a 20-mile speed record from Atlantic Beach to Pablo Beach (Jax. Beach), and back again. Also, a Wisconsin Special driven by Sig Haugdahl, who is now buried in Jacksonville. He was the first man to go three miles a minute on Daytona Beach, but set the world speed record on Pablo Beach. The huge 1909 Blitzen Benz was there and it was the first time all three had been together since they shared the beach back in the old days. The 1923 Simplex Piston Ring Special, from the picture above raced on Jacksonville's beaches It was discovered in Arlington area of Jacksonville.
    Bill has lots of pictures that I will try to track down.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  18. ^^^ ".... Bill has lots of pictures that I will try to track down." ^^^

Man, that would be great.

19. super-six

super-six

There is a restaurant at the north turn (called "Racing's North Turn") which shows exactly where they raced. Actually the same building where it is located was standing back in the fifties.

http://www.racingsnorthturn.com/

20. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Attached Files:

21. frank spittle

frank spittle

I went to the 50th Daytona 500 with former racer Jim Vandiver a few years ago who raced at Daytona many times. He took me to that restaurant. It is located where the original beach course is which is south of Daytona Beach and remarkably undeveloped compared to Daytona. It is filled with Beach Course memorabilia. If you are interested in Daytona history you MUST visit this place. Be prepared for long waits and good food. For those going to The Turkey Rod Run it is only a short trip from the Speedway.

22. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  23. Garage Dog

Garage Dog
    from Doghouse

T-Head....The Old Motor is one of the best old car websites there is thanks for the link.

24. Clark

Clark

There's a lighthouse down by the old track. there is a great view of where the old track was.
    Clark

25. rick finch

rick finch

26. Good stuff guys. I appreciate all of your posts. Not only did I want this thread to appeal to those who appreciate Daytona Beach racing history, but to also inform readers who were not aware of the importance of early land speed racing at Daytona and the significance of the old road course. Everything in the early days of Daytona ties into what the HAMB is all about. Land speed racing at the "beach" even predates our beloved Bonneville and El Mirage events by a good number of years. In addition to that, people like Smokey Yunick and Ray Giovannoni, well known among hot rodders, operated out of Daytona.

27. dixiedog

dixiedog

Rode right past the north turn restaurant and never had a clue - now i have to go there.
    Great thread