Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Do they really drive them?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Journalist, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Do the really nice rides get driven? Not the rides that go out to compete for G.N.R.S. or Riddler award, it would be stupid to spend hundreds of thousands on a car to risk it like that, or to chip it and (insert another excuse here) but what about rides like Terd Ferguson’s King of Trucks build or anything that Langy even touches?

I guess I am asking, do people drive the rides with leather bed covers, polished everything, chrome dipped, flashy paint (even on the engine, which if anyone knows anything about how you paint metal flake on an engine that gets driven daily, I would love to know because I would love to do that to an engine in a car that I am designing [and hopefully buying]), and drool inducing detail on the street or do they just put a few miles on them a year doing local stuff and then throw them onto trailers?

Plus, no disrespect to anyone else out there who I didn’t mention who builds killer rides or the 2 I posted. I love looking at over the top customs, I just want to know if they are realistic for a dd, or if I would have to tone it down to drive it without issue

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

They're just cars. Isn't that what they're for?

3. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Thats how I feel, but recently I stopped in at a show (the very end) just to see some guys loading cars that weren't all that nice onto trailers. They would start them, drive them up to the trailer, drive it on, shut it off, and then strap down their rides. Why?

Also, I am totally serious about the metal flake engine paint, how is that done?

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah... as Pete said, they're just cars. Sheet metal and paint. I think darn near everybody on the HAMB drives 'em. Their might be a few who are too paranoid, but what's the sense of owning 'em if you don't drive 'em, and drive 'em A LOT!?! :)
    As far as metalflake on an engine, it's not a big deal. Paint it like you'd paint a body. Base color, flake, then clear....

5. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Thats really cool. There are build threads that I wanted to ask the person but tensions run kinda high sometimes, so I thought I should play this one safe.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I guess it's a matter of how much you mind all that nice work getting messed up.

I'd never build or buy an over the top custom, so I'll never know if I'd drive one regularly.

There were a few cars that came from the factory with metallic engine paint, Olds for one...right? It can't be that big a deal. If you expect the paint to last forever and not discolor, you'll be disappointed. If you can live with it discoloring near the exhaust, etc, then go for it.

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

Sounds a bit squeamish to me.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

it's a little different but the last m-cycle I built was a show bike. I will show it through the winter and ride it next summer. the bike before was a nicely finished panhead, and honestly I rode it but not a ton. I worried about wrecks, thieves, people handling it etc...still not a show bike but too nice for a daily driver.i wanted to bask in the new-ness just a lil longer. The crappy car- trailer guys? Who knows, maybe they're not currently registered , or they're just kooks.

10. I cant count how many times I have seen that car going down I-5 in the rain

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

[​IMG]Both of these FLAWLESS customs have been driven. A lot .The Vicky drove to paso robles and won best kustom first time out, the t bird was runner up worlds most beautiful custom and gets driven. The Vicky had the hood come up on the road and had to be repainted entirely. Marcy told me they went through a fast food drive thru in a show car at GNRS!, so yeah. they do.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I don't know if mine is top anything. But I drive mine all the time. Pretty much every day. That's what its for.

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm building a fairly over the top chopped and sectioned truck....lotsa chrome, gloss paint and awesomeness (no leather bed covers though)

And mine will be driven and enjoyed....it'll even have windshiled wipers and they will be used.....

Will the first few chips/nicks and ings hurt a little....yeah....BUT the enjoyment me and my family get by driving them outweigh the risk....that and it will be heavily insured.

14. kemp kid

kemp kid

I saw a rat rod or two at billetproof nw getting loaded onto trailers, shit I think the trailer should be painted to look like a big ass blue dumpster if a rat Rod is stored in it. Build it n drive it

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

My engine is heavily metalflaked and candied.....will it hold up once I get my car going? Hell...I don't know...nor care.....
    Chips, road grime and bug guts are badges of HONOR.........

16. 33mopower

33mopower

Russ Freund built an early T roadster for the GNRS and almost won. It was on the cover of rod an custom with "Americas Most Beautiful T Roadster". He didn't spend hundreds of thousands on it and he drives the hell out of it.

17. I don't know but my truck made it to bonneville this year and I do enjoy the "Bumps and Bruise's on it" just clean it a lot more, thats all, Henry wanted them to be driven not trailered. I'm trying to keep Henry happy.............
    course I don't win shit with it but I'm happy

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

That T is amazing for sure. if you have a chance to build something really nice with a lot of finish-do it!!! seeing how much people enjoy them is almost as much fun as riding/driving it....almost. and josh I want to come by and see your car!

19. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

That thing is sex personafied. Ohh... I just came.

I can live with the discoloring, it is the engine. Shit happens, but I like the look of these engines that are all done up you know?

Your's isn't over the top, I am just very influenced by your ride. I think that it is just gorgeous. The "over the top" thing is the concept drawing that you are influenced by. And for me, over the top means leather somewhere on the outside but it is also a complement to me. Now gaudy is a bad thing.

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!---I guess you could say that mine is DRIVEN---After 300.000 miles since 1968 when first finished!----Don:D:D

Attached Files:

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've never understood why anyone cares what other people do with thier cars.

"oh, he trailered that car to the event"" ... well... did he have a good time?

fun with cars. that is what this hobby is about, I say go about it however you like.

22. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

The only reason I asked is because I plan on building the car that I am buying kind of over the top, but issue is, I will dd it. Kinda had to know it is possible.

23. I might add that if you built the car for the sole purpose of winning trophies you don't get it IMHO.

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

So does the recent name change to "Jalopy Jounalist" mean that you are now associated with the Jalopy Journal or are you just hoping that people will automatically associate you with the JaolpyJournal.com and therefore think you are someone special? :confused:

-inquiring minds need to know:rolleyes:

25. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

No, it was just something that was banging around in my head for about 6 months now and then my email was hacked and a few of the forums I frequent where hacked. I decided to take charge and make a new account... and then I learned that you can change your email stuff on your account.

No association, just a clever name.

26. love that, think its proberly more about the people then the cars in this hobby. think u hit the nail on the head there

27. erlomd

erlomd

Drive it....what can possibly go wrong?

Btw...my car seems to deviate irradically to the left when I lightly apply the drum brakes at 110? Any ideas....lol

28. A picture from 30 years ago. Family Corvettes.

[​IMG]

The maroon one on the left is a 360HP FI. Mine was a lowly 340HP car
    so I liked driving the brother-in-laws fueler whenever he'd let me.

Then it was restored in 2003 and trailered all over the country
    collecting awards. To me, he ruined the spirit of the car and made it
    feel like a delicate piece of artwork instead of the beast it really was.

[​IMG]

It was in the Portland Roadster Show a few years back when
    the B-I-L had a heart attack and asked me to go pick it up after
    the show. When I fired it up (to drive it in the trailer) you don't
    know how bad I wanted to put those NOS tires up in smoke.

Other side of the coin: he sold it last year for 160K.

29. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Can't think about not driving my ride . That's why I spent 3 years building it ! Trailers are for boats and firewood...

30. The ones I really don't get are the ones with a "driver" car that won't drive them out of town! PACK LIGHT...(tools & cloths) leave the dually at home! And if it breaks FIX IT! If your car is too "uncomfortable" to drive... take your skirt off! Or sell it and get a Caddy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.