Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Chevy 3 window, Help me build on a budget!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onerare29chevy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. n847

n847

seriously...do a little engine dress up, drop the nose, I was ok w/ the bumpers but it looks cool w/out them...I would do something with those tail pipes! A nerf bar set up would be sweet. I'm sure you could buy some kind of headlight bar set up from a ford guy and make it work. I really like 49/50 pontiac tail lights on the roll pan, but that means cutting holes. The steering wheel/column set up sucks but for now you could just throw another wheel on it. My plymouth has the same thing going on, and I'll fix it when i can afford to, but just throwing a crusty old 56 chevy wheel on it made a world of difference! Thats a cool score...Just start driving it and the rest will fall into place!

2. I like it! A different set of taillights, something more time period correct, would look.:D I don't mind the interior. It helps keep that early hot rod feel, except for the column and wheel. Come join us at "Termites and Bowties" social group too.

3. Once you've driven it a bit, I'd like to know if the honeycomb radiator keeps the engine cool? just curious, as i like the look of those rads, and I've always thought that big lump of "cast iron wonder" must have been just as hard to cool as a SBC.

4. + 1 on the hood sides. Love those early chevs!

-Pete

5. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

Love the car and what you've done with it so far. Yeah, I'd want to get the gas tank protected with a nerf or spreader bar asap, and move the tail lights to the fenders or trunk panel, to get them away from the tank.

6. MRTS33

MRTS33

Nice trade! I agree on the steering wheel and lowering the nose. Tail lights don't help the look either. I like the chrome reverse wheels. They need some meater taller tires out back to help the rake. I'd still drive the wheels off it too!! It's what you like that REALLY counts.

7. Actually the radiator seems to be keeping it too cool!!! Gauge quit working next on the list to fix.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. scottlep

scottlep

Talk to Sid's about dropping the front end.

http://www.droppedaxle.com

He can drop yours 3" or I think you can switch it our for a 47-54 truck axle which can be dropped 4".

I am building a '31 Chevy Pickup and will be going with one of his axles.

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

Very good trade.
    I have a 29 chevy coupe , but it's in about 30 pieces waiting for me to start on it.
    As for your 29 just make it yours. You sound like you have a plan allready in place.
    but I would change the headlights over to a 682 guide style, maybe with the signals on top, and for the taillights a stand style mounted on the fenders.

Attached Files:

10. What year tail lights are those, you do some really nice work, been following your threads.

11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Drive it till it quits, then make any changes that you really want to get into. Just dont forget to drive it and enjoy it for what it is. ;)

12. Ghost28

Ghost28

The tail lughts are from a 38 dodge truck, but a 37 or 38 dodge or plymouth passenger car is about the same. I am trying to find another pair, and it is not as easy as I thought it would be. The nearest I can come is aftermarket 37 ford taillights, but they don't come with a stand for mounting.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011