Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. Looking at where this started, and where you're at now, this car is a jaw-dropper Chad. Amazing build, just gorgeous.

2. lukey

lukey

Thats one of the coolest dash ideas ive ever seen in a merc!

-LUKEY-

3. Lukey, It really compliments the lines on a Merc much better than the 50-51 dash in my mind. I was hesitant at first but now Im really glad I did! I have a little more in store for under the dash to hide the A/C and a few other things, stay tooned for that little hat trick.

4. That's some fine lookin shit,right there!!!!!!!! I'm jealous of your interior,haha! Mine will look pretty close to yours.

5. I just went back and reread both of your build threads end to end... dang that's been a lot of work but your car looks bitchin!

6. Well I got the 49 running, moving, and stopping under its own power today so I got them both out to be officially introduced.

Attached Files:

7. Looks Awesome!!!!
    Cant wait to see it in person.

8. Thanks guys, bad thing is they are never done!!! Tons of little stuff yet to do on the 51 but want so bad to tinker on the 49!!!!! Then theres the customer factor, they never want you to play with your own. Man did that sound bad!!!!

9. Norwegian 49 Mercury

Norwegian 49 Mercury
    from Norway

I really like this picture!
    [​IMG]

10. Had a little get together at the house this weekend. Burnt some burgers and some rubber. Friends and customers, most were both! Even had a "Peoples Choice" trophy!! 58 Corvette got it. My Mercs and Galaxie werent contenders, cant compete and put on the party!!! Conspierecy, I could hear it now!!!

Attached Files:

11. Eth, how much did you chop the roof on the red car?

12. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

Congrats! Chad, the Merc turned out grrrrrreat. the color looks classy. what size tires are you running?

Ps: Keep up the good work. Jeff

13. desertMerc

desertMerc

This thread gave me more than the bug. More like a full on infestation. Great work.

I am putting in the 53 desoto pan, grille and bumper on my 51 merc sedan and I had a couple of questions. Here goes.
    1) What is the best way to trim/alter the desoto pan to fit the merc front? I planned on pie cutting and welding the ends to fit the tighter curve of the merc and trim the pan where it rises to fit the inside curve of the fenders and extend the pan deeper to approach the merc radiator. looking for suggestions.
    2) What is the best way to attach the desoto bumper? I have the desoto bumper backets. Widened the desoto brackets to 35" to fit merc frame rails but then discovered brackets hit sway bar. Brackets are hardened steal so tough to work with. Is it easier to use merc bumper bracket? looking for suggestions.
    Any advice is welcome and pictures sure would help.
    There were only some teaser photos in this thread on the desoto pan. Any more photos in this area eth?
    Thks,
    Doug

14. Guys, thanks for the comments!!
    Doug, I attached the Desoto bumper to the Merc using the Merc and the Desoto arms. Kinda married them together in a way that they looked factory. Took some work but turned out nice. I wish I still had them for ya but anouther HAMBer got them. As for the Desoto pan, first thing is to take the teeth off to make it easier to work with. I trimmed and tucked the pan ends to fit up into the front fenders till the end tails attached to the bottoms. A little trim and fab all at the same time. Ill post a few pics I didnt post for ya. Hope they help. Let me know if ya need anything.

Attached Files:

15. Yep, Im still around!! I had been busy working on a customers 41 Willys and now that it is out of the shop, I can consintrate on finishing up my stuff. I am trying to get the 49 up and running for daily driver statis and working on the lower dash as well as odds and ends on the 51. Here are some pics of the lower dash to hide a bunch of non-traditional stuff from the regular Joe!!! I started with a 53 Chrysler dash, It has the same contour as the Desoto. I only used the lower portion and with HOURS of fabrication, cutting, and welding its ready for paint and body. Added a pair of 60 Cadillac vents and WALLA!!!! Definately not a direct fit deal!!! Man working around a painted car suxs!!!

Attached Files:

16. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Looks great Ether. Hard to make A/C look traditional but you nailed it! Worth all the hours indeed.

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

pretty spiffy there chad...

18. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

Looking damn good!

19. leadhead51

leadhead51
    from ontario

finally somebody useing there creative skills to hide a\c.i can't believe someone does so much work and money to a car and settles for the crappy plastic vents that come with the unit.the panel you fab looks fantastic as well,great job.take note plastic air vent guys,lots of 60's cars have great chrome steel vents.

20. Thanks, It was really hard to walk the line between tradition and street rod with what I was trying to accomplish!!! Finding the right vents is as hard as picking a color!!! The plastic vents were definatelly not cutting it and the two compound curves of the dashes was a chore to say the least!!!

21. tjmercury

tjmercury

WOW, read this thread from start to finish. This was an awesome build that turned into a beautiful ride! Enjoy it!

22. Well the lower dash is painted ( Big thanks to Kelly Puckett SR. and Jr.) and installed, new a/c controls, and my better steering wheel. I had Mark Clawson Instrumentation clean and lube the speedo and convert my mechanical TEMP to electric as well as the AMP to VOLT guage. Awesome work and great guy to deal with. Trannys out right now, trying to clean up a few drivability issues, David Eason of Lake City Trans is handling the slush box and hopefully on the road soon.

Attached Files:

23. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks DAMN NICE!!!!!

24. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

SWEET! Looks like your Merc is just about finished now so you can ship it to me whenever you want. I'll even take the day off to make sure I am here when they deliver it!!!!

25. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

that Chrysler lower dash portion makes the DeSoto dash look even better...I really like the original approach you took with your Merc's interior. Does the glove box portion of the lower Chrysler dash open as well? Everything looks nice and classy

26. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Dash looks good Chad.

27. Man does that look awesome!!!! Excellent job!

28. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Good dash; good man. Way to go out of the box, but still within tradition.

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent with a nice traditional, cutting edge appearance. Very Tasteful.