Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

2. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

Hi Kurtis,
    I know something about the races in Catalonia, my home soil, and perhaps can sole your doubt.
    The image posted belongs to the delayed 2nd start of 2nd Trofeo Armangué held October 29th, 1922, won by R.Benoist at the wheel of Salmson nº 2. in front of F.Armangué (Loryc)
    As you may know, the race was firstly held on June 21st but was soon cancelled due to a fatal accident involving Lombard's Salmson, when the Daimler-Sascha of a certain Alfred Neubauer, was leading.

The 3rd and last A.Trophy was held on June 3rd, 1923 and Salmsons placed 1-2 Benoist (nº 14) being beaten by teammate Desveux (nº 12) Daimlers did not participate. F. de Vizcaya (Elizalde) won the 750 class. A curiosity was to watch the notorious Violette Gourad (Aka Morris) at the wheel of a tiny 750 Benjamin.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

7. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

9. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

The "Black Sunday": VI G.P. Monza, Sept. 10th, 1933. Fatal accident at Curva Vedano during first lap of 2nd heat.
    Nº 26: Maserati 8CM Borzaccchini. Nº 22: Alfa-Romeo P3 Campari (upside down).
    Note Maserati devoid of front brakes to save weight on the banked track races.
    Later on, on delayed 3rd heat, the leading Count Czaykowski's type 54 Bugatti (chassis # 54209), left also the track in the same spot and caught fire claiming the life of the aristocrat Polish driver.

10. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

Italo Balbo, Air Marshal hero and Lybia's Governor, salutes Hans Stuck before starting the 1936 Tripoli G.P.
    Apparently, Stuck came 2nd to Italian teammate Varzi due to "orders received from above" .

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks Manel!
    I had obviously not bothered to check the 1922 results. I have since found the same photo on the cover of La Jornada Deportiva although i am having difficulty finding any useful reading material concerning the Real Moto Club de Catalunya. I have some understanding of how and when the club organised this particular race but i don't know how or when the club itself was first formed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Read the full story here... www.forix.com/8w/monza33.html

Short video...

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

The RMCC was formed in 1916 as a merge from two earlier local cycle clubs. Catalonia has been very active in the motor industry since the turn of XX
    century. The first Catalan motorcar saw the light back in 1894 and the first motorcycle a decade afterwards. Noted pre-war Catalan makes were Hispano-Suiza, Elizalde, David or the advanced Ricart (designed by the creator of the 50's Pegaso sportscar).
    Catalan motorcycles are Derbi, Bultaco, Montesa or OSSA.

18. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

Many tks for these evocative period pics. Perhaps the adition of a short foot note on them would IMHO, atract even more interest and enhance the culture of the viewer.

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

I would if i could .........but i cant read German.............:D

20. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Manel, i have many motorcycle books that concentrate on racing and the history of the earlier pioneers in each country that have in some shape or form produced a two wheeled machine but sadly not one of them mentions the history of the RMCC. In one publication there is a small mention of a club from Catalonia organising the Penya Rhin Grand Prix - the author obviously referring to the RMCC but not mentioning a name. It is understandable that some books don't mention any historical pre war facts since Spain's love affair with motorcycle racing didn't begin until after WWII. I even attempted to see if Google would be my best friend on this particular subject but even that turned out to be a waste of time.

21. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I'll take a stab at this one. Could that be Rudolph Caracciola's W25 at the 1936 Swiss GP.

22. ebtm3

ebtm3

What's the deal, weighing the car without tires?

Herb

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

It was decreed that cars had to meet the maximum weight limit - 750kg in this case - without tyres and fuel.

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like Tripoli and the W25 mercedes

25. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

A
    new G.P. formula formula was introduced for the 1934 season whose main requirements were:
    -
    Races must last a minimum of 500 km.
    -
    The max weight of the car without driver, fuel, oil, water or tires to be 750 kg. - -The min. bodywork width at the driving seat to be 850 mm .
    - Free choice of fuel.

26. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

Yes: probably, the brave L.Fagioli at the lX Tripoli G.P.1935, He came home 3rd at the wheel of the M-B W25.
    BTW: Apparently, Fagioli has been the oldest driver to win a Formula 1 G.P, sharing the Tipo 159 A-R monoposto with a guy named... Fangio.
    Guess the year and his own age?

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

He was aged 53 when he won the 1951 French GP with Fangio but sadly passed away the next year after sustaining injuries whilst competing at Monaco. True legend.

28. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Off topic for this thread but totally appropriate.

Two time Indy winner Dan Wheldon died today at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

DAN WHELDON - 22 June 1978-16 October 2011 R.I.P.

[​IMG]

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Is it my imagination, or is this car on some sort of builder / set-up /surface plate or platform? Gary

[​IMG]

30. Buildy

Buildy

Looks like a scale to me.

Not sure why they would be weighed sans tires,though.