Register now to get rid of these ads!

Telephone Bed

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by unkamort, Nov 1, 2008.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

this would also make an awesome trailer for a business. what surprised me is that it still has the metal containers still inside. I am sure those go missing first.

2. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

bump. I would hate to see this get scrapped. even though the guy wants way too much money for it IMO

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Im suprised no one is interested in the bed... Its no teardrop trailer accomidations but it would make a great hobby trailer. Someone save it. ..

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There is a 48 to 53 dodge in a local junkyard that has a similar looking bed but I am in Ohio.

5. unkamort

unkamort

#60 Don't think you will find many cleaner that that one!

6. daddio211

daddio211

7. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

there is one for sale, built into a trailer here in kc. more of an older utility bed style. i can get pics and a price if anyone is interested.

8. 69supercj

69supercj

Just saw one of these last year at the Joplin swapmeet, it was on a 57 or 8 Ford F100. Solid ole truck.

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Stolen from General Gow's pics!!:D:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that truck was so rad. haven't seen it since that day. but i haven't been to Plumb Corner in a while either.

11. daddio211

daddio211

I'd love to see more info on it if you get a chance. I don't need another project right now, but always trying to amass info on those pet-project things that are obscure.

12. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Slick Willy, I hadn't seen that truck before!

13. Tennessean

Tennessean

I own a 1956 Chevrolet 3100 series Pacific Bell telephone trunk. My dad purchased this truck in 1974 and used it for business. When he retired it he gave it to me. I was with him when he purchased this truck in Los Angeles, California, at that time it had a Pacific Bell logo on the doors and was painted "Bell System Green" it still has some of the original paint on the backside of the doors of the utility box. As most telephone men knew back in the day that the Bell telephone company had a lot of their own things and equipment made especially for the Bell Telephone Company and they had their own paint colors specially made for them, Bell System was large. Since 1974 it has been painted at least five times that I know of. I completely sandblasted the truck and it has faded primer on it right now. As anybody knows unless you have a lot of money, restoration can take a while, as it is in my case. I recently spent close to $800 for bias ply tires for this truck. I finally built a 2 car garage to get it out of the elements. The truck is all original down to the original tube type radio. It is a daily driver. I occasionally take it to car shows in my area. I am currently looking for a few items for the inside of the utility box to make it complete. My dad either threw these things away or lost them somewhere. If anybody knows someone that has these parts and are willing to sell them please have them contact me. I could probably have these parts made but I do not have an example to build by. Eventually this will be completely restored back to a Pacific Bell telephone trunk, over the years I have collected original tools and equipment that would have been in this truck. I am new to this forum and just happened to be search the Internet for these parts that I need and found this discussion.

Attached Files:

14. daddio211

daddio211

Welcome, and COOL TRUCK! I think you're going to be stuck having someone fabricate those pieces you need.

15. Tennessean

Tennessean

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping that someone will come up with a lead to these parts off of another old truck utility box. I wish I would have known about the one that was on Craig's list,I guess there is no way to get in touch with that person now ? hopefully the box has not been sold for scrap. I did see one of these utility box on eBay that did not sell but it was also missing those two parts. I'm not in a big hurry right now as I am not in the stage of tearing it down and repainting the truck but I hope something will show up,I will keep on looking.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There is a 50s International in a local junkyard that has a similar bed and I looked closely at it the last time I was there and looked to have all its drawers but the top of the bed has rotten and water has gotten in all over and what was there looked rough but I will be there saturday and can look for any specific things you need.

17. Tennessean

Tennessean

Thank you for the offer to look. all I need is the two items that are in the photo that I Posted that are circled. My utility box is made by Highway trailer company and it is a type IU-76 The main piece I would really like to try to find is the rack that goes on the upper part of the back door that is circled in the photo. If you could take pictures of this utility box if you find these parts I would really appreciate it even if you use your cell phone to take the photo or if you want you can give me a junkyards phone number and I will deal with them If they have these parts.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have no idea on who the manufacture is and will look when I go back.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I looked at it and did not have what you were looking for and if it did they would have been very rough,I did not have a camera with me but will be going back soon.

20. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

In case you're wondering..

Bell telephone truck green and Packard engine green from the 1930's are the same color.

Bill Hirsch has it in rattle cans and quarts.

Shawn

21. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

i need the back doors and handle if anyone has some extras! :D my bed looks just like the 53 chevy ^^^above^^^

22. Tennessean

Tennessean

I appreciate it very much for you checking on those parts for me. It would be good if you can get a photo if you think of it next time that way if anybody else needs any parts off of it at least it will show what is still left on it.

23. Tennessean

Tennessean

Thanks Lotek_Racing I will keep that in mind. Was that same color green used in 1956?. I have noticed different colored Bell System green on tools and first-aid kits.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might be going back next saturday and hope to remember my camera.

25. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Of course while searching in Canada. I found that exact bed for sale. Now where did I see it? Oh boy.

26. Tennessean

Tennessean

From what I have been told Canada has kept pretty good records of their Telephone Company history.

27. Tennessean

Tennessean

I am still looking for these parts that I need for my truck bed. If someone knows of a person's selling one of these beds let me know. Thanks. See photo.

Attached Files:

28. daddio211

daddio211

29. When I started working for the NY Tel Co in 1969 the first truck I drove was a 1/2 pickup think they called them LIU's or something like that, they were being fased out about then for vans

30. daddio211

daddio211

LIU stood for Long Island Utility, "a" maker of the boxes. Many different companies built these under their own name, but LIU became the known term... kinda like Xerox.