Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do ? Chopped top too short, sell or rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordtudor37, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Remember the saying "Be careful what you wish for, it might come true".

Finally built a 1932 Ford 3W with 2.5 inch chop and after adjusting and readjusting the seat front to back and raising the front more than the rear, I still can not find a way to be comfortable. I either have to slouch down in the seat or hunch over in order to safely see out the windshield.
    Unfortunately due to medical issues this will not work for me any longer.
    I love the fact of owning a '32, but it won't hurt my feelings if it goes down the road. Roadsters are out of the question and I doubt I could get any decent money ($5-8000) for a fiberglass body with interior in this economy.

So what would you do - (I've tried to sell for $25,000)
    Sell the car for less money to get out of it and enjoy the memories?
    OR
    Try to find a full roof height 3W body and put another 8-12K into it ?

2. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

why not un-chop it? or convert it into a roadster (coupester)? just fiberglass. make it like you want.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Changing the seat(s) would be the least amount of work and least expensive alternative. Any chance that you could switch seats?

4. I'd keep playing with your seating choices (2 1/2 inches isn't much of a chop) or unchop a bit.

5. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Or is it possible to go buckets and lower the floor board under the seat into the frame? Y'know between the drive shaft and the frame rail? Or would a cross member prevent that?

6. fordtorinogt70

fordtorinogt70

I agree with blazer, "unchop it". Ive regreted selling projects because of setbacks. Don't let yourself regret it. look at it as a chance to reinvent your rod. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Aaron Whitelaw likes this.
  7. PRB

PRB
    from Az

try tilting the seats back and putting them on the floor. It's not uncomfortable if they have some rake.

8. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Love to unchop, but I am highly allergic to fiberglass dust and have never done fiberglass work due to that. We are talking fingers looking like sausages and looking like I have hives all while trying to breath.
    I can tell when someone has been working fiberglass even hours before because of my allergic reaction.
    What little sanding or drilling I have had to do, I made sure I'm suited up and the shop vac is running with the suction nozzle right next to the point of disruption in order to capture everything.
    I've tried buckets and a bench from a Dodge Caravan so far and I can't chance the floor due to cross members.
    Angling the seats backwards I tried with no luck already. The back of the seat is on the floor and the front is 2 inches up.

9. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Its only chopped 2.5"? wow you must be about 6'5" or taller to be wadded up that bad. change the seats out and get some driving done.

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

try buckets from a fiero, almost flat on ground. good luck

11. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Go to a reputable interior shop and have a nice custom bench seat made to fit you.

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'll second that thought. You must be very tall, because 2.5" is nothing. Either that, or you have a strange raised floor. Like Plowboy said, is there something blocking you from dropping the seat in a little through? If not, it wouldn't be any big deal to do & wouldn't raise any dust other than cutting out a hole for the seat. You could go to a restaurant supply store & get a baking pan & screw the lips of the pan to your glass floor. It's be a quasi-channel, so to speak....call it a "butt channel." I had to tweak my situation by cutting a hole in the seat, so I sat about an inch or two closer to the floor..a real "bucket seat." Would that be a possibility? I've also seen hot rods where there is just a seat back & a rudimentary pad attached to the floor. For pity sake, don't abandon your dream for something that's ultimately fixable.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the hazards of driving any chopped vehicle with a solid roof is that you are going to get a crik in your neck sooner or later. I've got over 100K on the 48 since I chopped it in 1981 and I've spent a lot of time ducking down to see traffic lights and what not.

Plowboy 13 and Fleetside66 did hit on a concept that I have seen work in the past. the Channeled 32 Cabriolet (also chopped) that Perry Lassiter of Waco, Tx had in the early 70's had seats done that way that had been done years before. The seat cushions sat in wells on each side of the driveshaft. He was/is way over six something and the car was a bit of a challenge for him to drive but he could get in with the top on and drive it on road trips.

14. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Appreciate all the suggestions, thank you.
    To clarify a few things, I am only 5'-8 but due to issues I need to sit up as much as possible while driving, AKA no slouching. The first thing I did when building the car was to install a street light viewing glass (forgot the name of it).
    The seat has been adjusted numerous times all while keeping the rear at least one to two inches lower than the front. Someone suggested that maybe the cushioning in the front part of the seat bottom is too soft ?
    Ever heard of that ?
    Do "high" back buckets really help over "low" back bucket seats ?
    My wife thinks I should change to high backs due to the lack of support from low backs.
    The neck creak thing is what causes my right arm to go knumb after 30 minutes of driving so I try to lean back, which does nothing for the back.
    When sitting up my problem is the top of the windshield is right at eye level which causes the hunch over and then related back issue from hunching start up.
    Sinking the pan was an idea I actually when out and looked at when another reader suggested it yesterday, but the rear crossmember for the center section goes right thru that area on both sides.

PLEASE keep the suggestions coming I appreciate the help.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  15. Post photos of what's in the car now, but I suspect a different seat is in order.

16. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

These are like the seats I used in my 1930 A.
    http://www.streetrodseats.com/bucketseats.php

They set right on the floor and have sliders and lean back. From floor to top of frame is 2" with out foam and vinyl. I chopped the backs down so they would look better in my car. My car is chopped 4" and channeled 4".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. It is a glass '32? It was already chopped and you took another 2.5 out of it?

I guess I would try and trade it for another body to someone that was going to give theirs a whack. it saves them some time and saves you some heartache.

In the current economy, although there are a lot of folks that still have cash, 25k is a ton of money. I think that barter is the way to go for you.

18. kingpins

kingpins

i was thinking the same thing chopped 2.5??? and there is no room?

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I see no way for anyone to help out unless you can post pics of the Car & The seats,

Kinda hard to vision a 5'8" guy not fitting in a 2.5" Chopped '32

Is it Channeled a Bunch ?

Post some pics to get a better Look so maybe someone can Help out the Situation.

20. Larry T

Larry T

I'm kind of curious about the seats that are in the car too. I'm not a real big fan of bucket seats in a 32, but if it's the difference in being able to drive the car and selling it, I think I'd look at some seats out of a Corvette or ??.

I've used Kirkey racing seats and they seem to give more leg room and can sit close to the floor too. They might be a little rough on a 500 mile trip, but then again, if it's something that will allow you more seat time they might be an option.
    Larry T

21. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

After reading all of the suggestions and your replies to them.
    I would advise selling the car or trading it for a fifties automobile. With your medical condition and sitting requirements...you need a comfortable vehicle to ride/drive. Cars of the mid fifties like 55-59 Chevies or Fords, Pontiacs etc. should work for you.
    Forget about cramped up 28 to 38 coupes!

22. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I am 6'1" and had a 3.5" chopped 3w coupe.........to compensate for the chop I bought a 3" lower bench seat from GLIDE......I never had any difficulty with headroom........I also had a *traffic light viewer* in it.......and the seat was all the way back against the bulkhead......I have long legs.....worked fine for me for almost 10 years.....

Good luck...hope you find the answer to your issue...

CB

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree if you can'tmake the 32 work. Maybe a 40's fat fendered car or 49-51 Merc? 6 way power bench seat that you can prop your right arm on.
    If you can't sell it, be open to trade. Maybe even trade down, taking a nearly finished car minus paint/interior and finish to your specs.

24. Make the seat bottom cushion skinner, as in what you'd see in a severely channeled car.

25. alchemy

alchemy

I am 6 foot, drive a stock height '32 tudor with a stock seat, and have way over 2.5 inches left above my head. I would think that any seat mounted lower than a stock seat should give you much more room than you need.

We need clear pics of the seat base, and of you sitting in the car. I just can't imagine how you are not fitting.

26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Post pics and I'm sure someone will see a way to get a seat down lower so you can drive it. You could sell or trade the car and try to find a extended pickup cab. I know several companies make them like that for more leg room now.

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is a stock type ( original ) 32 Ford 3W seat frame. See how close to the floor it sits. LOOK at where the top of the seat is in relationship to the back window. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall ... and have plenty of room in my unchopped 3W.

[​IMG]

I believe I would build myself a new seat frame. Pretty simple really. The photos below are of a fabricated seat ... made to look like a original 32 3W seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Larry
    he mentioned health issues being a problem. I know that with my legs and back sitting on the floor has become extremly uncomfortable I need to sit up a little with my legs angled down.

Maybe that is his health related issue but it is something to think about.

29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

30. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I went to his profile and found the car in question and his current seats. Looks like they set really high. I think there is an easy fix for this with just some better seats.

Attached Files:

Aaron Whitelaw likes this.